Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rat Terrier Owners?

I have a rat terrier, he is a love. I adopted him last year from the humane society. He is old and I knew no one would adopt him, so he came home with me. He is very gentle and sweet. Check out your local animal shelter, they have so many wonderful dogs just waiting for someone to love them. One thing I have learned with all the dogs I have adopted, they never forget who rescued them. I think you would like one.

Rat terriers are high energy dogs, but very sweet & loving. I'd get a pup so that when the new dog comes into the house the other dog could 'mother' it and get used to it before it grows full size.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
    I have a rat terrier, he is a love. I adopted him last year from the humane society. He is old and I knew no one would adopt him, so he came home with me. He is very gentle and sweet. Check out your local animal shelter, they have so many wonderful dogs just waiting for someone to love them. One thing I have learned with all the dogs I have adopted, they never forget who rescued them. I think you would like one.
    That's what I did with the 2 senior minpins in my avatar picture. Max and Zena had always been together and for whatever reason got dumped at a kill shelter. The staff kept them for two months but time was running out. I saw their pictures and thought who else would want them? I LOVE them! :-)
    Laura

I'm going to be a bit more candid. I had a standard male rat terrier, pure bred, averaged 18 lbs. I got him when he was 6 months old to be a companion to my chihuahua mix female. From day one she let him know she was boss and he did everything she told him to do. We named him Jack.

Of all the dogs I've had, he is the one I miss the most. He was smart, funny, had one heck of a personality, and everyone loved him. He gave us 15 years of unconditional love, laughter and companionship.

That being said, I knew nothing about the breed so contacted a gentleman in Georgia who bred standard rats and he sent me a video and recommended a book. Thank goodness.

There is not a chew toy in the WORLD big enough to satisfy a rat (especially a youngster). They are high energy and smart as a tact, and easy to train, but in a heartbeat they will throw all that training out the window to pursue something (I referred to it as getting a bee in his bonnet). They do not react well to anger, loud voices or conflict so when you train them, you must be upbeat when you scold. They are tremendously curious and will stick their nose in your business, as well as everyone elses. They are friendly but if you are threatened, they will protect you. And if they are threatened, they may attack. Our dog was people friendly but very selective about the dogs he would be friendly with.

Now, not all rats are the same I realize, but they do have common characteristics. Do your research. We are a pretty easy going bunch so when Jack ate a recliner down to the wood, we took pictures, grinned and took it in stride (it was an old chair, there was some loose fabric, he tugged at it, it tore, and the rest was history). If I had known more about the breed before I got him, I probably would have passed and it would have definitely been my loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lalaland; 05-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I had my Sammy for 8 yrs. She was the sweetest, most intelligent, loyal dog I have ever owned. I would gladly tell anyone to get a Rat Terrier. They are very loyal and make a great family dog. They are energetic and do need some fun play time to keep them from getting bored. Sammy had her "monkey" toy that made a sound like a monkey and she played with it all the time. Even hiding it from the other 2 dogs in the house. (they get along well with other dogs in the household) I miss her so much. She was my best friend that I could tell my troubles too and she wouldn't gossip or judge me. LOL
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Blog Entries
    To painiacs - when we got our second dog, our trainer recommended that we continue our main attention on our first dog so that the first dog wouldn't punish the second dog for taking her place. When we came in we always acknowledged the older dog first, gave her a treat first. Eventually it all ironed itself out. Now dog 2 rules the nest. They figure it out but we didn't like the baby to have to defend herself against the older larger dog. Babies grow up and the field is leveled.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Smile

We got our rat terrier Goober from a puppy mill. He has been with us for 14 years. In his younger days, he was very active. But as he aged, he has slowed down and sleeps a lot. He is very loyal with a great personality. He has he run of 5 acres but doesn't run away. He follows us everywhere to make sure we are safe. Once he even killed a snake in our yard. He is now completely deaf and has congestive heart failure. We feed him boiled beef liver and this has helped him tremendously. There are days he tries to run like he did in his younger days. This makes him tired and he sleeps the rest of the day. He is the greatest pet we have ever owned (rather he owns us). Can't go wrong with a rat terrier.
    Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2