remember when.......

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Rhonda, I LOVE Wolfman Jack!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

WOW!! I do remember out houses and screen doors and playing outside way after dark with oodles of neighborhood kids and growing up with music all around!! I had a swing in a huge oak tree, I made mud pies (and ate some!!) We got one of those AWFUL silver trees and the whole family revolted til Daddy got us another real tree! I remember my Mom asking us kids in September to start making a list for Christmas gifts we wanted. With 7 kids she and Dadddy had to plan ahead. I got a "walking doll" dishes, a nurses kit and a cowboy rig one year!! I have had kids ask me Where do the batteries go? and What does this do? when they see some old fashioned toys . I always tell them there were no batteries and the toy would do anything you imagined it would do!! My own kids always want to hear stories about when I was young (when dinosaurs roamed the earth!!) When I was 7 and 8 years old my dad would take me to my grand mothers house to spend Saturday. She was totally blind, heated her house with an open coal fire and lived in town. I was completely safe because I was raised to respect my grand mother . I asked if I could go ANYWHERE and if I was just gonna play in her yard I knew to let her know that and to come in every so often just to remind her so she would not worry about me!!! I walked to the store played in the woods, and walked home from friends house at 11 as a teenager and was safe!! I could go on and on(and already have) Today is an entirely different world!!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
WE had to always wear dresses too. ( This was the late 60's early 70's and they and to touch the floor when you got on your knees) but we had ugly blue gym uniforms we had to wear!
Gosh I wanted so bad to wear pants in the winter!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Alu_Rathbone,
I'm proud of you for getting your GED. I was 33 yrs. old when I got mine but I was fortunate enough to get a good job at 23, where I worked for almost 20 years and also got a couple promotions.
My suggestion would be to write your congressmen and tell them what you've told us. They need to hear your story and those like yours.
Education needs to change. Students need to be taught according to how they learn, it's not a one size fits all. And without a smaller student to teacher ratio it's not going to happen. I can't imagine being a teacher in this day and age, or a student for that matter.
You would make a wonderful teacher having experienced what you have. I hope you are able to follow your dreams and make them come true.
~Deb~
Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Diana
For those of you looking for memories that are in my age group.....remembering 50's/60's/70's Music Era.......I lost my favorite oldies station last week to talk radio...then I worked a shop hop at my local quilt shop and they had a great oldies station playing on their computer.....it is great! I log in to it then open up my browser to come here and other places......get to listen to the energizing music. cruisinoldiesradio.com
Enjoy.
Diana in Tx
Thank you for sharing that website. I LOVE it!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Deb G
Alu_Rathbone,
I'm proud of you for getting your GED. I was 33 yrs. old when I got mine but I was fortunate enough to get a good job at 23, where I worked for almost 20 years and also got a couple promotions.
My suggestion would be to write your congressmen and tell them what you've told us. They need to hear your story and those like yours.
Education needs to change. Students need to be taught according to how they learn, it's not a one size fits all. And without a smaller student to teacher ratio it's not going to happen. I can't imagine being a teacher in this day and age, or a student for that matter.
You would make a wonderful teacher having experienced what you have. I hope you are able to follow your dreams and make them come true.
~Deb~
That is something that everyone is trying to change around here, is the classroom size... My brother in laws sister is a bilingual teacher in Chicago, and they are laying on teachers... it's a state wide problem though. We have a campaign going on about it... I went to school with our Town Presidents kids (same as mayor) and he did what he could. I know the year before I left they had started replacing text books, by order of the state. But they still use the old ones since they didn't get enough books... which is sad. More and more parents are getting upset, and the schools drop out rate is at an all time high.

As soon as I found out I recieved my GED I started to apply to college, for me its a priority! lol

I remember when my mom married my step dad Jorge, and we had the wedding reception in our small yard. It was a great party.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM

Sure do remember most of the things mentioned here, such as Kukla, Fran and Ollie on TV. The TV screen was round. and yes, I also remember the plastic sheet used over the screen. Sometimes the sky was green and the grass was brown but it was exciting. Does anyone remember tablecloths on the kitchen table ? Does anyone still iron ? I think the floodgates have been opened. Nice to dream about our childhood once in awhile.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

yep things have sure changed. God bless. Penny
Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
dsj

I was born in the 60's and never did I ever feel stressed, ashamed or without, growing up. Life was fun. We always went on family vacations, watched lots of television together, my dad would take my sister and I to the drive-in and we would watch all the Planet of the Ape movies together. We were even allowed to ride in the trunk of the car to the grocery store. My dad was the coolest dad around everyone loved him he was really fun. I so miss those days. I hate that our children haven't been able to experience the life that we had. So much has changed. Sad isn't it?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:20 AM

very sad....what i am so sorry about is the fact that i never spent more time with my 4 grandparents. they had so much to teach us young people. i have a snapshot of my mother in her gymsuit, hilarius. she was born in 1916. fancy that !a lot of people never knew their grands. my husband for one. didn't even remember much about his father who passed at an early age. my husband was 6 yrs. at the time. he was one of 12 children. we were married in 1955 when life was so different. didn't appreciate that at the time. bye for now, lots to do today. boiling water for one thing. a ten foot water pipe burst about 10miles from here and now the water is contaminated...the same time we had our first really hot day and i had company for a BBQ. it is what it is !!