Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rat Terrier Owners?

Rat Terrier Owners?

My husband has decided he wants to get a Teddy Roosevelt rat terrier. Does anyone have one? What are they really like? We have a 15lb dachshund princess at the moment, and are thinking of getting a second dog.

Blog Entries
    My DH and I have considered getting a rat terrier, one that's about 12-15 pounds, for about 3 years now. We have heard nothing but good things. The price tags are keeping us away. But, they are sweet dogs.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    We had our wonderful rat terrier Madison for seven years...She came down with a genetic eye disease that causes them to go blind....she quit eating and wouldn't go walking or anything...we had to have her put down...last year...so sad without her...They are the most loving and sweet dogs that we have ever had...Now we want to try a Cocker Spaniel...love them too..

Blog Entries
    We have had our Molly for about four years now. She is dedicated to her humans; and fiercely loving. We got her when she was a baby at 6 weeks, at the time I still had my Doberman Alice, whom I had also had since she was six weeks old. When Alice passed at the age of 16 years, Molly mourned for 2 weeks. She wandered the house looking for Alice, crying and carrying the ball that they played with in her mouth. To this day she still has periods when she gets the ball out and carries it around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

What a sweetheart. She misses her Alice. That makes me sad.

These are our baby darlin's Remy on the left and Sadie on right. They are Beagle/Rat Terrier mix litter mates. Remy is deaf so Sadie is his service dog. He is so attuned to her signals unless we tell someone no one realizes he's deaf. In their backyard kingdom here in Florida they are vigilant in terrorizing the squirrel, fruit rat, garter snake and grub populations. Beagles find it and tree or corner it and rat terriers kill it and proudly bring it to you. They are loving and sweet, but very protective of their "family pack". Love our fur babies!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  165.7 KB
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Blog Entries
    I too am thinking of a second dog, worried aboud how 1st dog will accept, shes been queen of house, very devoted ie stuck to me!

My daughter always has several dogs. She feeds them in order of their "seniority" (who came first), and sees that they don't try to usurp authority from others. Usually they kind of find their own pecking order, but if not, she sets one for them and they all get along great.

Blog Entries
    If they're anything like a Jack Russel Terrier, they never stop.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

My grandma had one for years. Good dog, no behavioral issues or aggression. Very loyal. He did have a big fear of storms, but that's not necessarily a breed issue. Kind of reminds me of a chihuahua, but didn't have the fearful aggression that a chihuahua sometimes has. Didn't run off when outside. Someone mentioned a jack russell, but I don't think a rat is anything like that, at least this one wasn't.

I have had two rat terriers, Pennygirl and Nelly both who died of cardiac failure. They were wonderful dogs. Pennygirl came from puppy mill and lived to be 8 and Nelly was a rescue from an abusive home and lived to be 7. I still miss them both. I would not look for a pedigreed rat, but rather one from a decent breeder. They work well in a family situation or with multiple dogs. They will be a companion dog to whom ever they pick. Penny was mine. She stayed at my side through several surgeries. Nellie was my husband's dog and was always one step behind him. I hope you find you new best friend!

I had a Rat Terrier when I was about 10 yrs. old. It was the only dog I ever had in my youth and I am so glad that it was him. He was one good dog, no trouble no quirks, just an all around great dog. He was black and tan.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I have a rat terrier. She is 6 yro. Izzy is my baby she sleeps in her bed that is on the night stand next to my side of the bed. She doesn't like my husband, she barks at him . Rat terriers do shed ALOT !

Blog Entries
    Rat Terriers and Jack Russells are as different as day and night. In my opinion.
    TwandasMom

All terriers require good training and you have to be firm with them. I have a West Highland White Terrier, aka a Westie, Annie is sweet, but can be very stubborn. They also like to dig under fences.
    Sharon W.

Rat terriers and Jack Russells as two different breeds, the rat is shorter and longer with a rounded face.

Sak658 I am so sorry you lost your pet. I have had mine for 7 years also and things are going fine.
    He is smart and most of the time he listens unless he spots a squirrel. He loves to sit on the chair with my DH and have him rub him. He is a good watch dog. Lets you know when someone or thing is around. Just got a new GS and he is happy to see the baby, dropping his squeeky tool by the babies feet.
    Linda J.

Our dog, Bob, is half Jack Russell, and the other half is divided between Rat Terrier and Blue Heeler. He is a very sweet, smart dog. Very bossy with our Cairn Terrier. He "heels" me and our other dog, Duke, everywhere he wants us to go! The antics of these two are endless. We went from 30 years of Labradors. A lot of activity and energy at our house. We were thinking small dogs would be less trouble. Not really... but we love our crazy terriers! Hard to make informed decisions when they are so stinking cute! Do over, would bring us back to Labs. Spend time researching dogs and knowing yourself and your lifestyle! Long term commitment! And enjoy!!!

Darby is a Miniature Rattie -- a rescue. She weighs about 8 lbs. now. She has gone from being confined in a puppy mill as a "breeder" to being a certified "Pet Therapy" dog. We visit nursing homes and schools and she's never been in a lap she doesn't like. Amazing dog. The photo is from her official therapy dog picture ID!

We love our rat terrier -- Rollie

We have had our Teddy Roosevelt Rat Terrier, "Rollie" for the past nine years. We got him at 6 weeks and he is the best dog we have ever had. He is extremely smart, loyal and protective. He is VERY sensitive and gets highly upset when one of our two cats has hairball issues. He whimpers until the kitty problem has been resolved. He dearly loves his "cat-sisters" even though they do not always treat him kindly. He has two favorite toys he plays with and he thinks they are his "babies." He is a great help when we are sick or recovering from surgery--he'll sit next to us and seems to understand we are "under the weather." I've posted a picture of this special little guy. You will not go wrong getting a Teddy Roosevelt Rat Terrier, they are very special little dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    If they're anything like a Jack Russel Terrier, they never stop.
    MaryKatherine
    Not like a Jack Russel except a little in looks. We have been breeding them for 14 years and had many litters, sweetest dogs ever. We have fights once in a while, but I spank offenders, put them in the crates they sleep in and scold them and it doesn't usually happen again. And we have a bunch here in house with us. Ours go from 4 to 20 lbs and our oldest is 14, have a lot of older dogs we will keep until they pass unless we find a great home for them.
    Now that we are 67 and 81 trying to cut down. They make a great pet. I used to have cockers and they have problems and WAY too much hair for me. Dobermans if right breeding I love and had, have two Goldens now, mother and 5 month old daughter. A cat and a horse too. Can't go wrong with a RT.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    All terriers require good training and you have to be firm with them. I have a West Highland White Terrier, aka a Westie, Annie is sweet, but can be very stubborn. They also like to dig under fences.
    Sharon W.
    RT's want to please their people and are not as stubborn by far, as most terriers are. You can raise your voice and you would think you beat them they are so hurt.

Thanks so much to those who posted pictures in this thread! What great dogs! :-)
    Laura

Red face

Thank you to all who replied and posted pictures. The rat terriers do seem sweet! There do not seem to be any breeders around us (outside Philadelphia) but did see one on-line in FL (not you Carol34446 - do you still breed?). We are going to be in FL this summer, so maybe we will decide to swing by!

Again, thanks to all.

Power Poster
    i have a jack russell a very hyper=active dog loves a soccer ball
    QUILTNMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast