Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-people-ask-hand-outs-donations-t48820.html)

Mousie 06-10-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bettia

Originally Posted by marsye

Originally Posted by justme
I have to agree with Barnbum:

"I would never ever ever have asked anyone for fabric. Nor would I have hinted I'd like some."

I would never ask for ANYTHING unless I was awful desperate!
But I don't mind giving when I can when I know they need it. I will feed you if your hungry but I won't buy you cigarettes.

I'm sooooooo hungry!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! run over to her donut shop, Bettia!!!
But don't get the kind with the quilt designs...you won't be able to bring yourself to eat it!
MMM, try the blueberry filled glaze...dang it, girlfriend, now I'M hungry too...ok, let's bust the joint wide open...Marsye, here we come...hide the stash! ;)

Mousie 06-10-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by marsye

Originally Posted by Bettia
MARRRRR SYE
Are you listening???????????

OK OK!!!! I'm here now!!! Geeeezzzzz!!!

OH MAN!!!! forget the donuts...YUM!!!!!!! :-P

Martina 06-10-2010 08:35 AM

I can tell you a little story that may explain why we should keep helping others if we can.It should not be because we have to but because we want to!
For many years I volunteered for the Salvation Army and got really fed up with some of the people who came in there on a regular basis to ask for food and clothing and having a fancy cell phone in their hand, and a much nicer car outside then I have. I mentioned these concerns to the supervisor and she explained to me. You see she said “The cell phones are almost a necessity nowadays, some people can’t afford home phones and if they are looking for a job, they just simply need a phone and we cannot forget emergencies if they have children. As for the cars, well it may not be theirs it may be a neighbors or a friends, and who can drag 10 bags of groceries home without transportation?” Ashamed of my premature judging, I went on with my business but she knew that I had a real problem with her explanation. She came back and smiled at me and said” Look, it is like this….some people will take advantage of us and there will always be people who are not honest. BUT...if we feed only one child that really needs us and is hungry……we done our job.” This note is in memory of Teresa…..the biggest humanitarian I have ever had the pleasure to work with and be friends with.
A couple of days ago I promised myself...That’s it I will not do this anymore and I am fed up with people who can't even take the time to send you a note, telling you if they got their gift or not. Well…today Teresa came back into my mind and I knew that I will keep giving because it simply makes me feel good.
I hope you all have a great day !!! :-)

Mousie 06-10-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I am more interested in giving again to people that seem appreciative - especially folks in the relative group.

I do not expect anyone to give up their first-born child or pension fund, but a "thank you" - even if one is less than elated about the offering - seems reasonable - and good manners.

I've learned a long time ago that "keeping things in circulation" works out a lot better than "exchanging" or "paying back"

I'm happy to see someone say that they like, "just keep things circulating"...bc what can happen sometimes, is a person would like to do for each one that did for them, and after a while, the pile of "obligations" is so heavy they feel bad.
someone on here said the other day that they don't make 'to do lists', just enjoying the quilting ride and the changing scenery.
That's the healthiest outlook to have, bc we all know we have more projects than time, etc. and after a while your so bogged down with "have-to's"...the fun goes out of it all.
I just do what I can, when I can, give here and there, but always, pray I remember to say THANK YOU! bc I am truly blessed down to my socks by even a little card.
I love being part of such a caring group of ppl that feel like family to me! :D

BellaBoo 06-10-2010 09:09 AM

I tend to think anyone that is always needing will always need. I share and give to quilters who can share and give to others.

Jingle 06-10-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Someone sent me a PM too send her selvages I mailed her a small box of them, after I sent them she PMd me again and said she need 1" or 1-1/2" of fabric with the selvages, I told her she didn't tell me that before I sent them, as I just cut off the selvages and use the rest. She did not PM to say she recieved the box. I will not do anything like that again. I don't really care what people think of me, I won't be taken again.
I grew up dirt poor and we never asked anyone for anything and I don't like to be asked for anything. If I want to give something I will give, don't like to be asked. Every year I donate lots of really nice, usable items to S.A or GW and I never get a receipt.
Thankfully there aren't too many "slugs" like that on this board.
If I couldn't afford to buy fabric I would not ask anyone for it. I have noticed one woman on here asked for fabric, said she couldn't afford to buy it. Then she posted later that she bought a new sewing machine and a little later she posted that her and her Hubby took a vacation. Haven't seen her on here after that. I think that was pretty crummy.
Like I said before, I don't care what anyone thinks of me for feeling like I do.
Sorry for this being so long, is a hot point with me. I don't like beggers.

Jingle 06-10-2010 09:33 AM

I grew up dirt poor and we never asked anyone for anything and I don't like to be asked for anything. If I want to give something I will give, don't like to be asked. Every year I donate lots of really nice, usable items to S.A or GW and I never get a receipt.
If I couldn't afford to buy fabric I would not ask anyone for it. I have noticed one woman on here asked for fabric, said she couldn't afford to buy it. Then she posted later that she bought a new sewing machine and a little later she posted that her and her Hubby took a vacation. Haven't seen her on here after that. I think that was pretty crummy.
Like I said before, I don't care what anyone thinks of me for feeling like I do.
Sorry for this being so long, is a hot point with me. I don't like beggers.[/quote]

Jingle 06-10-2010 09:35 AM

Sorry for this being so long, is a hot point with me. I don't like beggers.[/quote]

roseOfsharon 06-10-2010 09:36 AM

I want , I want , I want... lol well I do, but I must say, my wants are for friendship and a feeling of belonging. If I should be so lucky and become the receiver of a small donation, I will thank you and for sure help another when can. Reading this topic, I had mixed feelings of receiving as to giving, meaning I surly would not want some to think I were a moocher or a needy person. If I were to accept or raise my hand for a pkg at times it would be because I would enjoy something of another's choosing and make something to keep from that "someone", sorta like a piece of the "board" so to speak. If the day came I really was in dire need of a pkg to be able to quilt, I certainly would hope it would come from the heart and generousity of the giver. A thank you would be given with true heartfelt joy.

If there are some that come to take advantage of the openess of quilters generousity, then shame on them for sure, but I feel that giving something to those that ask, if you are able, is a joy and a priviledge and a pleasure. I hope that any that read this topic will not shy away from asking if in need. Bless the heart of a giver and the heart of the thankful receiver...

Sharon

Jingle 06-10-2010 09:37 AM

I got the one on the selvages also and don't know if she got them or not, I never heard from her.
Every year I donate lots of really nice, usable items to S.A or GW and I never get a receipt.