Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-people-ask-hand-outs-donations-t48820.html)

Jingle 06-10-2010 09:40 AM

I changed my mind and won't donate unless I partcipate in something for someone else.

wildyard 06-10-2010 10:10 AM

I can understand anyone not wanting to be taken advantage of. It happens, I know. And if someone is going around hitting up many members with PMs asking for things, that just doesn't seem right to me either, and I agree it should be reported. That is very different than announcing to the board in general that one needs a certain kind of fabric and asking for help or to trade. It's also different than asking for one of the bundles that is offered up for grabs when someone is passing it forward.
Everyone is so giving and generous on this board. Just today a whole flock of birds flew into my house from dear Martina down in Texas. I was so excited to see them!! My son let me know that he wants birds on his quilt when I get around to making it! I may be putting out the call for help on that when the time gets nearer, as I don't come across too much bird material at the thrift stores where I shop.
I love getting fabric, and I love passing it forward when I can. When I find something good at the thrift store, I get it just so I can pass it forward or trade, depending on what works for the person that wants it. I love this board!!!

Martina 06-10-2010 10:23 AM

I am glad you like the "birds".. :thumbup: I love to share, trade,and give because of the many people like you on this board!! I love it here too :lol:

SuziC 06-10-2010 10:37 AM

I think it's a Great thing to help out others who ask. I have been the recipient and also the donor. Even if i don't know the person i feel better knowing i could do something little to brighten their world. If it's a "scam" so be it! Only the one who gives in earnest get the true reward....."kindness of heart"

Alu_Rathbone 06-10-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw

Originally Posted by JanetM

Originally Posted by marsye
I don't want to sound like a witch here but how do you know people are being honest when they ask for hand outs or donations because they can't afford it, etc? I have always wondered about this when you can't actually see them and their situation. I'm always willing to help someone in need when I can see whats going on with my own eyes but online how can you be sure your not being snookered? I'm not pointing my finger at anybody on here. We also have a local forum in our town and people ask for hand outs on there too. Please don't hit me! I'll cry. :lol:

I don't know if there is any way you can be completely sure.
I have helped several people and know that they were sincere and appreciative.
But I can think of one person that I do think took advantage of the generosity of our members. The outpouring was tremedous, and she received essentially a new sewing room but all I saw was a quick Thanks. I've seen some other "questionable" requests that just don't ring true. If it doesn't feel right, take a pass.

Are you kidding ? This person received a new sewing room ? Well good god ! This is something that has just rubbed me the wrong way . I have seen several new members , very first post , " I'm new send me some fabric " ! Well how nervy can you be ! Never saw their names online again either .

I don't have much but not begging either . Bev this isn't aimed at you at all my friend . I love your pics of your blocks as you post them . I recently sent Bev some small pieces , and don't mind sharing what I do have . Annie

I received a lot from the women on here, and I did make a thank you thread, and I still have yet to get around to getting photos taken of the things of the items I received. But not only did I make a thread I send thank you cards to those who sent me things or I tried to get everyone a thank you card. I think a very small handful of people did not receive a card. I know that the woman who sent me the sewing machine did not receive one, but that was due to not having an address to send one to. But I did make sure to thank her for the machine one here...

MadQuilter 06-10-2010 01:37 PM

I think most of the people on this board are wonderful and caring. When I send something to share with someone, I do so from the heart and not with an expectation of profuse thank you notes or messages. In a perfect world, I simply want to know that the squishy got there and that it is useful to the person. That said, I consider it rude when a gift is not even acknowledged but I won't let someone's rudeness change my ways.

I read recently in a German quilting forum that the moderators disallowed requests for charitable contributions unless the resulting works went to a community-based cause OR there was some form of exchange. I hope we won't end up here. After all, if someone asks for a hand-out (or a hand-up) it is up to each and every one of us individually whether we want to share with that person or not.

Martina 06-10-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I think most of the people on this board are wonderful and caring. When I send something to share with someone, I do so from the heart and not with an expectation of profuse thank you notes or messages. In a perfect world, I simply want to know that the squishy got there and that it is useful to the person. That said, I consider it rude when a gift is not even acknowledged but I won't let someone's rudeness change my ways.

I read recently in a German quilting forum that the moderators disallowed requests for charitable contributions unless the resulting works went to a community-based cause OR there was some form of exchange. I hope we won't end up here. After all, if someone asks for a hand-out (or a hand-up) it is up to each and every one of us individually whether we want to share with that person or not.

:thumbup: well said Martina :thumbup: This is about what I was trying to say when I posted...I am not sure if it came across that way...but here ya go people......WHAT SHE SAID!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

roseOfsharon 06-10-2010 02:42 PM

:) I do think that the mbrs here are generous and wishing only the best for each other. A helping hand, a trade, a gift of fabric or the sale of an item is all in the spirit of things among quilters. Let's not change, keep the faith and charity alive! Yay, quilters! :D

joyceinoh 06-10-2010 02:55 PM

I am in a couple of Yahoo groups that make things and send to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are a lot of those kids (at my age, I call em kids) that have no families, were raised in foster homes. No one to send them even a letter. We send them care boxes of goodies or what ever.
also make and send cool ties and crocheted slippers and hats.
blankets for those wounded. I did not know that if they get their clothes blown off in battle that they have to buy new. So a blanket may be all they have at the time. :cry:
All that to say that most people in those groups are honest but ever so often you find a moocker.

nellie 06-10-2010 05:11 PM

well i agree some of you not all i,ve been here since 2007 or more and have seen the same one asking for a hand out ,but like someone said it,s our hobby we should support our own hubby why can,t they use and make do with want they can use i also get s.s. checks as well,if sewing makes me happy then i,ll find a way to do it i,ll save money, go to goodwill, use old cloths,buy sheets from sale,s or yard sale,s,i mean come on if you have internet then you can afford to find a way im sure but im sorry to say this but some are just lazy they want it to come to them and not even offer to pay for shipping cost or a thank you later im sorry i said that but it,s ture ,i can,t or won,t expect anyone to keep supporting my hobby and im not a bad person eighter i give to the hungery on the streets and buy food for familys that have childern or help seniors that need food ,ive even gone as far as paying for peoples copay for their meds,it,s like my paster always say,s common sense pepole use your common sense and i truely believe that .when there,s a will there,s a way ,im not going to wait for fabric to fall on my lap or ask for it i,ll buy it when i have the money for it, or if i need it that bad gee i,ll go take my can,s that i collect for cash it better then asking. that,s just the way i see it. i think new people see others asking so they think i do the same thing too.i think if you need fabric then wait for someone to offer some for free but give then a thank you and send them something for there help the needy can also give back .sorry for beining so hard but it,s ture enough is enough we all have hard times right now including myself