Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18... >

Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM

In reading Diane Snead's post above, I was reminded of the time my older daughter presented me with a list of costs of various things she had done (dusting her room, washing her clothes, ironing her blouses, making her bed, etc.). I took it without comment, but later I presented her with my list... for breakfast, lunch, dinner, room rent, utilities usage, clothing and shoes, music lessons, use of the car... I really padded it good. Of course, it mounted up to a couple of thousand dollars - I didn't leave anything out - where her list was about $50. I left it in her room without comment, and I never heard another word about what we owed her. <G> To her credit, she later apologized for her arrogance.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Oh my, I didn't think I would make it through, I did survive, I don't know how, I have a girl and 2 sons, they are now ages 38, 36 & 34. I got the boys straightened out and the 34 year old is married with 2 boys ages 22mos. and 5 mos. The 36 yr. old is not married but has a steady, both are in college, he will graduate in May from University of Illinois with a degree in architecture. Came back home at 30 to do this. Now the daughter is the problem, she married divorce and now married again, the second hubs is a jerk and all those two think about is themselves. She is driving us all crazy. Anyway good luck to you, you will need it.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM

My friend had a sign that read, "Now I know why animals eat their young!" It will pass. We found with all 3 of ours that the summer after freshman year of college was THE WORST!!! They had had a taste of freedom, but weren't mature enough to settle back into the rules when back at home over the summer. Things always got better by sophomore summer. Hang in there...this too shall pass. We didn't kill ours, and now all 3 are employed, productive, responsible, kind adults.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Mine didn't wait till 18, he started at puberty. So I'm jealous. Just teasing about the jealously part. I feel for you. You wonder what people from another planet kidnapped your child and left this one in their place.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 PM

I look at my grandsons, particularly the younger one, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this precious little muppet is going to make his sassy mother's life the same hell she made for me, and I LOVE it! Ah, sweet revenge ! <G> What is it they say?.... grandparents and grandchildren are natural allies... they share the same enemies. <G>
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM

On my youngest daughter's 18th birthday, as she was going out the door, I said, pleasantly, "Have a good day". She turned around, glared, and declared: "I'm 18, you can't tell me me what to do!"

Now that's she's a mom of 2 boys under 3, she calls me almost daily.

This too shall pass.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM

From the time my older daughter was about 14, I suddenly became very stupid (it was amazing... happened overnight), almost incapable of saying anything coherent (which meant, of course, that she had to speak for me). Now I find it amusing when she calls me to ask about the simplest of things - how I did this or that. Whee.. I'm not stupid anymore! And I can actually form words around my ideas without any help from her! Imagine that! <G>
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM

When my daughter turned 18 she wanted to have her boyfriend be able to spend the night. I said no and she started to argue with me. So I said "remember you are a guest now". The look on her face was as if I had slapped her. I had no intendion of kicking her out but it woke her up. She is 30 now and a great person. And no she is not with that same guy.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 PM

Hang in there, it just takes them awhile to grow up and understand how much parents do know about the world. I am like you, thought it would never happen but after much prayer our sons are now 37 and 35 and always calling and asking us (their Dad) and I for advice. :-D
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 AM

Like the old sayings when they are teenagers they think parents are old fashioned and just plain mean, we just don't get it and don't know what's going on. Then when they reach 21, they know more than parents. Turning thirty they are finding out just how hard times can be financially and just living in this world. Neither of mine are 40 yet, still in their 30's, so I don't know what the 40's will bring. However, now they both ask for advice, and I haven't heard them admit yet, but I feel like they don't think we are as dumb as they thought. Now they are fun to talk to and visit with.
Hang in ther mom, life will get better I promise.