remember when.......

Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
I remember when my father would pile all the snow in the front yard making a "mountain" of snow and my brothers and I would jump into it from the porch railing. FUN !!! Does anyone remember "ration coupons that came in books ". One for milk, one for potatos, one for sugar, etc. Must have been around 1944 or 1945......wooden sleds.....quart glass milk bottles...we got McAdams milk. or the "pony boy" ice cream wagon....got many a splinter from the wood on back of the wagon.
I remember my parents telling me about the rations books. I remember having to shop at certain stores where they gave "green stamps" as a promotion. They could be redemed for usefull household items.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
i remember staying out late when it was dark & catching those fireflies in a jar! and sitting on the porch swing just listenin' to the wind blow the leaves together in those big ol' maple trees......
I remember actually sleeping in our porch swing one night because it was so hot in the upstairs bedrooms.I think I was about 12 or 13......

Ditter
I think about doing that all the time...
Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Do you remember the first "remote controls" the cables that ran from the TVs/VCRs across the floor :lol: Of course before that "us kids" were the remote ! LOL

I still have a TV that has the "clicker " knob :wink: works great but won't hook up to cable
That's I was thinking!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Gosh yes, I remember those days too. When in junior high and high school you wore skirts or dresses and you had to wear socks or stockings! I walked to junior high, it was nearly two miles as we didn't fit the mileage for a bus.

I remember getting my first pair of stockings in 8th grade and could wear them to church only! And yes dresses/skirts were the dress for church always!

Going out on a date was a big thing, what to wear, how to fix hair, nails polished and perfume (toilet water really )

Those were the good ole days!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM

I remember green stamp books and yellow stamp books.. got the stamps from grocery shopping and then turned the books in when full to buy something with them! was a great bargin back then!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 AM

Does anyone remember "ration coupons that came in books ". One for milk, one for potatos, one for sugar, etc. Must have been around 1944 or 1945......[/quote]

When my mother passed away in 1985 we found some of those ration books tucked back in a corner of her bureau.