quilt guild name tags

Old 10-05-2013, 03:25 PM

I belong to a guild and when we attend, we fill out a free door prize ticket. If we also wear our name tags, we can fill out an additional door prize ticket. We all make our own name tags. Some just put their yearly membership card in a plastic holder and pin it on and some make very elaborate name tags. Some are worn as a pin and some on a lanyard that has the guild name on it. I wear a name tag that was made for me when I took a quilt class. The teacher made each of us a name tag. I'm glad we have name tags because I have a terrible memory and it really helps me when I see their name. When we have visitors, we have a sticky label they can write their name on.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:15 PM

My guild suggests everyone make their own cloth name tag and wear it to meetings. You can't get a door prize if you aren't wearing one. Everyone makes theirs unique. Some are smaller and others larger, some are on a strap and worn like a necklace, others pin or magnet onto their shirt. If people are really into certain colors, they'll use those. Some are simple, just a hand embroidered name on a piece of fabric. Others are rather elaborate, with a small pieced block or a fused picture. I fused flowers all over on a black background, for mine. I added a magnet on the back so I don't put holes in my shirts.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Our guild has name tags (made in the form of a log cabin block) for all the members as we use them when we have our booth at the fair, when we have our quilt show, when we give away the student awards and when we have our CHRISTmas house, etc. We meet every week.

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
just curious... how many people are there in your guild and how often do you meet?

I always thought name tags were for the "I'm a new member" or for one-time events like trade conferences.

Do guilds have other similar rules to ensure conformity?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:28 PM

I too just joined a guild and, for the holidays, they're having a name tag exchange. I had no idea what to do so I went to Google images and found a lot of really good ideas. Just type in quilted name tags. There are too many cute ones
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Check with your guild. My guild requires everyone to have the same design on the badge. They also gave us the directions to make it.
We do that in my guild too.... the person making the tag can use whatever colours she wants!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM

At our guild we all wear our name tags.. we have a good bunch, probably 50 at the meetings... Everyone has made their own tag. We have no rules for the name tags. I have several.. mostly made from a minature quilt block with my name printed on it with a perma pen. I also made a paper pieced one, and a tiny tiny cathedral window block I wanted to try out. We pay a 25 cent 'fine' for not wearing our name tag, that money goes into a fund that pays for a card or flowers for someone who is sick or has lost a family memeber.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Our guild has about 125 members. It is so confusing when I don't know everyone, and the membership changes every year. It is difficult to remember everyone's name! I only wish we required members to wear their tags. We do have a common badge that can be purchased or you can make your own. I have an 'official' badge which identifies me as a member. I also made my own by doing a hand applique flower onto felt and put my name on the leaves. When I was Program Director we held a door prize every meeting and to be eligible you had to be wearing your name tag. It worked and people began to know each other better!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 AM

I usually wear the badge I received from the last quilt show I attended. Just returned from the Des Moines show so will now use that one. Sparks lot of fun conversations.'m menu
Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 PM

I was going to ask this same question... The guild I am joining requires a name tag, but there are no specific guidelines or pattern. Each person needs to make a name tag and wear it to every meeting. I am not sure what to do. The members put some thought and effort into their name tags and they are all different.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Our guild gives a pattern and fabric for us to make our name tags.