Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: read a good book lately?

Blog Entries
    Trying to finish up the HOUSE OF NIGHT series-----fun stuff. Also reading Jane Eyre. If you like real stuff---Sister(s) of Silence by Daleen Berry about her years of abuse by first hubby. Water for Elephants the best read in a very long time.

Hoping to get a book this week from library on American Indian legends.

Blog Entries
    I recently read a couple of really, really good ones, but the authors names are on my Nook, which is not with me:

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - about two young kids in SF - one Chinese and one Japanese, and the problems they had being friends at the beginning of WW2 and how they reconnected later in their lives.

The Angel of Death Row - non-fiction, but reads like fiction. True story of the first female public defender in Chicago

Same Kind of Different as Me - truly the best book I've read since "The Help". About a poor black man and a wealthy white couple in the south, and how they connected. Awesome read.

Cane River - even BETTER than the help. Follows a black family through the slavery days. It is truly one of the best books I've ever read in my life.

Thanks for all the suggestions, my Kindle will be busy this summer.

Without a Trace by Colleen Coble - very good drama and thriller

Quilts from Heaven by Lucinda Secrest McDowell-partnership of fabric and faith and the quilt designs. Lovely book.

Anything by Alexander McCall Smith. He writes series, i.e. The no 1 Ladies Detective Agency, 44 Scotland St and Isabel Delhousie. All are great.

Blog Entries
    Trail of thread, (a womans westward journey) Stitch of Courage, (a womans fight for freedom) & thimble of soil, (a womans quest for land) all written by Linda K. Hubalek, they are historical letters from 1854 to 1860 moving from KY to Mo. & from Ohio to Kansas. really gives yo9u the feel of what it was like for a woman back then. good fast read for all 3

Rainwater by Sandra Brown is an awesome read. I'm told it is much different than her "thriller" books.

I just finished CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO HEAVEN by Fanny Flagg. I couldn't put the book down. It was even better than her FRIED GREEN TOMATOES.

I'm reading the Mitford Series, not sure which book right now. But they are great reading, I have the cookbook too.
    Anyone remember the ice cream that our mother's and grandmother's used to make in the aluminum ice trays, they left the lever section out. The recipe is in there.

But I have a suggestion for a child's book, a friend of mine wrote it. I gave one to nephews this past Christmas, one was 6 and the other 8. The older one was reading it to the younger one.

http://www.olebluetales.com/about_ole_blue.html

"Water for Elephants" is awesome. It's already been made into a movie ~ but it was a really good read! Romance, intrigue, and yet heart warming and can't-put-it-downable. Starts off a little slow, but give it a chance ~ well worth the effort.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glorcour
    I am reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova. This is a novel about a Harvard professor who becomes an Alzheimer victim at about age 50. The story looks at the stages of this disease and its effects on the person and family and how they cope. This is pertinent to many of us who have a family member stricken with this disease. This book is the winner of the 2008 Bronte Prize.

Gloria in Toronto
    We read this one for Book Club last year and everyone said it was a wonderful but scary read. We all felt that every time we forgot where something was or someone's name, that it was the start of our slide down that slippery slope.

That being said, it was a wonderful book, generated a lot of discussion, and well worth the read. I would recommend it highly.

Quote Originally Posted by SoozeeDoozee
    Rainwater by Sandra Brown is an awesome read. I'm told it is much different than her "thriller" books.
    yes this was a very good book.......

I read The Help. One of the best I've EVER read!!!, Water for Elephants, is good! and all Mary Kay Andrews books. Mary Kay writes southern fiction. Very entertaining easy reads. ALso, The Saving of Cee Cee Honeycutt is a very entertaining easy read.

From MN, living full time in our Motor Home
    I just finished "Heaven is for Real". I can't remember the first name of the author but the last is Bepbo. It is the story of his son who spent time in heaven. It is awesome!

From MN, living full time in our Motor Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Needles
    I'm reading the Mitford Series, not sure which book right now. But they are great reading, I have the cookbook too.
    Anyone remember the ice cream that our mother's and grandmother's used to make in the aluminum ice trays, they left the lever section out. The recipe is in there.

But I have a suggestion for a child's book, a friend of mine wrote it. I gave one to nephews this past Christmas, one was 6 and the other 8. The older one was reading it to the younger one.
    Love, love, love the Mitford Series!
    http://www.olebluetales.com/about_ole_blue.html

I am reading "The Help now. Just about finished. I also love to read Nicholas Sparks books, Last one I read was "Dear John". I live in NC and Sparks books are about areas in NC so often I know of the place the story takes place.

Glad to know about Sparks books Pinklady. Now I want to read him. I've spent quite a bit of time in Charlotte with family.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    If you are looking for a "cozy" read, try the Ladies of Covington series by Joan Medlicott (sp?). There are 4 older ladies who are the main characters, all from different walks of life who decide to share a house in Covington, NC. It is similar to the Midford series.

Also try the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross - feisty Texas widow who takes in her late husband's mistress and his/her son. Fun stories!

I don't read fiction but am currently reading Purpose-Drive Life and just LOVE it!!!

Now, that one I will look for. Hits close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by JudithAnn
    I just finished "Heaven is for Real". I can't remember the first name of the author but the last is Bepbo. It is the story of his son who spent time in heaven. It is awesome!

I just started "Heaven Is Real" last night and finished it this morning. Wow! It's a VERY good book! 4 yr old had a death experience and came back. Over the next several years he gave snippets of his time in Heaven to his family. A must read!

Diannia

All the George R R Martin Song of Ice and Fire books are amazing . I can't put them down. Martin is an author that likes to surprise his reader.

I love Sandra Dallas's books. Have read all of them

I am now reading Grand Opening by John Hassler. It's about a family who buys a run down grocery store in the 1940's. It's a really good read.

Anything by Lisa Gardner.

I recently finished "The Dirty Parts of the Bible". It had a feel of O Brother Where Art Thou. The main character "rides the rails" and it was a nice quick read.

Who actually has time for much reading when quilting is so much more fun!! ;-)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast