Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question for those of you who are single and own your home...

Does it ever get to you? Do you ever want to chuck it all and rent?

I put my house on the market a few months ago but now that all these strangers are poking around here and there I'm not so sure I want to sell. I've looked at about 50 houses (on-line) and other than one in a flood zone which I won't buy, there is nothing I like except mine.

Why do you still own? Why keeps you staying there? How do you keep up with repairs?

I might be looking to borrow some of your reasons for putting on a pair of overalls and learning how to fix things myself. That and sit my fanny on the sewing machine chair and make some more things to sell. ;)

I still own my own home.
    1. No one can tell me how to decorate, what color to paint, or what my floors have to be.
    2. It's much cheaper than rent. (Mine is finally paid for)
    3. Taxes and insurance are cheaper than rent.
    4. Yard and gardening are another of my passions and no one can tell me not to put up a flag, plant 'only', or anything else.

Repairs are a pain. What I can't do on my own I have a friend (worked for my husband on the fire department) that will come work on things that are beyond my son or me.

Some of these days I will likely be to old to live alone but right now I'm ready to have my house and I'm still able to live in it. Independence is my motto.

I live in the south-west....by choice, as I like to own...thus a mobile home....I could have bought land in a park...or rent a space-as I do.....My unit is 14x65..2 bedrooms{one is my sewing room}..2 baths.....a big living room & a big kitchen with room for dining room at one end....I have a carport, also a patio covered & screened in the length of the unit...great out door space. A small park 125 units......a clubhouse & pool....sure there are ongoing expenses, but I have to only keep my unit up, but other maintance is some elses worry. thats my way to live indepent-on a fixed income.

I own my home. I wouldn't move for anything. I have a friend who helps with repairs. Sometimes the upkeep is a pain, but having my own place is worth it all.

Blog Entries
    Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Have excellent staff that will help walk you through repairs, as well as some great books available. There is not a whole lot that I cannot do myself, including most wiring and plumbing. It is more intimidating sounding to repair a toilet than what it really is :wink: I would not reccommend doing much electrical if you have no knowledge, but most everything else is a matter of steps, just like quilting :D:D:D

I own my home. Well, me and rhe bank! Maintenance is a pain because I don't have anyone who will do what I want at a price I like! But I can do what I want within the law, and I have freedom to plant what I like, and paint as I like, inside and out. I like where I live. I am in a neighborhood, am close to my church, have room for my sewing stuff, and my critters. And yes there are times I want to chuck it all, but when I was seriously considering it a couple years ago, I really would have had to give up much more than I am willing to do, at this time. When I HAVE to make a change, I will, but not until then.

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    I own my own home and wouldn't have it any other way. I can not see paying money to someone when I could be paying a mortgage. I also don't believe in paying interest, I feel it is throwing money away. I use credit cards but when the bill come I pay the entire balance, except if there is an emergeny and I had to use it then it might that a month or 2 to pay it all but never more then that. Oh and I am not a woman of means I just know how to handle money very well.

You are all helping so much. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    i am not single with a home, but married. i have fixed all sorts of things in my house by myself.
    DIY is a great site to learn. i fixed my washer, and the ceiling fan chain got jammed and i fixed that too!
    my DH complained that i went in the garage and got into his tools, i i bought a whole set of electric and battery operated tools on QVC..they are all mine! (and not pink!)

the great thing about google, is you can post it in a question form.."washer quit agitating" and it will bring up all sorts of links, and message boards. with pictures for your brand!
    don't give up..i would not give up my home,if something happened to the DH..i like the garden to much.. I cut the grass and shovel the snow too.

I own a home,I would prefer a condo where I didn't have to do lawn work,but our front yard and now the back yard is all rock(yeah),it was all dirt before.and we live in the desert and wont lay grass takes to much water,trying to be enviromently responisble.but anything other little things that come up I ask my brothers or dad,and there is my daughters; boyfriend to do if possible if not gotta pay a repairman

I've rented apartments a couple of times, owned a condo, and now the bank and I own a small house on a quarter acre. Hated apartments because the walls were thin and there was always some jerk who's stereo was too loud, etc.. I also hated using a communal laundry room.

Loved my condo for most of the 15 yrs I was there. The walls were a bit thicker so not much of a problem until a multi-generational family with upteen children moved in; just getting around the kids sitting on our common stoop to get in my front door was a daily problem. Sold shortly after.

