Remember Diaper Pins?

Old 11-11-2023, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Hi, Endora -

Now I remember you - long time no posting -

Sure with I could get my hands on some of those Curity long gauze diapers - at a price I am willing to pay. They make the very best dishtowels.

Never liked the prefolded ones. Or the flannel ones. Or whatever that other fabric was.

DH did a much better job of putting the diapers on to stay without sliding down off the baby than I ever could.

I remember the plastic - not actual rubber - pants that we put on over the diapers.

I bemoan the amount of trash that disposable diapers create. And then I realize i am now contributing to that waste. Sigh.

I still find large safety pins to be useful items.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:56 AM

Greetings, Bearisgray!

Yes, long time no post (or chat)!

So nice to know you're still here!

I'm with you on traditional fold-and-pin diapers, never cared for the prefold variety either, and as for the waterproof pants, the ones I used were plastic as well, though I always referred to them as rubber pants.

Like yourself, the disposable world we live in today is so defeating.

Saved my kids diaper pins in my notions basket, and still use them today for odd things!

P.S. I laugh at the thought of babysitters today having to deal with old-fashioned cloth diapers!

Last edited by Endora; 11-11-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:09 AM

And, almost forgot, I remember how I used to hold open diaper pins between my pursed lips when changing a diaper!
Old 11-11-2023, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by lberna View Post
Oh my gosh. What a walk down memory lane. I still have a couple of them. How about rubber pants. I used to buy Gerber rubber pants because I could get them at my grocery store.
I still remember and can hear that distinct plastic-rustling sound the rubber pants made when changing a diaper, and I even remember the ammonia smell they carried even when clean, and no amount of washing got the pink staining out from around the elastic leg-holes!
Old 11-11-2023, 03:07 PM

Wow, i'm old and never heard the hair thing. but then my Mother never told me anything. I learned by doing I"m afraid. I did have a diaper service for awhile. Good thing too, no washing machine in our apartment!
Old 11-11-2023, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I used to keep my babies' diaper pins in a bar of soap. Same idea. Cloth diapers and hung them on a clothesline. This was in 1967
Old 11-11-2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Wow, i'm old and never heard the hair thing. but then my Mother never told me anything. I learned by doing I"m afraid. I did have a diaper service for awhile. Good thing too, no washing machine in our apartment!
I remember diaper service. We had it until the late 80's. Never used it though, always did old-fashioned home-laundered diapers.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I used to keep my babies' diaper pins in a bar of soap. Same idea. Cloth diapers and hung them on a clothesline. This was in 1967
I remember the bar of soap method from babysitting.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:41 PM

Keeping the moisture resitant wrapper over the soap helped contain soap fragments inside, because the pins would slowly start breaking up the surface of the bar soap.

Last edited by Endora; 11-11-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:36 AM

I used disposables, but I covered them in "Ruffle-butt panties". Those underwares that had the ruffles!-Both girls!
Old 11-15-2023, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I used disposables, but I covered them in "Ruffle-butt panties". Those underwares that had the ruffles!-Both girls!
I remember those cute little ruffled dress-up numbers!

Thank you for the walk down memory lane!