Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question for those who own Siberian Huskies

A question for those who own Siberian Huskies

Can you tell me a little about their general temperament? I have been reading on line, but would like to hear from an actual owner, lol.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Blog Entries
    had a silver and greyish/black one about 35 yrs ago, Aja (asia)
    very pretty, temperment was great. loved kitties, was raised with one and a shepard.
    she would stamp her front paws when she wanted one. PULLED ALOT on her leash.
    would talk alot to you. a mush and would sleep in bed with you. a great watch dog.
    this was a purebreed.
    about 23 yrs ago, had a huskey/terrier/shepard mix. a mush with my son who was 2 and a great watch dog. if a stranger walked past the house, he'd (gadget) would bark like crazy.
    I think it's how you raise the dog too. good luck
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Lynnie, not sure if this is the type of dog that will suit my lifestyle. I've been on a few husky forums since this post and they seem extremely demanding, whine and howl, and shed a ridiculous amount, among other things.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I've heard that they require a cooler environment. I have a friend who has one and she keeps her AC really cold.

They do require a cooler area. It's hard on them here. They end up spending a lot of time inside. I don't know about their temperament, but they do shed like crazy! I worked in a dachshund rescue booth at dog show this year and we were across from the sled dog rescue. When they were leaving I couldn't believe how much hair was under the tables over there.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

My parents had two - Tanya the mother and Ivan her son. They were great dogs as far as temperament but shed so very much. Dog hair everywhere. Hated warm weather. Tanya was more laid back then Ivan (who was the howler). They also needed a lot of exercise. They were also beautiful with their blue eyes.
    Alyce

They are smart, inquisitive and have lots of energy. They need exercise and intellectual stimulation.
    ~Sharon

Blog Entries
    my SIL has/had two. they are very strong and want to run away when let out or are on the leash. the grand kids were not strong enough to walk the dog. and yes... lots of dog hair on everything.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have a Shepard/Husky cross spay named Bear, 11 1/2 years old. Probably the best dog that I have ever had. Had Alaskan Malamutes in the past. Loved them, too. Yes, they shed, lots. I don't have dust bunnies, I have dust elephants. As a breed, they are intelligent, people oriented, and runners. You MUST take the time to train them. According to the vet, at her age, if she were a Shepard only, she would be an old dog. But because of the Husky and their hardiness, she is only middle aged. She still runs every where she goes. She chased a fox around the perimeter of our electronic fenced area (3 acres) early this spring. Didn't catch him, but didn't lose ground to him, either. Last year, she tore her ACL, totally healed without surgery. When she dies, we will get another Shepard/Husky cross or a purebred Husky. I don't know that another dog can ever measure up to her, she's that personable.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

Don't forget that large dogs need LOTS of exercise. They are not good house dogs where there are close neighbors as they can howl really loud. You would need a fenced yard and lots of time to spend with them for training. They are working dogs and really need a job.

I had three at one time. Two were the sweetest most loveable dogs you could want. The other one we got from a pet store and he was the dog from H***. Never, I repeat NEVER, buy a dog from a pet store. He was the first Husky we had and was fear aggressive. We had problems with him all the time but I couldn't bring myself to have him put down. One of the others we got from the humane society and she would talk to you. Unfortunately, we didn't understand "dog". She would sit on the couch and lay her head on my DH's shoulder. The other husky was the son of the first one. Thankfully, he didn't have his father's tendencies.

They are cold weather dogs but we lived in FL and they did just fine. We did keep them indoors though except to go out to potty. We had a fenced yard they could run around in so they did get exercise but I wouldn't leave them outside for too long. They did love it when we had a few cold days though. They did "sing" occasionally but not as much as my greyhounds we got later.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Our neighbor had a Siberian husky. Their daughter got engaged to a young man from upstate New York. When they married they took Kavik with them. Much cooler environment. Beautiful dog!

