Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Using a Kindle Fire

Questions on Using a Kindle Fire

I ordered the Kindle advertised for $39.00. I am trying to figure out what I need to download to use it. I like to read books but especially enjoy quilting books and magazines. I do not do much online shopping or stream movies or music. I am wondering if I have to get a paid subscription from Amazon in order to use this or is there free things available to get books. I read about Prime or Amazon subscription......I guess I really don't understand the difference on what is available. Also when I ordered this it ask if you wanted one locked or not. Think I got the locked one. Didn't know exactly what that meant! I haven't got the Kindle yet but trying to figure out what I need to do to be able to use it when it does come. Any help from those who have one would be appreciated!

I am hooked on Kindle reading. I received Amazon gift cards from time to time. I try to order books that are on special but have relented to buying their full price when it's a book I really want to read at the time. I've never used free Kindle books from the public library but I understand that they are free. I don't know much about the operation of the Kindle but I do know how to order and load. My next step in learning will be to learn how to store the books that I own in the "cloud" -- whatever that is. ;o) Believe me, if you love to read, you will love your Kindle. I carry mine along with me. When others are on their phones, I'm on my Kindle. Enjoy!
    One step at a time, always forward.

Our son got us a kindle fire for christmas a few years ago I like to read so he thought it would be great but after downloading several free books and reading one I find that I prefer a real book. On the other hand my husband loves it for Games and surfing the net.

i have an older Kindle but the format should be similar for books. There are two ways to get books through Amazon. First go into Amazon website and go to Kindle eReader and then onto Kindle eBooks. Once you are on that page, look up at Search Bar and it will say Kindle Store- just type free kindle book and it will take you to free book page. I then usually sort by AVE CUSTOMER REVIEW at top right drop down tool. Then I choose the ones I want that are free. The next time I turn my Kindle on they are there- nice and neat. OR you can use your kindle to get them. My older kindle uses this process. Up at top it says Books - click- takes you to next page- click on STORE- taking you to store page. Then in search line, type free kindle books. I again sort by average customer review and scroll through finding free ones. Now the scoop on free. I find most are Series or classic books and it is a great way to see a new author. Some are good for a day or a limited time, so get them while free. There are about 25-30 categories if you choose -see more.

If you are using Amazon on your computer to choose the free books, it is better to go back a page to list than to hit continue shopping tab as it will take you back to beginning Kindle page. I rarely pay for a book as the Prime membership allows you to borrow a free book each month and will all the free ones, I have plenty to read. Some of the Kindle Unlimited books are also available as Buy for Free - but be careful there is no small print under it that says (With Kindle Unlimited).

I also use my local library's free eReader system. It will deliver the book to Amazon and you download from Amazon. Mine is available for just two weeks lending period.

Just play with it. If you have questions, just go into Amazon.com customer support and send them a message. They will get back to you. NO live support.

Lots of great reading out there!

There are many, many free sites for kindle books. I just googled free e-books and picked a few. I also borrow books from the library. I just have a plain vanilla kindle so I'm not sure about the locked/unlocked business. Mine came with a Kindle User's Guide right on it; not hard to set up at all. You will love it!

When you turned the Kindle on, you had to register it, following the instructions that showed on the screen. If it was locked then your info was already on file. If it was unlocked then you would have to go add the Kindle to a specific Amazon account. On Amazon there is a Kindle help page. Everything you need to know is right there. You have a free trail of Prime and Kindle Unlimited with every new Kindle Fire. Go to
    http://www.pixelofink.com/
    When you see a book you like click on Still Free and it will take you right to Amazon to buy it for $0.00. It will automatically be sent to your Kindle.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 12-12-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I will be learning about one, because my son has ordered me and my hubby both one. My hubby has had readers in the past.

Does anyone know if it works for other tablets? We have Amazon Prime and a Samsung tablet that my husband uses to download books to read. I noticed the Prime books earlier this week, but forgot to check it out until I saw this thread.

There is also a Kindle forum that answers any questions you can think of. We have the tablet
    and the reader and love them both. Good luck.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

There is also a site https://www.bookbub.com/home/ If you put in your email address they will send you notices on free or low cost books. You don't need to store your books on the cloud. They will be automatically stored in your Amazon library. Once you download a book to your Kindle it will show up on your screen. When you're done reading it ,if you don't want it on your screen, hold your finger on the icon until a notice pops up. You can then remove the book from your device or just from the Carousel(which is your screen). The book is still stored in your Amazon account. When you sign in to Amazon on the right hand side is a menu that says "Your account" Drop down the menu and go to "Manage your content and devices" That's where all your books are listed. If you want it back on your Kindle just download it again.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    There is also a Kindle forum that answers any questions you can think of. We have the tablet
    Can you give us a link to the forum? I have a kindle keyboard for reading and bought the 34$ Fire, got an email that it's to come tomorrow!! Am looking at cases and the screensavers to protect the screen. am excited about using the Fire!!

