Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quit quilting and clean House

I'm down-sizing, or as they call it these days, right-sizing. I've been getting rid of stuff for about a month - much of it things I'd forgotten I had and/or never used. I met with a realtor today. It won't be long until I move from a 3 BR 1500 sq foot condo to a 2 BR 1000 sq foor retirement apartment. The monthly fees include all my utilities, once a week housecleaning, linen service (sheets and towels), and one meal a day. I can hardly wait!!

Gotta run ... I'm off on another trip to Goodwill.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Dust bunnies don't scare me but as soon as I catch that cob he's getting flushed. I now have electric heat and it seems like cobwebs have gone crazy-I sweep the floors every day and the ceilings every other day. But as I was reading every ones posts I was looking around and its time to do a bit de-cluttering maybe. I have 3prs of shoes 2 prs of boots and an array of jackets and coats on the backs of chairs. Our weather is very squirrelly- Mon. was a hoodie-Tues was a jean jacket-Weds was a heavy wool long coat-today is a spring jacket - Fri and Sat. will be shorts and T-shirt. I try to keep up with my messes. And if I know I'm getting company I will dust and do a second sweeping. But I do a complete old fashion spring and fall cleaning I figure that's enough heavy cleaning a year. My sewing room gets a good going over after each project. I can not stand a messy sewing room -it zaps my creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
    When I first retired a year and a half ago, every morning about 8 I would start cleaning one room, cleaning cupboards, closets, etc. and work on it until about 11:30. Then I would have lunch and sew/quilt the rest of the day. Now I am on the computer until about 9, get dressed and quilt. Floors and furniture get dusted once a week, laundry gets done and I do lots of quilting. My DH teases me about my quilting dust causing him to have "quilters lung"! To help combat that, I keep the door to my studio closed. Life is too short to not do what makes one happy. Quilt On!
    Tell him vacuums are not gender biased! lol

Blog Entries
    A spider needs a place to live, and if you ever look at a spider web that catches the light it is beautiful.
    I remind myself of that every time I find one in my house.

Blog Entries
    I live alone and my kitchen and bathrooms are always clean, but I wait for my dear cousin to come down from Canada for a visit, then I do a deep clean - which reminds me she'll be here in 3 weeks so I'd better get started!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I am in a cleaning frenzy at this time. My DH and I both got sick two weeks ago and are now better so it is time to change the sheets, clean the bathroom, vac and dust. I hate to clean or do anything when I am sick so if I start to feel bad, first thing I do is change the sheets so I will have clean sheets to be sick in. The first thing I do when I get better is to change the sheets so I will have clean sheets to feel good in. I hate to dust and vac but it seems I have a dust magnet and my dog sheds everywhere. I would rather quilt than clean but it seems that if I don't clean I don't feel like I want to quilt. Just an idiosyncrasy, I guess.

Blog Entries
    The dust bunnies may not kill us but it's the dust rhinos that worry me. They are scary and I swear they growl!
    I clean bits and pieces here but mostly quilt and am job hunting too.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I don't have tooo much of a problem with the vacuum cleaner, its the dusting that drives me crazy. I hate it, however, after a remodel of the kitchen, the whole house is under '6 feet' of dust and insulation - even had to take my sewing machine into the shop for cleaning and oiling. So.........I guess it is time to stop the quilting and get on my horse and DO IT. This time will be ceiling to floor with bucket and swab (even the windows need to be done). Who knows - I might find Treasures. wish me luck.

I was also widowed in Feb. 2013 and I don't have a lot of company. I can definitely say I ain't scared of no dust bunnies. I do whatever I feel like when I get up I do try to keep up with some of the house work but I sew most of the time..

I can't stand a mess or dirt so I straighten up every day and clean once a week. Make my bed everyday, dirty dishes in the dish washer.... I even comb my hair and put make-up on every morning. No offense to some of you, but when you post pictures of your homes, my friends and I can't help but think that you too might want to spend a bit less time in front of the sewing machine, and a little more time tending to your cleaning. Yikes!!!!!!

I got the shelves( I spelled wrong in my new thread post) in the master bedroom cleaned today. HOO Ray! My DH had to stand by and go shake the rags and I used him to hold onto when I got off the top step of the stool. thanks for the flylady web site. I signed up for her e-mails. I also cleaned the lights over the master bath. I thought about boxing all my stuff up and leaving the shelves empty so easier to clean but If I am going to do that, I my as well get rid of it all. I can't.
    Last edited by sewingsuz; 02-05-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    I have never let a cob web or dust bunnies bother me. As long as I have clean cloths, clean bathroom and the dishes are washed I'm happy!

