Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia >

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM

If you have a camping supply store near, check out their "self inflating" sleeping pads. I use one on backpacking trips. You can sleep on rocks with those things and not feel a bump! They can be a tad expensive but are worth it for a good nights sleep.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I have been known to go out to my car for a snooze! I always have a travel quilt and pillow in the car specifically for that.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
If I was in my 50's, I would go... bringing all my comforts with me. But I'm in my 60's now, and absolutely would not... I'm much happier and more comfortable at home where I can rest, work, rest in 15 minute intervals....... but that's just me.. Maybe you should try it once, so you'll know next time a retreat comes up..
BrendaY,
You should come to one of the Oregon/SW Washington retreats with us. Beds, eat when you want, rest when you want. If you just want to sit and chat then sit and chat. If it is at Lincoln City, heck you can even go gamble. There are no rules except to have fun at your own pace. :thumbup:
Anyone is welcome.
Faith :XD:
Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM

I have fibro, too, and it is frustrating because when I want to do something, it seems like that's when it flares up. You just go at your own pace. If you want to go to the retreat, you can go and lay down when you need to. Hopefully the things that are going on around you will make you not that aware of your pain.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:59 PM

I have fibro that is mostly controlled with magnesium. But the flare ups are very uncomfortable. I went to a retreat last year and I just got up from my chair (I took my own) and went to iron, see what everyone else was working, chit chat, or just took a walk. Also went to my room earlier than most in the evening. It was fun and I didn't suffer too much. However, my commute was only about 10 minutes!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I'm planning on going to the Lake Huron retreat also. If it would help, I can drive.. I have a Tahoe, so it is comfortable for longer trips and for most passengers.

PM me if you are interested.
Thank you so much for the offer but my neighbor is planning on going with a couple of others so not sure who's driving. It will either be a Ford Fusion for a big F350 - 4 door (probably this one).

If I make it, I will definitely find you and thank you for your kind offer in person.

:thumbup:
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I sometimes have to go to a event for a couple of days and I am constantly busy while there. I pace myself leading up to the event. If I have to drive, I allow time to stop and walk around. I take my own pillows (a bunch of small ones) to prop various parts of me up and I increase my pain meds just a little. I have a pillow I use while I'm "busy" and I make sure to get up and walk around every little bit and do a little stretching especially doing repetitive work. I make it thru and when I get home, I crash for a day or 2. I can't stop the pain while I'm at the event and always pray that I'm not in a major flareup. But these little "preparations" help me thru and I can enjoy the event while I'm there. My doctor gave me little exercises to do if I have to sit, stand or drive too long. And don't be shy if you have to stop and rest...otherwise it wouldn't be known as a retreat!
You sound exactly like me and that's what I was wondering. I know I will crash for proably a week afterwards. Just the drive alone (2 hours) will wear me out. And I know we're leaving in the evening so that won't help either.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
If I was in my 50's, I would go... bringing all my comforts with me. But I'm in my 60's now, and absolutely would not... I'm much happier and more comfortable at home where I can rest, work, rest in 15 minute intervals....... but that's just me.. Maybe you should try it once, so you'll know next time a retreat comes up..
That's kinda where I'm at .... do a little, rest a while, do a little, rest for hours. I'm almost 60 and have had Fibro for at least 13 years. The arthritis doesn't help either.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by grayma
I have fibro that is mostly controlled with magnesium. But the flare ups are very uncomfortable. I went to a retreat last year and I just got up from my chair (I took my own) and went to iron, see what everyone else was working, chit chat, or just took a walk. Also went to my room earlier than most in the evening. It was fun and I didn't suffer too much. However, my commute was only about 10 minutes!
Magnesium??? How much do you take? I know I take it in my multi-vits but not as a separate supplement. Do you know "how" it helps? I just take Tramadol for pain and Zanaflex for muscle spasms. I'm curious about any nature remedies.

And, yes, that's what I'm thinking if I do decide to go. Just putter along as I feel up to it.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my query. I knew I wasn't alone with dealing with Fibro and trying to quilt. Couple that with arthritis definitely affects how and what I do.

Thank you ALL !!!