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    Can you tell us how to access the forum....link....? Thanks! I ordered the $34 Fire too and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I'm excited! Have been looking on Amazon at cases and the screen protectors. also a stylus...those who have one....do you use a stylus or your finger?

I use the Kindle App on my Kindle Fire, Samsung tablet, android phone (did have an iPhone and used it on that, too). It works just fine. Another site that sends a daily email with free books or specially priced books is pixelofink.com And they will customize the recommendations they send you when you register for the emails. I ready probably 10-15 books a month on my tablet, and most of them are free. Sometimes I get hooked when I read a free one and have to buy the next (and next, and next...) to keep up with the happenings. I would not part with my Kindle app for anything. I have internet access wherever I am with my tablet, so I can download a book any time I need to, check my email, or facebook. Yes, I'm HOOKED!
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I ordered that kindle too - for no reason I can fathom! I have an iPad and iPhone and put the kindle app on both of them and it is really easy - just some clicking. Hard to make a mistake and you can't break it by poking around on it. Try YouTube with a specific question and I'll bet there are a bunch of videos showing how.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I don't know how to unlock but I have read dozens of Free kindle books, mostly suspense but they have been great except for 2. Read them anyway but they never got better! You can download from your local library as well.
    Patski
    always learning

Thanks for all the Kindle information!

Thanks for sharing your ideas on using the Kindle. I appreciate all the suggestions. It is suppose to be here by the end of the week!

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Kindle Fire and Kindle reader are two different devices. Kindle reader is in black and white and has a technology that the screen looks like a printed page. It is not backlit like a computer screen. Kindle Fire is a tablet that is in color with a back lit screen and while you can read books on it I find it very tiring on this type of screen. You can use the Kindle Fire to play games, surf the net, check your e-mail etc much like you do with a computer. I have both and use them for different things. I read books on my Kindle reader and like the Fire to use in the kitchen to refer to recopies, next to my sewing machine to refer to a quilt pattern/picture, on the go to check my e-mail etc. It is like a little portable computer as long as you have wifi.
    One way to have easy access to free and low costs books is to go to Book Bub and get on their e-mail list. They will send you an e-mail each day with free or low costs book suggestions based on what genre you tell them and what device you are using. For example I like mystery and history so those are the suggestions I receive for my Kindle reader. You can then just download them with a click.

Go to bookbub, a lot of free & inexpensive books for your Kindle, enjoy!

Go to Manage Your Content and Devices on Amazon website and on that page on the top of the page is links to every thing you need for a Kindle. Forums, help, accessories, Kindle Unlimited, daily deals, E books, etc. The Manage your Content and Devices is also your Cloud storage. You can delete the book and apps from your Kindle but it will always be in your cloud to get back later if you want it.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    If I am not mistaken the Kindle is a complete tablet. Thatmeans you can add your local library app. Most libraries will help you set thisup if you have problems. You can also add the Nook app from Barns and Noble. Ifyou search 0.00 on the Nook app you can get thousands of free books.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Love , www.pixelofink.com , they send you books every day to your e-mail. Also www.bookbub.com Some of the books are free on both sites.

Blog Entries
    I just use the Kindle app from Amazon.com downloaded into my computer. My biggest drawback on it, I did buy several craft books but it will not let you print any of the contents.I also have a Barnes &Noble Nook,which I love more than the Kindle. Does anyone know if I got a Kindle fire,can I send items to my printer to print?

You can send pdf files to the Kindle Fire from your computer but I haven't found a way to print them from the Kindle Fire.
    There are two types of Kindles. One is for reading with no color and one is full color for reading, internet, apps, etc.

www.bookbub.com has lots of free books for the kindle. I have the Kindle Fire 6.5.
    Sharon in Texas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    Can you give us a link to the forum? I have a kindle keyboard for reading and bought the 34$ Fire, got an email that it's to come tomorrow!! Am looking at cases and the screensavers to protect the screen. am excited about using the Fire!!
    Mine is arriving on Wednesday. I read my Kindle books on my Kindle app on my iPhone. I need to learn how to use the Kindle Fire ($35 one) so when my grandkids show up I can let them use it.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast