retirement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM

My husband took early retirement because of lay off at work. No jobs available for 62 yr old man. That's ok ..if decision between my husband or young man with family, I am glad my husband had to go.Don't know how these young folks make it nowadays..anyway, house paid off, credit cards paid off. At our age, we realize that material things are not necessarily needed. Wanted maybe.. but not needed. All of our needs have been met. I thank God everyday for his goodness and mercy to us. We have certainly been blessed.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:31 AM

I have been retired for almost 7 years and love it. I too was worried about $$ but it all worked out. I now bring in less money but have found out it takes less when you do not have to get out everyday. I retired to 'stay home' and thats what I do for the most part. I have a world of things to keep me busy right here at home with house, yard and sewing. Ah yes, and sleeping. I am a widow and before I retired got all credit cards paid off, home is paid for and now I recently got my car paid for so it takes far less money to live then when I was working. Retirement is wonderful, will be 68 next month.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the advise now I have to find medical insurance I can afford and just do it.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM

When we were 46 and 42 I took a buyout (1 yrs salary) and DH took a short pension. 3 yrs later, we realized that I was disabled and fought for SSDI and got it. We've lived off that until DH turned 62 and then he got Soc Sec. We get raises on that, altho somehow now the last 2 yrs with all the inflation we haven't gotten a raise. I think SS will be there for us as we get older, maybe not quite as much money as we get now, but who knows?

We *do* have a financial planner and we meet with them every 2 yrs when they redo the $ for us. I don't do a huge budget, I take all our withdrawals from our checking acct annually and so know what we spend. We did a big time down sizing, moved to a paid for 2 br condo in Atlanta from a 3 BR house South of Boston. I was working to pay the mortgage and we knew we didn't need that big of a house.

I do think you ought to see how little you can spend for a set period of of time whatever makes you feel comfortable. We always buy used, but good cars for cash. I buy most of my fabric on sale or at thrift stores or yard sales. I felt that was the only way I'd be comfortable quilting. I bought my machine second hand, but it's a nice Bernina with a lot of feet.

We're very lucky that we get good medical as part of DH's pension, but now we are both eligible for Medicare. That is so critical, don't go out until you get this figured out, I'd be very worried if we didn't have great medical!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM

DH needed to retire early, his job was too stressful and it was taking its toll on is health, and he worried about the money as well. We got a financial advisor and that really helped, he's been retired 5 years now and we're doing fine. We spend considerably less money than we used to anyway, don't need much in our old age.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Don't forget about eating too :thumbup:
Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM

I have been retired for four years now. That meant I could do anything I wanted to each day. That was okay for some time, but I finally had to reorganize myself and put some structure back in my life. Now I have certain things I do on certain days. Mondays are my no-structure days (nothing planned), Tuesdays (shopping), Wed (volunteer at food pantry), Thurs (DH day), Friday (volunteer/grocery shopping), Sat (yard work).

We do most of what we want to, we do live simply, travel a little and just enjoy life.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

you may want to work part time to pay for your sewing habit!!!