retirement

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM

I am 64 single and worried sick about when and how I can retire. How do you know you have enough money and things to do of interest? Thanks. I do not want to work any more . I just want to sew and sleep.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by marigold
I am 64 single and worried sick about when and how I can retire. How do you know you have enough money and things to do of interest? Thanks. I do not want to work any more . I just want to sew and sleep.
Do not worry yourself sick; just get practical (smile). I have gone through this so I know of what I speak!! Things of interest are entirely up to you. There is a whole world out there of things so explore any and everything. Talk with you financial advisor about your funds whatever they may be. There are great sites that have wonderful worksheets to help you look at what money will come in and how much will go out (unless, of course, you go crazy and spend it all - smile). PM if you want to talk.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Single or married we all have the same fears about having enough $'s but somehow we get by. I try to buy all my quilt fabrics on my spring trip to Lancaster, go there with a list of what a really need and keep my eye out of background, backing and batting prices.

Friend recently retired, she had worked 2 jobs, and now finds that she has too much time on her hands, that's something we quilters never have as we never have enough time to make all the quilts we have in our heads. May in Jersey
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM

I retired at age 56. Prior to retiring, about 3 yrs before, I made sure that all credit cards were paid off. I purchased any big item, while I was working. I replaced washer dryer and fridge. Car was in good condition. You just need to preplan. I had accumulated fabric and it keeps me pretty busy. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Have you talked to a financial advisor - they should be able to give you an indication of what you need to retire. A lot depends on your lifestyle and the cost of living where you are.

I am single, self-employed and made a major cut in the work I took on at 64. Still work a little but the peace of mind I now have is worth watching what I spend now.

I never don't have enough to keep me occupied now, of course I still do a lot of the volunteer work I did before.

I know that if I need to I can take on work anytime, like you I just don't want to - after working all my life I'm enjoying the me time.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM

I finally retired after 30's at the same job. I now volenteer at a local hospital, I love it! Michele
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Depends on your lifestyle and savings. I paid off credit cards and am selling house. Downsizing but saving ALL the fabric I have accumulated! If you can live within your retirement income and have $$$$ put away for rainy days (NOT TO BE TOUCHED OTHERWISE!) you should be fine. Talk to a financial advisor you trust too. Happy Quiltling and Happy Retirement!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM

I am single, retired at 60. Don't even think of not having anything to do. I cannot find enough hours in a day to get the things done, including having friends over. I do go from one thing to another because I have so much to do that I should have done a long time ago. This morning I sat on the patio to drink my morning coffee, watched the cardinals, filled the bird feeders and pulled weeds in my flower beds that I planted since I retired. I also am washing clothes, scrubbed the basement floor, pulled 4 boxes of things I no longer need for good will, did some quilting, filled the dishwasher, am now on the PC for an hour. Believe me, You will never run out of things to do. As far as money, you will never think you have enough, but as you get older you have almost everything you need, material things are no longer important, but I must say I do have about 300 years of fabric for quilts, well set. Good Luck!!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

If you have no retirement savings or plan by age 60 you really have to think what are you going to live on for probably the next 30 or more years. SS will barely cover basic expenses, if it is even available for 25 years or more. Downsize and live bare bones until you can live comfortably on SS or other retirement income while still working. This way you know you can make it when you retire. The cost of living will continue to rise but retirement income will not. So you have to factor that into your plan too.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 AM

i suggest you find an excellent financial planner that can help you with this issue.

DH and i have used a financial planner since we were 25 (thats 20 years now).

the financial planner helps you with every aspect of your financial life and what ever goals you might have that need money to achieve.

we have now reached the threshold of having enough money to retire and everything else we put away is gravy.

we are far to young to retire and since we both enjoy what we do for a living and would continue to create our art even in our retirement years we've decided not to change a thing right now.

one day we might move to a different part of of the country but aside from that nothing would really change for us.