My house is in a neighborhood built about sixty years ago. When I bought, I asked the previous owners who they used for a plumber, electrician, etc., which worked out really well! If I needed something else done, I either asked my neighbors who they used or, I'd look thru the yellow pages until I found someone (then watched over them like a hawk!).

I should add that I'm pretty handy when it comes to small repairs and woodworking. I also try to buy the best quality stuff (snowblower, lawn mower, ...) that I can afford, based on Consumer Reports ratings. That helps tremendously because things tend to last a long time.

Finally, to end this narrative :-) I met a wonderful man four years ago who now lives with me. He's a master electrician by trade and, I swear, he can fix anything! Having already lived alone for most of my adult life, I know I can handle things but its such a pleasure to have a back-up!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't really qualify for this thread as I am married, but I think I would sell if anything happened to my husband. I HATE yard work and I know very little about repairs. Taxes and insurance on our house run $375 a month, so in our tiny town I could rent a small house without upping the budget much. It would be a downsize, but if I were alone a downsize would be good.

I guess you just have to decide if the hassle of home ownership outweighs the positives. There are positives.

I am single and in the second home I bought as a single woman. The first one was 30 years old and had new roof, heating and air so the "bones" were good. I did all the interior upgrades by myself from laying Pergo wood floors in the kitchen, living room, dining room, entryway and hallway. I re-tiled the bathroom floor, sanded and painted the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, installed wainscot, chair rail, crown moulding and baseboards. Painted the entire inside too. I had new carpet installed in the living room and 3 bedrooms. It was a learning experience but I was married to a general contractor for 20 years so I knew a little about a lot of things. I just bought myself the power tools I needed and went for it. It came out great and in 3 years I sold it for a clear profit of over $100k.

The next house, where I live now, I bought before it was built so I haven't had to do much to it except paint, some moulding, replacing builder grade light fixtures, etc. I landscaped the back yard by myself including building a 8' x 20' deck BY MYSELF using a floating deck system. I take care of everything inside and out and if I don't know how to, I sure know how to search the net for advice.

I'm at the point now where I am not thrilled about doing those things a whole lot and I am looking forward to downsizing someday. Maybe a nice condo or townhome with a small garden area and a LARGE greatroom that I can make a sewing room.

I am a widow, and live in my own house with my two cats. I LOVE not having neighbors upstairs, downstairs, or on the other side of the wall. I think that's one reason for staying in my house.

I am also at the point where rent at an apartment would not be much less than my monthly mortgage, and there's always the hope that my house will appreciate in value so I can sell it to pay for that old folks' home someday.

But the biggest reason I stay here is that I lived here with my husband the last several years of his life. We had the house built, and put alot of our selves into the choices we made when building. I still feel like there's a lot of him here.

I own my home on 40 acres. Widowed recemtly but think I will stay. I am currently having some upgrades done, new windows, doors, appliances so hope not too much will go wrong for awhile. Had a plumbing break two months ago that was really expensive but maybe that won't happen often. We had no rain for two years now nothing but rain. I don't want an apartment and like to lock my gate and not be bothered. I built the inside of this house some years ago so know how but at 70 not physically able to do many things. I still don't want to rent.

Ours is almost paid for. Moving is a nightmare from Hell. If you are happy there, then stay. Try to find somebody to fix things. Renting can be as expense or more than owning your own house. Besides nobody can give you trouble if you paint the den purple.

Hey, you're the one I want to grow my hair out like! I have been thinking a lot lately about selling and moving to an apartment, mainly to avoid upkeep,repairs,yard work,snow in my drive etc. But then I think, close neighbors, I live in the country and actually I have lovely neighbors, they mow my lawn, plow my snow and are on my door step if they see anything they think is out of place (or anybody). But the thought of having strangers for neighbors or being in an apt with people on all sides, possibly under and over!! Also I live in a large farmhouse and am a collector of crap, mainly fabric, so a lot of stuff would have to go. Then there is the cost, with apts being at least $600 plus and my mortgage being $180.00 a month (which has been paid off several times).I have 10 acres so I can have a garden if I want and have my privacy. I also have lived here since I was 12 (in and out after graduation and a brief go at marriage) I gave my daughter some adjoining land so there is another tie. But it sometimes crosses my mind to chuck it all.

I'm not interested in renting. I love my kitchen and sewing room. I wouldn't trade them in for anything.