Blog Entries
    Ahhhh, the gentle giants of the doggy world. One of the sweetest, kindest, most gentle of them all. They are Big! Need lots of room, and good brushing/grooming (all that hair can take over)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I want you to know that I have a Siberian Husky/ German Shepard/ Malamute/ Wolf mix and can not imagine my life without him. He is stubborn, willful, funny, demanding (feed the dog!) charming, alerts me to seizures, and loves being an inside dog. You should see him do "the poor abused puppy" act when I send him outside so I can vacuum. He is a rescue, so I don't know all of his history, but being such a big dog, I know no one but me would make such a big dog, an inside dog, but he earns his keep, so I will just keep vacuuming everyday, and letting the neighbor kids sit and pull all the loose hair off of him. (They like to watch the birds carry the hair tufts away to make their nests warm.) With his background, he has a real urge to pull on a leash. I bought him a no-pull harness, and learned a trick from Caesar Milan, when King started to pull, I just turned and walked back the way I came until he stopped pulling. It only took a few times for him to figure out that if he pulled, he would go back to what he has already sniffed. Did I tell you he was a smart dog? He has been very easy to train as long as I was consistent. I am disabled so he only gets to go for a walk when my daughter has time to walk him for me, or we take him to a dog park, that and 3/4 of my yard to run in, and even with these limitations on exercise for him, I would adopt him all over again! I just can't resist adding pictures of my baby dog. Here is Yukon King. Just so you know, I have had no problem with howling, whining, or even barking unless the doorbell rings. (He loves company!) he also lives with a blue healer, and two cats and they all sleep as a pack on the bedroom floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-31-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I had 2 of the most beautiful creatures to walk the earth--Huskies still take my breath away. I had 5 fenced acres for them, they wanted 10! They do shed- only once a year was severe. Could fill a grocery bag full in 5 min of brushing.
    Being fairly intelligent, they do need stimulation. ..some need a job. Mine were both rescues and healthy till the end. May I suggest a young dog from a rescue group? BTY- we live in Georgia and they took the heat- just ran a bit slower and napped in the shade if outside in summer. Best of luck.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, but I say got to the pound and save a dog! There are enough great dogs that need a home.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Had one years ago. Sweet girl! Great with kids

The American Eskimo is a miniature and I absolutely love mine. She is so gentle and loving and is always doing something funny for us to laugh at.(Like not knowing what to do with her tail when she finally catches it) She needs a lot of brushing, but that is our quiet time each day. I am sure that the larger Husky is just as gentle if given lots of love and a good hairbrush in warmer weather. They are so pretty

Blog Entries
    I did not have a husky, but my aunt who lived with us did.

Here on the BC coast she shed twice a year. In the Spring she turned the yard white, in the Fall is was less, but still lots of fur.

Cody liked her cat, but would kill other cats if she could.

Cody also had a litter of puppies and took them hunting sheep one day. The puppies could not keep up with her. Luckily the farmer, accepted the value of the one sheep that was killed and the dog was not put down. Where we live livestock come first and dogs are generally put down for messing with them.

When she was older, she was happy to hang out in the yard on a long line. The yard was fully fenced, but she could have gone through the fence if she wanted to. There were other farms nearby and it was not worth the risk, she would not have got a second reprieve.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

We had a huskie that we got when our children were little. She was very protected of them and would not let anyone near them without us. While we had her, my husband was in the Air Force and they sent him to Guam. She went with us and did great there. The vet told us not to shave her coat, since it helped to keep her cool along with keeping her warm in the winter. She did great while we were there. She lived to be 15 years old and we never had any problems with her.
    Mary Fran G
    El Lago TX

Live in NY. Had one many years ago. The best with children and one of the best guard dog. Summer heat never bothered her. Don't remember any extra clean up from dog hair. People would comment about how beautiful she was and how she looked like a wolf. Her name was Shadow she was honey color.

I love love love huskies. Raised some years ago really to teach our children responsibility. Before we sold a puppy we house socialized them so if someone wanted to have them inside they were already on their way. It really depends on how you raise a dog. (any dog) My best friend said this " never let a puppy do anything you do not want them to do as an adult dog". That is sooo true. You do not teach the dog you teach the owner how to handle a dog. Obedience class is a great thing. Huskies are very intelligent but - due to what their real job is (pulling - if a musher wants to go a certain way the dog can detect danger and will not do as owner wants !) So they do have a mind of their own! They just need training. They are very good with kids. We had one man that told us his dog would snap at him when he was feeding him and trying to play with him as he was eating. All I asked was "Do you play with your young children when they are eating?" The dog was only protecting his food.
    the shedding - yes there is some BUT perhaps a short time a few days a week will conquer that. and Spring is the worst time as they are shedding their insulation! They are also a hardy dog.
    Another tip for animals and humans - Calcium Bentonite Clay (some every day, internal and external) helps wonders.
    I buy mine from Global Light Networks.
    Have fun looking for the right dog for you.
    Janice

I had a mini husky/wolf mix. She was an awesome pet! Very smart, and sweet. She was great with my kids, and visitors. Loved it when she would "sing", as she was usually quiet. In the back yard (fenced) she loved to pick her own berries, and dig her carrot treats as well. She did protect her food too. But I would have another one in a minute!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Thank you everyone, for your responses. It sounds like they are truly a good breed and will mix well with the family. I'll let you know what happens...
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Are two pups just as easy as one? A continuation of the husky post.

So I've been talking with you all and with coworkers who have dogs and some have mentioned that when you work all day, it's better to have two pups to keep each other company. I'm sure there's truth in that, but TWO?

The two pups would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the Siberian Husky. I have a small New Englander style house but about 1/4 acre that could be electric fenced, with a treed area and open area where they could run free. I also live in New Hampshire so the husky would love these winters. It's me, my 27 yod, her 3 yos, and my 21 yos who live here.

Those of you who have done this, or who have a menagerie of pets, please tell me your stories.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast