Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Random questions about your Christmas celebrations >

Random questions about your Christmas celebrations

Random questions about your Christmas celebrations

Old 12-22-2023, 01:42 PM

Default Random questions about your Christmas celebrations

As I was preparing to put my dinner in the oven for this evening I had random thoughts and questions pop into my head.
Do you mash potatoes with a masher or with an electric mixer?
Do you peel potatoes with a knife or a peeler?
Do you carve your turkey at the table or in the kitchen?
Do you generally serve buffet style or pass dishes at the table?
Do you have a special "kids" table?
Do you serve a big meal for Christmas eve?
Do you have to "share" family members every other holiday?
Do you host or are you a guest for Christmas?
Is alcohol served for either Christmas eve or Christmas Day?
Do the men help with the cooking and clean-up?
Are your Christmas guests allowed to bring their pets?
Do you make some of your food in advance and re-heat when it is time to eat?
Do you set a formal table with special linens, china, silver and crystal for Christmas?
Do you send all the leftovers home with your guests or keep them for yourself?
If you eat your big meal at noon on Christnas Day, does everyone eat a leftover supper before they head for home?
Do you play cards or board games after your big meal?

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 12-22-2023 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2023, 12:57 AM

Oh wow! That’s a lot of unnumbered questions-lol
1-use to use a masher, now a hand mixer, but we don’t have mashed potatoes at Christmas (rice instead)
2-peel potatoes with a knife, hubby keeps them all sharpen, remember recently😉
3-kitchen counter top for carving
4-Buffet style, I don’t have and am not a servant
5-no the small kids eat in my 5.5 foot hallway, on the floor
6-No meal Christmas Eve , ours is all day Christmas Day
7-we are fortunate that it’s worked out for the 24 of us. We plan for Christmas Day and by then all parties with in laws are over- one does usually have to leave early so maybe a little sharing
8-I am Host for Christmas Day
9-No alcohol use
10-No men cooking this meal, though they do sometimes cook and only one man, my hubby wants to help with clean up
11-No, sorry pets remain at their homes
12-I make sides the day before and reheat- cook Ham, Roast, meatloaves and (Turkey sometimes) morning of, along with the cornbread dressing. That’s all I’m good for Christmas morning-lol
13-Tried it once. Pretty, but more work and at my age, less work is better
14-Most all leftovers leave with them. I keep just a meal for me & hubs for the day after
15-Sure they eat what’s left for supper, you’re darn right!-lol
16-We sure do play games! The latest favorite is Farkle and all ages can play. I can only fit 12 at my table so some have to wait until another game or some may not want to play. It takes a while to all take a turn so sometimes we have 2 games going at once.

on a side note- Granddaughter flew in for an early Christmas. She left on a return flight last night after we all went to my daughters house for an early Christmas supper. We sent her home with a Farkle game. They FaceTime me tonight at midnight to ask how to continue if there is a tie. I explained and watched them play the end. The first game they played granddaughter rolled 4100 points her first roll! Game is 10,000 even. Her roommate ended with an impressive comeback score of 9450 but Lanie beat her with 10,000. Then they called about this tie game, where they both ended with 10,000.

Merry Christmas again! I received your annual Christmas letter and as always you amaze me at your writings.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:54 AM

We do Christmas Eve Family at my cousin's home. This year, after church we will gather for Tortilla soup and such. We have a White Elephant Christmas exchange-we are a large group.
Now, at Thanksgiving, we used to have a friendly skeet-shoot competition after dinner when we ate at the ranch!
Old 12-23-2023, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I use a potato masher and peeler if doing my own potatoes
If having turkey it is a breast and carved served on a platter
Family prepares their own plates from kitchen and eat at formal dining room table. I stopped the food dishes on table years ago.A lot of extra work for nothing and someone has to remove it all.
No kids table but do have extra table in dining room.
I do Christmas Day night meal at my house. I won't wake up and prepare a big meal for noon. Nope. I buy premade sides from the local caterer. Taste like mine, nothing fancy just the basic sides. It's my holiday too.
We don't have to share family, my kids in-laws live in the same area. The in-laws do Christmas Eve, and the kids/grands stay home Christmas morning.
We don't have alcoholic drinks but permitted.
Husband does the meat in the smoker
No one has to clean up.. I use ALL disposables Prep dishes/pans are cleaned as I use them.
My daughter brings her miniature dog. We have a dog .
Enough meat leftovers for sandwiches the next day.
We are usually finished eating and gift opening by 9 pm and everyone goes home. The grands may decide stay the night.
Tree and decorations are put away usually by day two after Christmas. Things back to normal and getting ready for the New Year's Dinner.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:42 PM

mash potatoes with a masher
peel potatoes with a peeler
carve your turkey in the kitchen
generally serve buffet style
no special "kids" table?\
No big meal for Christmas eve. We do charcuterie board and appetizers
Do you have to "share" family members every other holiday? Not yet.
\ host for Christmas
alcohol served for Christmas Day with the steaks for dinner
hubby helps with the cooking the steaks and shrimp on Christmas
Are your Christmas guests allowed to bring their pets? No
Do you make some of your food in advance and re-heat when it is time to eat? No
Do you set a formal table with special linens, china, silver and crystal for Christmas? no
all the leftovers for yourself
board games after your big meal
Old 12-28-2023, 05:58 AM

I use a masher to make mashed potatoes. The only person I knew to use a mixer made mashed potatoes that were almost unedible - they had the texture of glue. Maybe mixed too long?

