What would you do?

Old 12-22-2023, 10:33 AM

Making a new quilt for your dad is a wonderful gesture and I would wrap it for him even if it isn't quite finished. Until you have had a heart to heart with your dad about the sentimental value of the old quilt to him, I would leave it untouched. I am inclined to agree with the others that he treasures it for the memories it might hold of your mother, and to transform it into something else might not be to his liking.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:56 PM

I would say to fix it you know he loves it and it does not have to be perfect he would not take to the new one but this is just my opnion older people on the most part do not like change.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:26 PM

You have been given some very good advice and several options. The only thing that I can add is, be very careful how you phrase you explanation. Instead of saying that the quilt can't be repaired, marvel at how well loved it was. That could also lead into making a pillow to 'remember' the love of the old quilt while enjoying the comfort of a new quilt. Hugs! You are a good daughter.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:31 PM

When my dad asked me he showed me a few ripped areas. I though that would be easy until I took it out to repair it and felt the very thin fabric. He is 93 and does his own laundry. Mom would have never over washed it...LOL...its ok I am almost done the new quilt. I just have to make the sandwich and quit/bind it this weekend.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:33 PM

that is my thought. He know how expensive it can be also. I had plenty of fabric in my stash so made the top and to my luck found some 108 inch backing at Joanns today for 4.00 a yard, normally 16.99 a yard.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:34 PM

I dont want anyone to see that quilt...LOL...I made it and I dont want people seeing how worn out it is.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:37 PM

You are correct, my sister does not quilt and she also is a minimalist so I was surprised that she was so upset with me making a new one. I am sure he has no attachments to the old one. He is from the don't waste, dont throw out anything generation. Which I am the same but not when its really in no shape even to donate...its ready for the trash.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:38 PM

Good idea, I will not bring it with me, but will give him the option of me bringing it back during my next visit.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:39 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful advise and for some things for me to ponder!!!!!! Happy Holidays to you All!
Old 12-23-2023, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
Making a new quilt for your dad is a wonderful gesture and I would wrap it for him even if it isn't quite finished. Until you have had a heart to heart with your dad about the sentimental value of the old quilt to him, I would leave it untouched. I am inclined to agree with the others that he treasures it for the memories it might hold of your mother, and to transform it into something else might not be to his liking.
I agree. Talk to your father, leave your sister out of the conversation. If Dad wants it for sentimental reasons, explain that it will not be the same after repairing, or attempt to repair and do your best. I would try to replicate the original in some manner, colors or pattern and present him with a new version of the original IF that would please him. That way he would have two sets of memories in one quilt.