Pronunciations

Old 12-28-2023, 02:17 PM

My mother-in-law says "flustrated" instead of "frustrated". Lol. It describes her pretty accurately.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:07 AM

did you grow up in warshington? I note myself and many coharots say wr for wa words
[QUOTE=quiltsfor;8629766]Some pronunciations come with what part of the country you are from or in.

I say worsh for wash,/QUOTE]
Old 12-29-2023, 08:52 AM

My oldest sister and my brother say "tee-en" instead of 'teen' as in four-tee-en. But my middle sister and I say it the proper way. We were all brought up in the same house. Go figure.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=quiltsfor;8629766]Some pronunciations come with what part of the country you are from or in.

I say worsh for wash, with the r sound like the word wore with an sh at the end, can't stop doing it - its how it is pronounced from where I grew up. /QUOTE]

I grew up saying that, too. My parents were from far southern Illinois, if that's a point of similarity.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:09 PM

Being a Canadian with American cousins, different pronunciations have been a way of life for me. Sometimes I have to think about what I'm hearing to figure it out but context helps and by the end of the story I've caught up. My uncle always said "crick" for "creek" and "ruff" for "roof". When I took my training as a teacher of English as a second language, we had quite the spirited discussions about how to pronounce words since however we teach it is how language learners will then know it. With a Brit and Kiwi in our class, our vowels got a real workout. It is interesting to note how we string words together in phrases rather than pronouncing each word separately which makes creating those phonetic markings a challenge.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:11 AM

My favorite mispronunciation is Siri pronouncing "Alamo" as a-lame-o!