Prior to her divorce, we did have to share holidays with our older daughter's inlaws. I would expect that to happen and wouldn't pressure our kids to not have time with their other family. Since the divorce, believe it or not, holidays have gotten harder and messier.

Pretty much all of the rest depends on who and when. We're pretty casual.

AngelaS, your comment about the charcuterie board made me giggle. DH and I do a charcuterie board for dinner once a week or so. At the last one, I wondered aloud why we call it that now. It used to just be a snack tray!
Old 12-28-2023, 07:23 AM

LOL peaceandjoy! My dh hates the term charcuterie board! My oldest calls them 'grown up Lunchables.' When they were small and dh traveled all the time, we reguarly had 'meat and cheese and crackers' for a meal. The kids loved it.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
Do you mash potatoes with a masher or with an electric mixer? Had twice-baked potatoes, so neither.
Do you peel potatoes with a knife or a peeler? See answer #1 - no need to peel.
Do you carve your turkey at the table or in the kitchen? Hubby smoked ribs - no turkey.
Do you generally serve buffet style or pass dishes at the table? All dishes were at the table. I had 2 dishes with rolls and butter, one for each end of the table.
Do you have a special "kids" table? No. Firstly, because all the kids are grown and we don't yet have the next crop of babies. Secondly, I don't like separating kids from adults. I don't like the exclusionary aspect of it, and I think they need to observe proper behavior and etiquette.
Do you serve a big meal for Christmas eve? No. Christmas Eve is for kicking back and relaxing after a busy week of prepping. Usually we have a friends get-together - everyone wears their jammies, brings an appetizer to share, we play games and have a white elephant gift exchange. It's a really fun way to pass what is typically a very long and antsy evening.
Do you have to "share" family members every other holiday? Not really. Both my family and my husband's family are very relaxed. If you're here, great. If you made plans to be elsewhere, we don't get our panties in a wad. We just Facetime the ones who are far away at some point in the day.
Do you host or are you a guest for Christmas? By default, I seem to have taken over the matriarchal duties for the holidays, so we usually host, unless we're visiting Hubby's family in another state.
Is alcohol served for either Christmas eve or Christmas Day? Yes. Lol.
Do the men help with the cooking and clean-up? My husband prepares the meat and dessert dishes. My sons help a LOT with leftovers and cleanup.
Are your Christmas guests allowed to bring their pets? Depends on the pet. Nephew has very calm, well-behaved and obedient dogs, so he's allowed to bring them. Otherwise, I don't think it's fair to displace our kitty in her own home. It's her Christmas, too.
Do you make some of your food in advance and re-heat when it is time to eat? I *prep* them. For instance - cranberry sauce, ice cream, and cheesecake were made the day before, asparagus and Brussels sprouts cleaned and chopped, twice-baked taters went thru their first bake. On Christmas Day I cook the veggies, bake the twice-baked potatoes the second time, and hubby smokes the ribs. My mom is always in charge of candied yams, which she brings over on Christmas Day.
Do you set a formal table with special linens, china, silver and crystal for Christmas? Yes. We have an extraordinary set of china with a fabulous back story. I want my children to have memories of us using it, so when it's time to pass the china down, they will value it and take care of it. My grandmother has china that I have no memories of ever being used and am therefore not attached to it at all. (Much to her dismay, now that she's trying to re-home it.)
Do you send all the leftovers home with your guests or keep them for yourself? This is too binary. It's not "all or none". If people want some, they're welcome to take some. Most of my guests love my cranberry relish, so they usually take a bowl of it home. (I always make double and tuck some in the back of the fridge for us, lol.)
If you eat your big meal at noon on Christnas Day, does everyone eat a leftover supper before they head for home? We don't eat the big meal at noon. We have a charcuterie smorgasbord thing going most of the day and eat the main meal about 4 or 5 pm.
Do you play cards or board games after your big meal? I would love to, but my mom and grandma are the only ones that like to play games, and they usually leave fairly early. Sometimes if I'm ahead of my food prep game and they arrive early enough, we'll play games before eating.
Well I guess I had lots to say about that, lol!

Last edited by Peckish; 12-28-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 12:51 PM

Do you mash potatoes with a masher or with an electric mixer? Masher
Do you peel potatoes with a knife or a peeler? Peeler
Do you carve your turkey at the table or in the kitchen? Kitchen
Do you generally serve buffet style or pass dishes at the table? Buffet
Do you have a special "kids" table? No
Do you serve a big meal for Christmas eve? No
Do you have to "share" family members every other holiday? No
Do you host or are you a guest for Christmas? Host
Is alcohol served for either Christmas eve or Christmas Day? Depends but usually not.
Do the men help with the cooking and clean-up? No, the kitchen is my domain. I clean it, if someone else helps or cleans it. I clean everything after they leave. If I don't do it, it doesn't feel clean.
Are your Christmas guests allowed to bring their pets? Yes, we have plenty of outdoor and indoor kennels.
Do you make some of your food in advance and re-heat when it is time to eat? Somethings are made ahead of time.
Do you set a formal table with special linens, china, silver and crystal for Christmas? No
Do you send all the leftovers home with your guests or keep them for yourself? The bulk of the leftovers are sent home with guests. We generally keep a meal or two for ourselves.
If you eat your big meal at noon on Christnas Day, does everyone eat a leftover supper before they head for home? We eat about 1:00 pm, no one stays for supper.
Do you play cards or board games after your big meal? No