Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What a scam!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-scam-t299889.html)

Faintly Artistic 10-01-2018 12:21 PM

I have a free app on my phone called "Should I Answer". I was getting a dozen calls a day from the same telemarketer. I haven't had but a few calls since I got it. When you get a call with a number it doesn't recognize, it asks if you want to answer. If I do and it is a robocall, I leave a negative review for that number and now it blocks it and alerts others who have it.

mac 10-01-2018 03:39 PM

The funniest ones that I have gotten recently, from the so-called 'Microsoft' people, is that Microsoft owes me a refund. Yeah, right. I am sure that they will want my credit card number so that they can put the 'credit' on it and then help themselves to my credit card. NO way, no how.

M.Elizabeth 10-01-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 8135844)
All of this is a sad story about the deviousness of all too many people. We get half a dozen of these calls a day. Mostly, we just don't pick up!

I never pick up and think I have finally succeeded in getting my husband not to answer!

cathyvv 10-01-2018 08:10 PM

I got two calls today from 'Microsoft Security Department'. Each call had the exact same robo-message. Apparently I or my computer is committing fraud! Seems If i don't respond, eventually there will be a warrant for my arrest. I deleted both messages from my messages.

You know what is really nervy? They don't even put a real human on the call!

Onebyone 10-02-2018 03:49 AM

Apparently my car warranty is scheduled to expire-- every month for the last year. LOL

Chasing Hawk 10-02-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8136456)
Apparently my car warranty is scheduled to expire-- every month for the last year. LOL

Those calls would start with us when my truck was about 4 years old, at the time it still had around 50,000 miles left on Chrysler/Damlier's warranty. We don't drive my truck much, it just hit 75,000 miles and it is 11 years old.

bunbytes 10-02-2018 07:17 PM

After getting daily and hourly calls from these cretins, I started using an air horn when I answered the phone. Fixed that problem.

ptquilts 10-03-2018 03:18 AM

Well I may have a gold mine on my hands - a phone number that seems to be immune from telemarketing calls. I have had it for a year and a half (tracfone) and after a few calls the first month, that I did not answer, NOTHING.

Who would like to start the bidding at $500?

Macybaby 10-03-2018 04:08 AM

those car warranty ones crack me up. I started getting calls when my car was near 7 years old and the factory warranty was 100,000 or 7 years. I put a lot of miles on my car so at the time it had 185,000 and the warranty had expired long ago. They keep promising that it's my "last chance" and if I don't respond I'll miss out. But they keep calling back.

mac 10-03-2018 01:35 PM

I just got a scary call this morning. This was a recording that used my first and last name and said that there was a legal action being taken against me. That not continuing on with the phone call would be considered a 'non-compliance' and legal proceedings would be started immediately.

Of course, I hung up. The scary part was that they used my first and last name. That is a little more sophisticated than I am used to getting.