What would you do?

Old 12-22-2023, 04:14 AM

Default What would you do?

My father, 93 asked me to repair a quilt I made 9 years ago. First time ever that I have seen so many fabric pieces torn, become thin and the white fabrics dull. This quilt is beyond fixing, due to over washing it and he takes a nap on it several times daily. He gave me the quilt and its not worth my time trying to fix it. I am making him a new one without his knowledge and hoping to get it done by Christmas. Possible if I can stay motivated...tough as I still have so much going on but possible. My sister disagrees with me and said if he asked you to fix it...just fix it. I am not going to. I am debating of not bringing over the old one...I would like to throw it out. I know he will love the new one as it is more his style. I made the first one with my mothers style and it was a gift to her. Would you bring both quilts over or just gift wrap up the new one? I doubt he has attachment to quilt, besides the fact I made it.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:19 AM

I would salvage a pillow for him out of the old one and gift him the new one. You are a sweet, caring daughter.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:18 AM

This is a great idea!!! I will make him a pillow after the new year.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:07 AM

I wouldn't yet cut or throw out the old quilt, but I wouldn't "repair" it either. Over washing or the products you use, dry bleach can take years off a quilt. I tell people that while my quilts are designed to be machine made and machine washable tbut hat cotton is a natural fiber and it is only natural that it was change with age and use

I have put on new tops or backs over the familiar favorite quilts, incorporating a tattered worn out blanky inside a quilt going to college.. My husband just destroyed a quilt I made him before he moved to be with me... long story but he got threw it into a bag with some stinky stuff and the smell transferred over. He freaked out that I would be so mad at him and instead of telling me and me doing some scent control, he washed it like 7 times in a row and just thrashed the vintage fabric I used for the back. Here it is 20 years later and with the new back the quilt is still with us and made the move.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:08 AM

A friend of mine asked me to repair an old quilt for her. I looked at it and thought I saw only 30 2x2 inch blocks that needed replaced but once I got it home there were more than 60 blocks to replace. These were the old, old fabrics, that medium green you can't replace easily but I found similar fabrics and then faded them with a weak solution of bleach so they were about the same density of color. Hand stitched each little block back in place and then added a bit of simple quilting to tie all the layers together. Years later she asked me to fix it again but I told her the last time it was almost beyond repair so she asked me to make her a new quilt which I was happy to do. Sent her photos of quilts I'd made in the past and she picked out one she liked and loved the fabrics too. Luckily I still had most all that fabric and enough to make her the over sized lap quilt. And yes, I used up every bit of that fabric to finish that quilt.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Maybe your Dad was thinking he was doing you a favor by asking you to fix his old quilt instead of asking for a new one?

Many people just have no idea of how challenging fixing an old item can be
Old 12-22-2023, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

It's a tough situation ... you don't want to upset your Dad, and I can appreciate this could go in different directions as to his reaction to how you handle the situation. Here's a different perspective than others have mentioned.........

You mentioned it was your Mom's quilt. While this may not be your Dad's style and you are replacing it with one more like him, the fact that it was your Mom's could be exactly why your Dad wants it repaired. To hold on to your Mom and his memories of her. Not fixing it may hurt him.

The pillow is a good idea as an option, though that too may still hurt his feelings as it is not whole. I've seen some old quilts using top stitching to put things back in place and hold down loose pieces. Or machine quilting with a large meander, to hold the shifting batting that we see in old ones, as well as catch the loose seams. Just some ideas for you to consider.

Good Luck ... and I hope you can do this so that Dad is happy with the end result.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I'd say so sorry Dad but the quilt is not repairable. I made you a new one. We have to fold and put this old quilt on the back of a chair so you can see it but not use it. If your sister is insisting on getting the quilt repaired give it to her and say be my guest.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I have a feeling your sister isn't a quilter.
I love the idea of bringing both or making a pillow out of the old one is a good idea too. If the old one was your mother's he may have a sentimental attachment to it?
You are indeed a sweet daughter.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:56 AM

I was also thinking about the sentimental attachment when I said I wouldn't alter the existing quilt yet. Present new quilt first and see how it goes over.

One way to salvage a bit more use out of a worn out special quilt is with bridal illusion veil. Chose a soft one and layer over the top and quilt down, you can leave any frayed fabric just as is. Usually need to replace the bindings too... and if the design can handle (like if there is a plain fabric border) the easiest way to deal with that is simply cut it off.