Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilting and stained glass...similar! :) >

Quilting and stained glass...similar! :)

Quilting and stained glass...similar! :)

Old 11-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by christinelf View Post
I would take the easy way out and use glass paint/dye right on the existing panes. No glass to remove; putting another layer of glass would be very heavy I think.
You have a good idea, thanks.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:51 AM

My sister used to do stained glass before she had kids, but being a single mom with two little ones made her have to put it all up in storage. Now they're getting to be teenagers so she's been talking about taking it up again.

Our grandmother (who was also a quilter) used to make stained glass swag lamps when those were the big thing in the 70's. I believe she sold them, as well as making them for herself and family. I used to have a big brown and orange one in my bedroom as a child, until an errant wiffle-ball bat took it out. (It wasn't me!!)

I did a faux stained-glass window for my living room sewing room, though (below). We have a little square window that allowed people standing on the porch to see directly into our house. We didn't want to fuss with a curtain rod or a blind for such a small window, so I bought a square of acrylic and had it cut to size, and painted four quilt blocks on it with faux stained glass paint. I love it, the sun comes through it every morning and paints the floor lovely colors and nobody can see through it. Not quite as nice as real stained glass, but better than the cardboard DH had put up! LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583896[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails window.jpg  
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 PM

A local sewing machine restorer has a quilting wife. He does 6x6 foot stained glass pieces. Used to design highways with CAD equipment. Now he designs glass.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
My sister used to do stained glass before she had kids, but being a single mom with two little ones made her have to put it all up in storage. Now they're getting to be teenagers so she's been talking about taking it up again.

Our grandmother (who was also a quilter) used to make stained glass swag lamps when those were the big thing in the 70's. I believe she sold them, as well as making them for herself and family. I used to have a big brown and orange one in my bedroom as a child, until an errant wiffle-ball bat took it out. (It wasn't me!!)

I did a faux stained-glass window for my living room sewing room, though (below). We have a little square window that allowed people standing on the porch to see directly into our house. We didn't want to fuss with a curtain rod or a blind for such a small window, so I bought a square of acrylic and had it cut to size, and painted four quilt blocks on it with faux stained glass paint. I love it, the sun comes through it every morning and paints the floor lovely colors and nobody can see through it. Not quite as nice as real stained glass, but better than the cardboard DH had put up! LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583896[/ATTACH]
I will try your idea of using paint. Where can it be purchased?