I just thought about this. I don't know about the laws where you live but in Texas, the landlord can give you 30 days notice & your out on your b-hind no matter if you are current on rent or not. If your place is paid for or payments are low, just stay there. There is no privacy in apts.

I have owned my own home for 23 years. Paint; fix toilets, had to learn how - have 4; have even replaced a light fixture. Just can't do anything that requires muscle; rats don't have any muscles; oh well in the next life. Am getting ready to sell this house and move south to be with DD; so much painting, cleaning out etc. Dont' move just because. Stay as long as you like being there. My aunt is 85 and is still in her house. Been there since the end of WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    Ours is almost paid for. Moving is a nightmare from Hell. If you are happy there, then stay. Try to find somebody to fix things. Renting can be as expense or more than owning your own house. Besides nobody can give you trouble if you paint the den purple.
    I'm NEVER moving again! It is a nightmare, especially if you're a pack rat like me. :-)

Would like to say my house is almost paid off but... When I was house hunting, I had a list of what I wanted, based on having lived in apartments and my condo. Got most of it, glad to say. The rest i can live without or add later.

Top of my list was finding a house where I can live now (still active at 58) but can also live comfortably in when I retire (way things are going, that may be when I,m 83!). My little Cape Cod house has two bedrooms and full bath on the first floor so it's essentially a ranch style, only with another two bedrooms and bath upstairs. (Sounds big but the square footage is small.) I tell everyone that when I die, they can bury me in the backyard. As I said, I'm never moving again!!

Quote Originally Posted by lacikat
    Hey, you're the one I want to grow my hair out like! I have been thinking a lot lately about selling and moving to an apartment, mainly to avoid upkeep,repairs,yard work,snow in my drive etc. But then I think, close neighbors, I live in the country and actually I have lovely neighbors, they mow my lawn, plow my snow and are on my door step if they see anything they think is out of place (or anybody). But the thought of having strangers for neighbors or being in an apt with people on all sides, possibly under and over!! Also I live in a large farmhouse and am a collector of crap, mainly fabric, so a lot of stuff would have to go. Then there is the cost, with apts being at least $600 plus and my mortgage being $180.00 a month (which has been paid off several times).I have 10 acres so I can have a garden if I want and have my privacy. I also have lived here since I was 12 (in and out after graduation and a brief go at marriage) I gave my daughter some adjoining land so there is another tie. But it sometimes crosses my mind to chuck it all.
    Don't chuck it all!!!!! Consider this.... what you save not paying rent, can pay for repairs by professionals! Plus, rent keeps going up and up. I'm guessing your mortgage doesn't. Of course, there's taxes but hopefully they don't inflate as fast as rents.

The rents in your area are around the $600 mark?!!! Mama mia, you can't find anything around here under $1200. Enjoy where you are!

I'm 81 and still living in my own (paid for) home. I can do what I want to it, move furniture around where I want and living on 2 acres plus, have very little neighbor problem. I can let the dogs out, garden and I have two of four son living ten minutes away. One is and electrical engineer and the other has been in the building business for years. They are excellent auto mechanics also.

Since we have lived in the same area for 50 years, they also know loads of people who can fix anything from plumbing to roofs.

Rent? Bite your tongue!

oh, you are all great, and hilarious! I've done a lot of thinking before and since I posted this, and decided I would be giving up much more than I think and getting much less in return.

The funny part is, after one thing after another going wrong, squirels in the attic, a new septic system, neighbors chopping down my beautiful trees, in Nov my dryer died. That did it. I wasn't going to put another cent into it. I put the house on the market. Well, by Jan 2 I was tired of the laundromat thing and bought a dryer. I LOVE my dryer! Always did but this one meant more after not having one. Then, I painted my daughter's room (pillow talk it's called, a whisper of pink) because she was going to move back in after a spat with the bf but they patched things up. So I started looking around and spackled a few things and took 2 truckloads of junk from my barn to the dump, got rid of some old stuff, and really looked at my house. You know, I love my house. There are things that need to be done that I can do, so I decided to go for it.

Yesterday I took it off the market. :D :D :D

I'm soooooooooo happy! I feel so excited! I'm surprised I haven't kissed the walls I feel so good about it. I've been here 12 years, the longest I've lived anywhere, and decided that I'm going to do whatever I need to to keep it pretty and me in it.

And to lacikat - thanks for the hair compliment!
    And to mar32428 - I hope I am as fortunate!

Thank you all for the positives!

Yeah! Glad you decided to stay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast