Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Public Broadcasting -- big disappointment >

Public Broadcasting -- big disappointment

Public Broadcasting -- big disappointment

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM

So -- I read on another thread that Public Broadcasting (OPB) here has a new show -- Georgia Bonesteel's handquilting. I went to the web site and it's not there. Quilt in a Day is on the schedule for today at 8:30!!!! Well, it was 8:45 so I changed the tv over.....a children's show is on!!! Went back to the schedule and --- yes, it's scheduled, too!!!! When I visited daughter in Washington I discovered they had FIVE quilt shows on Saturday mornings!!! WOW! Some I'd never seen before!!!

I've written to OPB and told them how disappointed I am -- and encouraging them to put shows on -- that this is a THRIVING business!!!! I'm encouraging all Oregon quilters to write to OPB and see if we can change their attitude!!!

Just had to vent.......... :-D
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM

We should do this for all the public broadcasting stations in each state. I think if enough of us wrote we might make a difference. We sometimes get Sewing with Nancy (but it's not always quilting) and sometimes get Fons and Porter but we don't get them consistently. Sometimes they'll be on and sometimes not.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Hi Dee,
The only 2 craft/quilting shows I get now are Fons and Porter and Sewing with Nancy, and those are mostly repeats. They must have recently taken off Quilting Arts. DIY channel used to lots of craft/art shows on but those disappeared a few years ago for home remodeling shows. I know we are spending big buckos so can't understand why they are removing them. :thumbup:
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM

I will certainly do it for my area. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
We should do this for all the public broadcasting stations in each state. I think if enough of us wrote we might make a difference. We sometimes get Sewing with Nancy (but it's not always quilting) and sometimes get Fons and Porter but we don't get them consistently. Sometimes they'll be on and sometimes not.
Same where I am. We also used to get knitting shows but they're gone now too. Seems whenever our cable makes programming changes its always towards more sports, or DIY etc. Boring.
Ours also has some BBC shows which I liked 5 yrs ago (the first time I watched them) but they're still re-showing them. Come on....try a different program once in a while!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
So -- I read on another thread that Public Broadcasting (OPB) here has a new show -- Georgia Bonesteel's handquilting. I went to the web site and it's not there. Quilt in a Day is on the schedule for today at 8:30!!!! Well, it was 8:45 so I changed the tv over.....a children's show is on!!! Went back to the schedule and --- yes, it's scheduled, too!!!! When I visited daughter in Washington I discovered they had FIVE quilt shows on Saturday mornings!!! WOW! Some I'd never seen before!!!

I've written to OPB and told them how disappointed I am -- and encouraging them to put shows on -- that this is a THRIVING business!!!! I'm encouraging all Oregon quilters to write to OPB and see if we can change their attitude!!!

Just had to vent.......... :-D
That always happens to me for any number of special interests of mine. Most of the promotions are national and the local pbs stations just pick the ones they think will do them some good in their own areas. Boo!
John
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Your most logical approach is to contact the PBS station that serves your specific area.

Also, consult your local tv listings to find out what's on in your specific area.

If there are mistakes in those listings, just call or email the station to let them know.

Each station is going to base is programming decisions on perceived interest in the area served. Cost also has a great deal to do with it. Many of the programs broadcast are paid for by corporate and private donations.

if you want quilting shows on your local PBS channel, start a good natured campaign. Get local quilters to send them requests. They will need money to buy the programming, so be prepared to help them with fundraising.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Northern WA gets there quilt shows through WGBH in Boston, MA, if that helps any of you. I lived there for a few years, and I miss having quilty/sewing shows from 8:30 to 1 pm every Saturday.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Your most logical approach is to contact the PBS station that serves your specific area.

Also, consult your local tv listings to find out what's on in your specific area.

If there are mistakes in those listings, just call or email the station to let them know.

Each station is going to base is programming decisions on perceived interest in the area served. Cost also has a great deal to do with it. Many of the programs broadcast are paid for by corporate and private donations.

if you want quilting shows on your local PBS channel, start a good natured campaign. Get local quilters to send them requests. They will need money to buy the programming, so be prepared to help them with fundraising.
I have contacted my local and I was very nice -- asking why they don't show more quilting shows --- especially since quilting is a BIG DOLLAR industry. Wish i could find the article that states how many quilters they figure are out there nationwide. Hmmmmm I need to find that and let them know about it!!!! maybe they're just ignorant. i've contacted my local PBS station and I've contacted my DishNetwork provider.......maybe someone will listen just like Walmart listened to us! Oh -- and I HAVE helped with funding.............only to have them take off the stations I like!!!! :shock:
Old 09-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I find it amazing that Direct TV will show hours and hours of Man v. Food...a stupid show about a guy that eats....no, stuffs himself, but not 1 quilting show..in my area...