Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question to Miniature Dachshund owners >

Question to Miniature Dachshund owners

Question to Miniature Dachshund owners

Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
Cashs_mom: Thanks so much for your advice! What brand dog food did you use?
I feed raw which is a whole other discussion. I've fed raw for better than 20 years and really believe in it. There are a lot of prepackaged raw foods available. I buy from Texas Tripe in the North Texas area. They provide excellent fresh good and my dogs not only love it, but they thrive on it. If you are going to feed kibble, I would suggest going to the Whole Dog Journal. They put out a listing of the best foods every year. When I was feeding kibble, I always used one of their top brands and had good luck with it.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Sometimes you can add water to their dry food and it makes them feel more full even though they aren't getting any more food.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Cashs mom, I also feed raw! Best thing I ever did. I have not been doing it for near as long as you though! My dogs took to it right away. My cats, not so much. I still have to supplement them with commercial food.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 PM

Unwarranted weight gain, like you describe, is sometimes a hormonal problem. Ask your vet for any help beyond the green bean idea, which is a good one.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the Whole Dog Journal Reference.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
we have tweener weiners...14 pounders.
One has always had to watch his weight, the other seems to self regulate just right even though his is less active

We did the Canin for a number of years 1/8 cup w/1 hard boiled egg split, canned beans or carrots morning.
1/8 cup w/nice spoon of non-fat cottage cheese, canned beans or carrots nights.

we are lucky to have the Farm Dog Bakery here, and use the small bones, or 1/2 a small bone for good behavior treats, with moderation. Wonderful place, the owner employs down syndrome young folk as staff, packaging, cutting out with cookie cutters, etc. https://www.farmdogbakery.org/

As Xaviers teeth have parted company with his mouth in place of the canin we've switched to Taste of the Wild canned food in a wide assortment of flavors. Pacific Salmon in gravy is the current can (maybe 8-10 cubits?) per meal. I can't remember without actually dishing some up There is no grain in it. We like the Blue brand also. Buy it at Tractor Supply when on sale.

Good luck working things out. My boys were puppy mill throwaways (literally, dumped up here) as adults so each day is training day still 12 years later, and in many respects they are better behaved than some of the hand raised puppy dogs we've had over the years.

but as they've aged there have been some teeth loss (we get them cleaned every year).
I use Blue brand for my cat. I bought a bag for my pup but for some reason she didn't care for it.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:24 AM

oops.... pressed enter too soon.....

I do use Blue brand for my cat.

Sometime ago I bought the regular small dog food before but she didn't care for it.

I have had issues with my cat not eating some bags of Blue and realizing they were near the expiration date. That could have happened with the dog food.

I see there is a weight management for small dogs with condrotin and glucosamine. I may try it.

Incidentally, Hills Science for small dogs (doxie on the bag) doesn't include condrotin and glucosamine. I wonder why?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:16 AM

Has her thyroid level been checked?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 AM

I have not. I wanted to look at her diet first. I have cut back on her kibble supplementing with protein...cottage cheese, egg etc. and with carrot and green beans. I'm feeding her small amounts more frequently. I have seen some improvement on her weight.

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
Has her thyroid level been checked?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Cashs mom, I also feed raw! Best thing I ever did. I have not been doing it for near as long as you though! My dogs took to it right away. My cats, not so much. I still have to supplement them with commercial food.
My vet told me that while dogs seem to love the raw diet, it was often hard to get cats to eat it. If they do eat it, they seem to do well on it though. I have noticed that more and more people are feeding raw or at least know what it is. When I started, people looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told them I fed my dogs a raw diet.