Rescue...Before my Coffee!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Good of you to take care of it. I saw a couple of turtles last week. I don't know what kind they were. They were walking along.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 PM

You are a kind soul. I'm sure Mrs (or Mr.) Turtle appreciated being relocated.

I had the same thought when I saw the last photo: looks like a great art quilt!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:02 PM

When I was a little girl living in KS there was a little old lady that was deathly afraid of turtles so whenever one would wander into her yard she would call the police. My dad was her hero because one time he came along before the police were called and removed it for her.
She would consider you a very brave soul for taking a turtle away. It was a very good deed that you have done.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 PM

Kudos for taking it to a safe place. That was quite a chore hauling it that far.

They go away from water to a dry area to lay their eggs. They don't always pick the best spot. Sadly due to lack of natural nesting areas they have become endangered in many areas.

We were heading home one afternoon & there was a large snapping turtle on the road. It had climbed up a steep bank from the creek & was heading to the corn field across the street to lay eggs. We turned around & went back to see if we could get it off the road. Cars & large dump trucks loaded with stone were zooming by it. Then a school bus went over it. It jumped up & got injured just above it's tail, but not too serious. We stopped traffic & finally my husband was able to push it off the road & down the bank into the water. He figured it needed the water to help stop the bleeding. The turtle tried to bite him many times & thanks to his leather boots that was avoided. Hopefully it chose a different place to lay it's eggs.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:34 AM

I have a friend that I worked with for years. She has a large dog (Dobie) who brings turtles to her in his mouth...last year he collected over 20 different ones. She paints a number on their shell with an acrylic paint so they can keep track of them and then releases then again. This year he's up to something like 14 already!!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:03 AM

We have spotted two different turtles in our yard in the last few days. Rather large ones too, but not sure if they were snappers. They were walking fast.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:10 AM

We've seen several by the roads, and driveways. If we can't stop we always go around them!!! Good thing you have a snow shovel!! Maybe when I'm in Iowa I should buy one for here in Florida.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:26 AM

The determination of motherhood! Bless you... now you are the godmother of her brood!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
...... She paints a number on their shell with an acrylic paint so they can keep track of them and then releases then again. This year he's up to something like 14 already!!
So the question that begs to be asked .... does he retrieve the same one more than once?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Kudos to you-very kind and caring thing to do. Hopefully she is where she belongs to possibly lay her eggs. I would have never thought of a snow shovel to move a turtle!!! Thank you Mr. Google.