question about perfumes

Old 11-30-2015, 07:00 PM

Burn 'em....
Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Freezing on the line. I find I hate the final finish on new clothes. I hang outside in winter for couple of days in summer I wash the dry outside. New clothes having to be washed before wearing.
achhhh.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:26 AM

I have never heard of Lestiol. I will google it. Thanks
Lynda

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Lynda,
I'm assuming the clothes that are retaining the odors have a percentage of polyester in them; it seems to me that the synthetics have that characteristic as well as retaining grease stains. I've had good luck with Lestoil for both grease and odors in synthetics. If the clothesline method you're using now doesn't work, try soaking for an hour in a warm solution of Lestoil and water, then washing as usual and line drying. Wet garments hold the residual odor of Lestoil briefly, but line drying gets rid of it and the other odors.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:28 AM

Guessing you are kidding since my social security check doesn't cover much to allow burning good clothes.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
Burn 'em....
Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

By the time you buy the products to get the scent out of the clothes, the time and water used, you could have bought new ones and saved all the hassle. I've had good results from a vet's product to remove pet odors but it isn't cheap. I would have burnt them by now too! LOL
Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
I have never heard of Lestiol. I will google it. Thanks
Lynda
You might want to Google "Lestoil" instead (nyuk, nyuk). Get it? Less toil! It's been around forever. Lowe's, Sears, Walgreens and other places have it.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I would soak them in water with a little oda-ban....
Old 12-01-2015, 05:31 PM

I once asked my local Salvation Army thrift shop what they spray the clothes/upholstered furniture with and they told me it was a fumigant for bugs! Yuck! Okay smell, sort of similar to Frebreze, but still, spraying for bugs??? Makes me think twice about buying there. I do, but I wash everything! I use regular detergent (no dye or perfume) and either line dry or toss in dryer. 99.9% of the time, the smell does come out. Occasionally, if the clothing is polyester or rayon, the smell stays unless I dry clean the item, which defeats the "cheap" purchase price.

One thought, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you, they sell lots of odor ban products and some are not very expensive. These are usually an enzyme product and are used to counteract urine and poo smells. They work very well. I've used these on carpet and couches when my pups have had accidents. These may work for your clothes, too.

Good luck and let us know what you used to get rid of the smell.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would soak the shirt in at tub with a whole box of baking soda. I would use very hot water to disolve the soda and then add cold water until warm and put in the shirt to soak.
i would add to this a good squirt of dawn dish soap at the start of this method to break down the volitile oils from the perfume. Even fabreeze has volitile oils. Careful how hot the water you start with is, go by the label for temperature since it will work in cooler water too. When it has soaked for an hour, rinse and wring a couple times, then wash as usual. Do not dry until there is no smell left. Each trip through the dryer can "set" the smell more.

I once bought a beautiful comforter at Goodwil that had been stored with lavender scent. I did not notice it until we got into the closed car just how bad it was! I am highly allergic to lavender. We drove home in the rain with the windows down so I could breathe. Dawn and baking soda worked so I could use it on my bed. Saved me, hope it saves you. Blessings.

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-01-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 AM

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas. I think I will look for the products mentioned since I buy the majority of my clothes from thrift stores and I am sure the price will average out. I left the clothes outside for 3 days and that seemed to have done the trick.
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions
Lynda