Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired---What Is Your Day Like? >

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM

I retired in September, I was afraid of being bored staying home, but I am so busy now the days are flying by. I joined fitness classes at the Senior Citizens Center, and I joined quilting, craft groups, I go to lunch with my neighbors/friends, take daily walks, cleaned the kitchen cabinet (sorely needed) and shelves etc. etc.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Hi Ellie girl, Well when I retired I got into voluntery work.After that got too much I started to teach patchwork and quilting for our local U.3.A. Finished up with twentyfour + ladies.It was wonderful to pass on, and learn new skills.Then it was a few friends in my home for the next several years. Now having moved to be near our son and family I have joined a craft group and continue to make and share. I now find it is hard to put in the hours due to spinal problems but still love life and seeing friends and family.We have just found a new church in the area -- so life goes on,more new contacts to enjoy.One thing for sure, the days pass sooo quickly as we get older, we need to make sure each hour counts for something. Love Letty
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks for doing this subject. I enjoyed reading all the days activities for each of you.
Retirement is wonderful for me too.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Boy after getting up too early on too little sleep for many years----up when I wake up. I love to just lie in the bed and enjoy the fact that I do not need to use an alarm anymore. Coffee, breakfast, a little news and then clean up kitchen. Hubby and I fit in a walk everyday. Somedays grocery store or other shopping. Lunch then fun begins-----I work on quilts or other projects or read until dinner. I love making enough for leftovers so I do not have to cook everyday. In the summer I spend a lot of time in the garden or in the kitchen putting up the fruits of our labors. We often go to visit our daughters or grand daughters. After dinner I hand quilt and we watch TV if there is anything we enjoy.

I too am a retired nurse that spend many years in Home Care and management until company closed then did case management in the WC world and I honestly do not miss one thing about being a nurse. I honestly do not miss not being around people all day long either. I am content to spend time with my hubby of 45 years many of which we worked opposite shifts and just met like ships in the night. So it is just nice to spend quiet time with him at last.

Regardless of what the day brings, never a free or boring moment and have been retired for four years.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 AM

I'm retired from teaching first grade a year and a half ago. I love retirement! Still get up early- 5:30 or so. Sit around in my pjs drinking coffee, watching news, reading email, QB, etc. Usually quilt a while. Go to fitness class 3 days a week. Go to lunch with friends some. After lunch I read until my nap calls. Then maybe quilt or read some more until time to cook dinner. At least once a week I roam/ shop. DH and I like to take weekend ( or longer) trips to sight see, hike, EAT, etc. He is retiring in a week and a half, so I guess we'll be doing more traveling soon.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I'm on disability, so I guess i'm retired. I sleep late, because I don't sleep at night at all. I sleep off and on, usually up due to pain in my back. I play with the kitty, do wash, sew, on the computer, in the summer go to the pool, go to the library, doc appts and such. cook dinner for my dh when he gets home. Friday night is date night, get dressed up for dh go on a date. dinner and a movie. hang out with mil and play mah jongg on fri afternoons.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Retirement is great. Get up when want, go to bed when want, shop, sew, clean, stay out of hubby's way because he is in a decluttering mood. I am so happy just staying home and doing my think. Need to start thinking about spending some time in exercising but not sure how to fit it in.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 AM

I retired in August and LOVE IT. Like others, I get up when I want - usually by 7:30, spend some time answering e-mails and reading QB while having my coffee. Most mornings I do a little cleaning and then hit my studio - do a little sewing until I have my lunch and then back to my studio until dinner time. I am fortunate that my DH does all the cooking. After I was retired a month or so I had a friend ask if I was bored. Who has time to get bored. I just laughed. Even though it is only December, I am looking forward to Spring when I can get outside more for walks. I don't enjoy walking when it is -8 outside! DH will retire from his PT job in a week and then we plan on traveling more. Life is Good!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:54 AM

I was a very busy person before I retired, and I am no less busy now. If I'm not up and moving by 5:30 am, I feel I am behind. I sing in three choirs, I belong to a hiking club and take cardio exercise classes, I'm still involved in 4-H, and I am in the Master Gardener program. I volunteer at church as well. This season I just finished baking a whole lot of cookies and the house has been decorated for Christmas since before Thanksgiving (since we had to be out of town). Of course I have been quilting and knitting up a frenzy. I also run back and forth to St. Paul, MN because our 'kids' live there. It's a nice peaceful 4-1/2 hour drive. I loved my job and I now love my retirement.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 AM

I'm not retired yet but I can hardly wait to find out how I spend my days!! One thing for certain, I don't plan to be bored.