I am also so very , very fortunate to have a dear huband that understands my need for sewing time after a forty hour work week. There isn't any chore he won't do so that I can be in front of my machine. I love him.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    After my husband died March 2, 2013, I needed to do something and so I just started cleaning. When I was taking care of him, stuff had to go by the wayside because he was more important than a few dustbunnies. I needed that work in the house to realize that it was me that was going to have to take care of it from now on, scared the bejabbers out of me. BUt here it is almost two years later. I am doing fine for a 76 year old bag!!!!!. I don't say I have to do this before I do that, but when I diddly darn feel like it. Every thing gets done one way or the other. But when I just felt like sitting and sewing, that so took precedence over everything. Who's going to tell on us, the Dust Bunnies?????? They are darn lucky we just leave them alone!!!!! I am in the process of starting a new quilt and there is a lot of fussy cutting in it, but I love it and I am happy when I can do stuff like sewing. Good luck to you Linda1. We'll make it! For you it is February and for me it is March 2. I will take a rose to Fort Snelling National Cemetery in St. Paul/Minneapolis and visit him for a while. And then come home. He was such a good husband and absolutely gorgeous. I think he is proud that I have made it alone - but with the dog, and since October 2 two parakeets and now in April I am going to get a couple of Finches and put them in my sewing area, hang them from the ceiling.

Take care. God Bless you. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

It seems if the kitchen and bathrooms are clean and the laundry and grocery shopping is done, and the sewing room cleaned up, I don't care about the dust. When I can see the dust on things on the high shelves that is when I say OK, that is enough , time to stop for awhile and get this museum cleaned up. I am kind of a hoarder but a neat one. I have a lot of stuff but it all has it's place. I always cleaned my kitchen cupboards one a year but now it has been 2 yrs. I seem to clean the small pantry about every two months and that is because I need to find stuff to cook with.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    In 100 years, who will know if your house was clean or not? .....but I'll bet one or more of your quilts might have survived. That's my justification.

I had a surprise to clean up to day.....Fridg went out yesterday so I had to clean it out, and move it so I could wash the walls & floor, so the new that is coming in 10 days will have a clean spot. Then I decided to clean under the stove as well, consider the kitchen house cleaned now. I do one cupboard at a time as needed. The floor is never clean when we havew drop-in guests, as we live on a farm.

Blog Entries
    When I do clean, I try to not use chemicals. Vinigar mixed with water 50/50 works on almost everything and in the shower or bath vinigar with baking soda. The chemicals give me a headache and put me in a bad bood. Cleaning with things that are not so harsh is far less upsetting.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Your Mom was a wise woman!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Now that I am retired I finally have time to clean the way I want. I FOLLOW the Flylady also and have found I do not have to spend hours cleaning but do not have to worry about webs and big messes. I usually sew for a while each day but do take a short break to pick up an area or start dinner or fold a load of clothes. I do not want to be embarrassed if someone stops over.

my doc told me many years ago, STOP WORRYING ABOUT DUST!. it'll be here even after your long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Tell him vacuums are not gender biased! lol
    I really don't mind doing the floors and furniture once in a while. DH cleans the kitchen, bathrooms and cooks. Guess I have to do my share. LOL DH many times tells me not to clean - go sew. He only has to tell me that once!
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    If anyone is interested, I have a niece, who did not take after me, I can guarantee that!!!! Her name is Becky Rapinchuk, and she wrote a book called "The Organically Clean Home". It is a really good book and she tells how she gets everything done in one felled swoop, she makes her own organic cleaning products and has a blog and you can even print up lists with places to check the job done off. That is my kind of cleaning. I don't make a whole lot of the products. You can find her at www.cleanmama.net. She is a real sweetheart. Love her dearly. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I had a cleaning lady. Then I retired and moved. Now it's take care of Mom, take care of a business, take care of the car (can't be washed at the car wash...it's convertible) and then if there's time left, I get to sew. House? Cleaning? I try to dust and DH sweeps once a week. It's just crazy. Hopefully, people come to see me and not my house. I have to dust due to an allergy to dust mites, so that does get done.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh my goodness! I thought dust was a protective coating, and my house is very well protected.

The secret to having a clean house everyday is to clean a clean house. I go to bed with a clean house and wake up to one. That is a good feeling. Takes no time at all. My sewing room is the exception.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast