Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired---What Is Your Day Like? >

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM

I so much long for the day when I can retire....I find myself tearing up every morning at 5am when I have to get up and drive 40 miles to a job I'm so tired of doing.....I am eligible for retirement but I don't think it's the best time to retire....not until my car is paid for and a couple more cc bills....then maybe. I wish my co would pay me to leave...and then I'd be out the door in a flash...no looking back. I have so much life to live ahead of me and I feel like my job is holding me back!!!! ugghhh....>
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 AM

I just found out, after 8 1/2 years, the project I have been working on is ending, so I will be joining the ranks of retirement.

It's great reading everyone's activities, because I am concerned that I will become bored at home. It's encouraging reading everyone's remarks.

DH announced his retirement this coming June, and he is ecstatic I am joining him. He wants to travel in our motorhome.

I have many quilting projects to work on, and I am excited about getting them done. I figure if I get bored, I can always get a part time job or volunteer.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:32 PM

I have been reading this thread with interest - the company I work for is off shoring our manufacturing jobs, so I will likely be 'resourced' within the first 3 months of 2014. I really like my job, but they have made the last year kinda miserable so I think it will be a relief when it finally happens. My husband also works at the same company, so from being fully employed to both of us totally unemployed will be a bit of a shock - we are nearing retirement age, but have always lived our lives like we would be unemployed at some point so I think we've planned ahead well. I certainly won't miss getting up at 4:45 am every day, driving 18 miles in snow/ice/fog, working late, working weekends and holidays to meet some upper managements 'goal' and general big business crap. The thought of having all day to devote to a project really excites me! But - I always do better with a time frame or deadline; I can see myself thinking - well I can do this tomorrow, or tomorrow...and not getting anything done. Do any of you 'experienced' retirees have to set deadlines or parameters for yourselves??
Old 12-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Stitch124, I feel you all the way! I waffled around figuring out finances before making a decision. The last year, I was doing a countdown to the day I was out of there. I have to tell you, though, that was the longest year ever. I seriously wanted out. But I made it and what a relief. I thought it would take a while to adjust to being retired but, nope, I settled into retirement as if I were born to it. Now I get up whenever, do whatever when I feel like it and feel pretty darned lucky to be in this position. So, set yourself a date, doesn't even have to be exact, and know that you are getting closer every day.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM

The definition of retirement is 'the first time in your life that you are free to live on your own schedule, do exactly what you want or do nothing at all'.

Can you tell I love being retired?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 AM

I could hardly wait to retire - and it's the worst thing I've ever done. I still get up at the same early hour and there is plenty for me to do, since everyone thinks I have a lot of free time and they manage to try toofill it up for me. I am exhausted by bedtime. Of course, part of it is having DH at home with bad health and no interest in doing the things he used to do and won't try anything new - just content to eat, watch sports & news on TV all day long and taking naps - not interested in vacations any more, either like we used to do at the drop of a hat. Don't get me wrong. I want to do all I can when he needs me and I do get out once a month to quilt with friends, but just dread the idea of having the same routine every day. I wish I could find a part time job - but they go to the young ones.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM

I also realized pretty quickly that retirement is a full time job with no pay!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Retired in Aug. and I usually don't roll out of bed until 9ish. Love to stay up late and watch the old movies. Right now most of my time is getting things ready for Christmas but when the weather warms again, I'll be spending most of my time on my Kayak. I love retirement!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 PM

I've been retired almost 2 years. At least once a day I think about how I love to be home! I like to work around the house every morning, then spend time sewing in the afternoon. Then I have days like today - out of the house by 9 to take Mom to the Dr., then take her to lunch. Go to grandchild's Christmas program, then take him for treats and then get home about 4:30. Yesterday I finished up my Christmas shopping -- I get to spend the next 3-5 days at home -- Yippee! I like to bake one day a week, cook one day a week (and freeze meals). I have even enjoyed cleaning my house. Go to guild work day one day a week. Have lunch with friends at least once a week. I don't have time to work anymore!! I love retired life!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I so much long for the day when I can retire....I find myself tearing up every morning at 5am when I have to get up and drive 40 miles to a job I'm so tired of doing.....I am eligible for retirement but I don't think it's the best time to retire....not until my car is paid for and a couple more cc bills....then maybe. I wish my co would pay me to leave...and then I'd be out the door in a flash...no looking back. I have so much life to live ahead of me and I feel like my job is holding me back!!!! ugghhh....>
You sound like me. However, I won't be eligible for another 2 1/2 years and then not sure if I can afford it. At this point, I'll be working forever.