Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Questions about the Paducah Quilt Show Please >

Questions about the Paducah Quilt Show Please

Questions about the Paducah Quilt Show Please

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Red face Questions about the Paducah Quilt Show Please

Can someone help me with this question about the Paducah Quilt Show? If you have been their, do you know if you can bring in one of those small carts on wheels for shopping?? I thought about a wagon, but i thought that would be too big. I am making me a vest with lots of pockets so i do not have to carry a bag. And is there enough parking available, or will i have to walk miles?? Coat Check available??
Or if you have other suggestions, please feel free to let me know. First time going. Thank you in advance.

Thank you

Mary
Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM

I hope you already made your reservations. I'm going for the first time too, but had a hard time finding some rooms.
I'm not able to answer your questions, since I don't know anything about it yet.

I'll keep watching this thread so I might know what to expect.

May be we'll see each other there.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM

Have you checked the website. When looking at the Road to California website they listed that carts and strollers were not permitted. For such a big show as Paducah I imagine they'd also list their restrictions on the website. Sounds like you might be prepared though with the vest you're making. Have fun!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM

The last time I was at the Paducah show you couldn't bring in a shopping bag on wheels or strollers. They had a bag check right outside the doors in the hall though. Paducah is warm enough in April you won't need a coat, well maybe a raincoat but that's it.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Thank you sooo much for your reponses, i will check the web site again, i bet i overlooked it.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Parking is great. I usually park at Hancocks' lot and catch the free buses that go to every part of Paducah. You can park at Eleanor Burns Tent sales and show, huge field to park in. Parking at the quilt show parking lot cost a few dollars. you can park at the Quilt museum for free. The quilt show, museum, and historic downtown is all in walking distance. E Burns tents from there you need to ride the trolley or drive. Hancocks's parking lot you need the trolly from any of the above. The mall has lots of quilt vendors so don't pass that up. It's a few miles from Hancock's. All the buses go from one to the other for free but tip the driver. Allow a lot of time on the buses as it stops a lot. If you park at EBurns tents the ground gates close at 6 pm. Hancocks stay open late, 9 pm I think.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 AM

I lived in Paducah for 11 years and worked at Hancock Fabrics, hired for just the quilt show. You'll probably not find any parking any where close. While working at Hancocks some ladies took a cab from Nashville because that was the closest they could get to Paducah. Are you going with someone that can drive you in and drop you off? And if you go to Hancocks be prepared to stand in a very long line. I've cut fabric for ladies that have had two and three carts piled full.
When we lived there they used to have a trolly but that was almost 8 years ago. If you don't have reservations by now you won't find any. The only thing I can suggestis trying to find someone that knows where you can rent a house or BB for when you'll be there. There is a BB across the river in Metropolis, not sure if that's still there or not. A lot of people rent out a spare room in their house just for the quilt show. We have friends that have a motorhome that they rent out during the qult show. It gets crazy there during the show. The population of Paducah actually doubles at this time.

If you have time you need to see Grand Rivers. It's a quaint, really cute town with antique shops and a cute bakery, not sure if that's still there or not, but Patty's is still there. Yummy, yummy pork chops!
Don't miss English's Sew & Vac or Quilters Alley. English's usually has really great prices on machines. Their machines are normally lower in price then other dealers to begin with. And they are super, super people and the girls that work with them are just the best. Even though I don't live there any longer I still buy all my machines from them. Any time I have a problem I call Kenny, the on site service man. He always walks me through any problmes with my machine. Super people and super service. It will be very hectic, very crowed but a lot of fun. Enjoy.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 AM

as a common courtesy to your fellow shoppers, please leave the wheeled shopping bags in your car or at home. They are dangerous when the shopper stops to look and just leaves the cart in the aisle behind them. If it isn't a rule already,they should be forbidden. Think of it as a courtesy to everyone else.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 AM

I was at the market and show in Houston last fall, and saw a near-accident with someone using a rolling bag. It is just too crowded for people to be able to look down constantly to make sure the way is clear. It has been a couple years since I was last in Paducah, but at that time they did have a place where you could "check" bags so as not to have to carry heavy things all day.

Also, the shuttle buses are great. You do not need to worry about driving close to the show. The buses head all over town
Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by luv2so View Post
I lived in Paducah for 11 years and worked at Hancock Fabrics, hired for just the quilt show. You'll probably not find any parking any where close. While working at Hancocks some ladies took a cab from Nashville because that was the closest they could get to Paducah. Are you going with someone that can drive you in and drop you off? And if you go to Hancocks be prepared to stand in a very long line. I've cut fabric for ladies that have had two and three carts piled full.
When we lived there they used to have a trolly but that was almost 8 years ago. If you don't have reservations by now you won't find any. The only thing I can suggestis trying to find someone that knows where you can rent a house or BB for when you'll be there. There is a BB across the river in Metropolis, not sure if that's still there or not. A lot of people rent out a spare room in their house just for the quilt show. We have friends that have a motorhome that they rent out during the qult show. It gets crazy there during the show. The population of Paducah actually doubles at this time.

If you have time you need to see Grand Rivers. It's a quaint, really cute town with antique shops and a cute bakery, not sure if that's still there or not, but Patty's is still there. Yummy, yummy pork chops!
Don't miss English's Sew & Vac or Quilters Alley. English's usually has really great prices on machines. Their machines are normally lower in price then other dealers to begin with. And they are super, super people and the girls that work with them are just the best. Even though I don't live there any longer I still buy all my machines from them. Any time I have a problem I call Kenny, the on site service man. He always walks me through any problmes with my machine. Super people and super service. It will be very hectic, very crowed but a lot of fun. Enjoy.
I will look grand rivers up on the computer and try and see it while i am their, thank you for the info