Remember Diaper Pins?

Old 11-17-2023, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Thats just what I did!
Yes, me, too, though running the pins through my hair was my favoured method.

I used them too. For first one only the white ones were available. Then for Sweet Son who died in 2020, we had the blue ones. He was slow to potty train but was a good talker. He would say "I pooped and I want the duck diaper pins and a blue liner" and I would say "if you can say all that why can't you tell me before?" And he said "when we move to our new house I will use the toilet". We were due to move soon. And as soon as we moved he said "now I will use the toilet" and he was potty trained from then. He was almost 3.
I am so sorry to hear of your sons passing, Stitchnripper.

OMG, OMG, OMG... your story of your son being able to vocalize what he did to you is amazing!!!

One of my sons would pull at and snap the front elastic waistband of his rubber pants when he was wet or needed to be changed, so I'd say to him, go get mommy a diaper and I'll change you, and so he'd race off to the baby room and arrive back in the kitchen with a pair of rubber pants in hand, and in an excited and loud voice he'd say... "pop-a-pants, mommy, pop-a-pants"! Cutest thing ever.

I'm convinced he got the name "pop-a-pants" from me allowing him to hold the diaper pins at change-time, then as I needed a pin I'd say to him, okay, pass mommy a pin, and he'd pass me a pin, so he must have put one-and-one together that mommy uses pins to put on his pants, so I'm guessing he automatically thought mommy is popping his pants with the pins, so rubber pants were "pop-a-pants".
Old 11-17-2023, 03:39 PM

I used them too. For first one only the white ones were available. Then for Sweet Son who died in 2020, we had the blue ones. He was slow to potty train but was a good talker. He would say "I pooped and I want the duck diaper pins and a blue liner" and I would say "if you can say all that why can't you tell me before?" And he said "when we move to our new house I will use the toilet". We were due to move soon. And as soon as we moved he said "now I will use the toilet" and he was potty trained from then. He was almost 3.
Alyce, did your son toilet train completely at age 3 (day and night)?

Nighttime diapers lasted for what seemed like forever with two of my kids! Triple diapers with rubber pants, and they'd wake each and every morning absolutely drenched! Soaked right to the diaper pins!

They looked like they were wearing fishbowls!

Last edited by Endora; 11-17-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:26 PM

Reading through the many wonderful posts, old memories are resurfacing, like how I used to hold the open diaper pins between my pursed lips at change-time!

No fumbling for loose pins set down carelessly on the crib mattress where baby could reach them, just pluck a ready diaper pin from my mouth and fasten the diaper!

Made for quick and efficient diapering!

And how I used to drape the rubber pants over the crib railing when changing a diaper!

I'll never forget how my kids used to waddle like penguins/ducks, because their diapers were so bulky!

Oh, and... the unmistakable plastic rustling sound of those rubber pants! Swish, swish, swish... the pants would sound with their every step!

Long-standing joke I used to tell everyone... I always knew where my kids were in the house by the plasticy rustling sound of their rubber pants! I could hear them coming from a mile away!

Last edited by Endora; 11-17-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:52 PM

Question to all QuiltingBoard cloth diaperers of the past...

Did anyone ever lose a diaper (flush one) when toilet swishing/dunking/rinsing a poo-poo diaper?

I flushed two in my day! One at home rinsing out one of my own children's diapers, and another at my SIL's, when babysitting at her house! Lucked out both times, no toilet clogging! Both diapers went straight down!

Nieces and nephews all wore cloth diapers and rubber pants!
Old 11-19-2023, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Did not enjoy rinsing the poopy ones out in the toilet.

I do remember those days. yuck.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Did not enjoy rinsing the poopy ones out in the toilet.

I do remember those days. yuck.
Neither me!

I recall all the kerfuffle that would arise when I had a poo-poo diaper soaking in the toilet and one of the older kids would go into the bathroom to use the toilet, only to find a waiting lumpy diaper in the toilet bowl.

MOM... they'd call out! Into the bathroom I'd dash to clear the toilet bowl for them!

Speaking of the old days... my SIL was going down her basement stairs one early morning with a full diaper pail in tow and she tripped. When the diaper pail hit the basement floor, the lid popped open spilling out the entire pail full of wet and dirty diapers. Dear SIL didn't get hurt, but what a mess she had to clean up.

My youngest would have been around 15 months at the time when he came up with the brainy idea to store a few of his toys in the nursery room diaper pail which stood at the foot of his crib. Silly little boy. The things kids do.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I asked in Target store baby section yesterday if they had diaper pins and had to explain to the clerk what they were No they don't.
I'll try joanns. The leg zipper on Rob's heavy duty coveralls is broke and I could only find one pin here strong enough to go through the material but I don't think it will last out the coverall life... So I'll keep looking for diaper pins!
Check ETSY.

You'll be able to garner quality vintage diaper pins.

Today's pins aren't worth wasting ones time on unless you can find the Dritz brand with the snap-locking plastic safety caps.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I asked in Target store baby section yesterday if they had diaper pins and had to explain to the clerk what they were No they don't.
I'll try joanns. The leg zipper on Rob's heavy duty coveralls is broke and I could only find one pin here strong enough to go through the material but I don't think it will last out the coverall life... So I'll keep looking for diaper pins!
Better yet, if you can find any of these pins, buy them!

These are what I used on my kids back in the day and they were the sharpest pins I used and made really well.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:02 AM

This thread reminded me of snap-on rubber pants!

How I loathed having to fuss with snap-on rubber pants at change-time! If it weren't already involved enough with the folding and pinning of cloth diapers, snap-on rubber pants added to the mix.

Thankfully 99% of the moms I babysat for used pull-on rubber pants! Made for speedy changes, fit better, and no fussing with snaps!

Snap-on rubber pants did have their place though... they were good for when baby had a diaper rash.

Last edited by Endora; 11-19-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 11:38 AM

Just remembered another oldie... an aunt used to add orange peels to my baby cousins diaper pail to help with odour.

I used baking soda, and also remember adding a little Diaper Pure in the pails to help keep odour down.

Had two diaper pails on the go back in the day, one for wet-wets which was kept in the nursery, and the other pail for dirties which was kept in the bathroom.