Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-people-ask-hand-outs-donations-t48820.html)

mamaw 06-08-2010 04:57 PM

I do not give to anyone online, because people can really make themselves sound alot worse off than they really are. I know it from experience. Don't mean to sound bitter, just telling it like it has been in my experience. I apologize to those of you who really are in need.

barnbum 06-08-2010 05:00 PM

I think it's strange/forward for folks to ask... just raise your hand if someone offers.

brushandthimble 06-08-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327

Originally Posted by Lockeb
Marsye,
Thanks for starting this thread....it is an interesting read....I think that many of us have been wondering :-)

Ditto.

Ditto again Marsye.
Months ago I sent a large box, never heard a thing. I have sent out a couple on the pay if forward thread, and have one more to go out. All have responed with a thank you. For the last two I did have to ask for postage, like many here, unemployement has run out.

Gramof6 06-08-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
What I get weary of is the "Oh, I wish I could afford it." line. It just gets old.

Ditto! Or the " I have no money" line.

These statements make me feel guilty due to what I do have. I love to help a fellow quilter out if they need it. And I do. But...there is a fine line in helping and full fledge supporting their hobby. If I could not afford to sew or quilt, I would not expect anyone else to support my hobby. I will help anyone that needs help if I can though. Fully supporting them, no.

barnbum 06-08-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6

Originally Posted by barnbum
What I get weary of is the "Oh, I wish I could afford it." line. It just gets old.

Ditto! Or the " I have no money" line.

These statements make me feel guilty due to what I do have. I love to help a fellow quilter out if they need it. And I do. But...there is a fine line in helping and full fledge supporting their hobby. If I could not afford to sew or quilt, I would not expect anyone else to support my hobby. I will help anyone that needs help if I can though. Fully supporting them, no.

Exactly. When we had little extra money, I used a Joanne's credit card for the points and waited for the 15th of each month to get the gift card in the mail in order to shop.

I would never ever ever have asked anyone for fabric. Nor would I have hinted I'd like some.

Just a turn off for me...

justme 06-08-2010 05:30 PM

I have to agree with Barnbum:

"I would never ever ever have asked anyone for fabric. Nor would I have hinted I'd like some."

roseOfsharon 06-08-2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I love to help others all that I can, I figure if they are being dishonest then that is on them. I had asked for help with sports fabric once and I received so much I had to start turning ppl down cause I didn't want to seem greedy. What ever I had left over I sent to another quilter that was in need of the same thing. That being said I prefer to come across the person and not receive a PM asking for help especially when they are brand new to the QB and know they can't post in the classifieds until they are regular members. I always try to let ppl know where my fabric comes from so that I don't waste my time. I could go on forever but I will stop.

I got a pm too asking for selvedges. The person joined April 23, 2010. Sent me the pm May 8, 2010. I just checked and the person has created 0 topics and made 0 responses to post. I have read post that 'gave me a funny feeling' but how would we ever know? We just have to make the best decisions we can, bless it and go on.

I too have gotten the pm for selvedges.. so she does not attend the board now? I was going to mail some as I got some lol. Now I am not sure .

marsye 06-08-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by justme

"I would never ever ever have asked anyone for fabric. Nor would I have hinted I'd like some."

I would never ask for ANYTHING unless I was awful desperate!
But I don't mind giving when I can when I know they need it. I will feed you if your hungry but I won't buy you cigarettes.

roseOfsharon 06-08-2010 05:40 PM

Seems this is another topic that raises eyebrows. Being helpful and being used are two different things. And as some have said, a thank you or a display of something being made with the donation is a true gift in return. I am sure there are times when we all could use a donation to get one through a rough period. I won't say that someone should not quilt because they cannot afford fabric, as we all know, it is an outlet and great for the mind and relaxing as well. Many here have come up with ingenious ideas of how to work around being without, such as yard sales, thrift shops, clothes no longer being worn etc. but, a gift from a quilter, a friend or new friend is always a blessing in times of need. I hope no one becomes to cynical to close the door to a healthy donation for the good of another, be it small or large, for most it is greatly appreciated.

Bettia 06-08-2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by marsye

Originally Posted by justme

I would never ask for ANYTHING unless I was awful desperate!
But I don't mind giving when I can when I know they need it. I will feed you if your hungry but I won't buy you cigarettes.

I'm sooooooo hungry!!!!!!!!!!!