Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18... >
  • Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

• Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 PM

I don't remember having particular problems with any of mine at any age. All 3 were busy in college when they were 18. The 3rd (and only son) wasted my hard earned college tuition money by being lazy and ultimately not getting a college degree (which he now regrets); otherwise, I recall that it was "just another year in the life ..."
    Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
    My 18 year old copped an attitude with me on the day he turned 18 over writing thank you notes for gifts of money he'd received - I believe he said something like "you can't tell me what to do anymore". So I got right up in his face and pretty much told him there's the door. Fortunately we'd raised him to take us pretty much seriously so he settled down pretty quickly. So just hang in there and be consistent.

We see a lot of the 18-itis at the high school I work at, "I'm 18, I can leave if I want to, you can't tell me what to do." Our typical response is oh, you live on your own, you support yourself, feed yourself, pay your cell phone bill yourself, make a car payment, pay for gas, insurance, etc.
    us too! we told all 5 that 18 means nothing here except we don't have to accept middle of the night call from police or sherrif LOL...

also told them when you have a full time job, with insurance and you can pay for all your own needs & wants, AND have figured out the difference.. you are then an adult...

youngest dd (senior in hs) said... well, then there won't be time to have any fun or get into any trouble... welcome to grown up life!

at the moment though.. we are hoping she applies to the university of alaska... because that should be far enough away so she's not making us nuts...
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM

They usually turn back to humans by 26. Hopefully.
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Some of mine have and some of mine haven't. I think it depends on the kid.
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 PM

I told mine they were "real adults" when they paid their own way and lived on their own. They had wonderful attitudes after that. Now one is a lawyer and one a realtor and both on their own and close to me and very loving
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 PM

I have been told that 25 is better.. Mine is almost 23, and I am still waiting. Mom (me) has been stupid sence he was 5!!!
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Hang in there, its amazing how smart parents become once the kids hit about 30. I always threatened to lock them in the closet and feed them through a slot in the door till they were 21. grin. Ok so none ever actually were locked in the closet.
    Laughed so hard when I heard my daughter say that to her 16 year old one day. Oh we MUST watch what we say to our kids as it may come back to haunt our grandkids. grin.
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:39 PM

I had the opposite experience--she turned 18 and returned to the human race (she had been possessed by aliens for the 5 years before that!)
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM

I found it depends on the child, not the sex of child. I always said the Lord made teenagers so mothers would be more than willing to let them go. Lets face it if they were still the same cute cuddley little tikes they once were, we would want to keep them at home forever. My girls turned in to "adults" in there 20s and we are now best friends, my oldest son actully grew up at age 18, my middle son is 42 and still working on the growing up thing. My youngest son is 34 and is finally grown up, but he will always be "Mommy's baby" and he hates it. Good luck, they do grow out of it.
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM

actually I found they thought they were an adult before 18 and upon turning 18 though the KNEW for sure, So I suggested maybe they pay their share of rent and food as an adult or continue being the young person they are living at home and working together. No one wanted to pay rent or buy food... odd