Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilting and stained glass...similar! :) >

Quilting and stained glass...similar! :)

Quilting and stained glass...similar! :)

Old 11-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Default Quilting and stained glass...similar! :)

Just started my stained glass class. It is very interesting. As I was choosing colors and patterns to co-ordinate in my design I realized it was so similar to quilting. Took me quite a while as I kept thinking I wanted a certain look, then saw other ideas. Just like choosing fabric colors and patterns for quilts. Anyone else go stained glass work?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 PM

I have thought of dabbling in it, but the last thing I need is another hobby. I barely have time for the ones I have.

Stained glass windows are certainly beautiful.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

my mother was into stained glass big time... sold work and taught classes. the part i didn't like was the horrible damage it did to her fingers. i love looking at the work, though
Old 11-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm another one who can't handle one more art form lol
I love to do too many things!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM

I made a leaded stained glass window panel in a beginner class once years ago, just out of college. I held my hands too close together and sliced both wrists snapping my first cut, lol. Didn't even realize it until I saw blood on my pant leg. But I enjoyed the class. I have a sister and bil who both do gorgeous stained glass pieces with copper foil. They have a couple of large stained glass pieces they made inset into wall openings at home. I have yet to make a stained glass fabric piece, though. I bought all the fusible "lead" years ago. Need to move that up the list a bit and get to it next year.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM

I’ve dine stained glass quilting and it’s lots of fun. There are several ways to do it but they all come out beautiful. My friend gave a workshop tat our guild this past summer - I need to get back and finish my piece. and neat thing is that real stained glass patterns (they were called cartoon back in the early 70s when I did the real glass kind) can be enlarged and used for fabric.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 PM

I bought my stained glass in an old window frame at an auction sale many years ago & hung it in my West kitchen window above the sink. Lovely anytime but more so when the sun goes down.
Also have a leaded clear glass window from the 1st house we owned. I stripped the paint & refinished the wood, it’s above our sofa & I enjoy it every day. The stained glass shop told me it’s rare.
I also had a 15 pane wooden storm door insert but DD talked me out of it !
Old 11-09-2017, 06:14 PM

Stained glass is on my bucket list. I have a friend who does beautiful stained glass work. I can't afford his pieces. Not too worried about the cuts...I seem to have a habit of doing that on my own...and I have the scars to prove it!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
Stained glass is on my bucket list. I have a friend who does beautiful stained glass work. I can't afford his pieces. Not too worried about the cuts...I seem to have a habit of doing that on my own...and I have the scars to prove it!
Anniedeb, I believe the leaded stained glass is a bit more difficult than the copper foil technique, but I could be wrong. And I think there are size limitations to a piece done all in copper foil. Do a bit of research before signing up for a class to make sure you get what you want. Either way, you need to be neat at soldering.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:50 AM

I've never done stained glass but I'm often inspired by it. In church I'll look at the stained glass windows and imagine making a quilt with the same design. There is one window in church that is not stained glass but when the sun shines through it gets right in the ministers eyes during his sermons. So a large ugly shade was hung there. I keep thinking "wouldn't it be cool to make a quilt to look like a stained glass window and put it there?"