Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate >

Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate

Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate

Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
My friend snored terribly and was always tired. Then a sleep study found sleep appena and now a C-Pap machine helps greatly. Just a thought you might want to check with your physician.
sleep apnea all too common & can cause of heart attacks while sleeping. heavy snorers should all undergo sleep studiy to determine presence of apnea
Old 12-09-2017, 04:24 PM

I go twice a year for a week with my DIL. Love her dearly but she likes to sew half the night and sleep late. I on the other hand like to go to my room about 8:00 and lounge but get up and sew at 6:00 am. We decided we would be friends longer if we had separate rooms. Cost us $15.00 a night more to have a private room. I agree with Jokir44 and am not always presentable in my room. LOL
Old 12-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
I like a room by myself and it has nothing to do with anyone snoring. If I want to wander around in my undies or have coffee at midnight I want to be able to do that. I want to leave my makeup out on the counter and my projects laid out on the other bed. Sounds like I'm a bit of a diva but really not.
I prefer a room to myself also. I tend to have sleep problems and sometimes I'm up and down at night. Plus I can be something of a recluse and after a lot of socializing, I enjoy going back to my room to be by myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that although others seem to see it as being anti-social.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I use to snore so loud I woke myself up. I never would share a room with anyone on retreats. I had extensive dental surgery and my snoring stopped. The surgery changed the shape of my teeth just enough that when my jaw is relaxed my mouth still stays closed. DH said it was worth the cost to stop the snoring. Well he snored too as loud as me. But we had our vents cleaned and took out the ceiling fan in the bedroom and his snoring almost stopped. It's not loud anymore. All types of things you never think of can cause or stop snoring. Snoring is dangerous to your health. I though I was going to have to have the machine until the dental surgery cured it. I never would have believed it.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:42 PM

I usually go to a retreat once a year for at least the last 10 years. I have roomed with several different ladies some I have known for a long time and some I just met at the retreat. I usually get along with others and have had double, triple and quadruple room mates. My DH snores so I am used to it and some of the other ladies apologize because they snore and I laugh because i tell them that i makes me feel at home.. I don't mind changing in from of other ladies or going to bed when I want to and staying up late or getting up early..we all have keys and we feel free to come and go as we wish. I love it and if I could afford it I would go twice a year. I have made so many friend that I only knew by name at the guild.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

You could room with me because I sleep like a rock. I hear nothing!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
You could room with me because I sleep like a rock. I hear nothing!
Me, too, SusieQ. I once slept through a whole brick house explosion only about three blocks away. It was the middle of the night, a gas leak (family was away on vacation), bricks flew everywhere with only a hole left in the ground. People came from miles away with their housecoats and fuzzy slippers on to see what that noise was, including my entire family. That was about 50 years ago and to this day I know of no one else who slept through that explosion.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:48 AM

I too snore. When I share a room with my DD we make sure she falls asleep first. But even without snoring, I prefer privacy of my own room.

Funniest story came from my Aunt Jean. She had her little DGD staying over. DGD kept waking her up crying and saying, “Grandma, no like snow.” Aunt Jean thought she was having bad dreams. By the third time the sweet thing tapped Aunt Jean’s nose and said, “no like snow.” A sleepy light bulb finally went on in Aunt Jean’s mind.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Definitely room alone. After a fun day of sewing, socializing and general room noise, I need the quiet. I retreat to my room and enjoy a relaxing glass of wine and rest. Maybe a little cheese and crackers. Sometimes a long hot bath to relax the back muscles.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I've never gone on retreat, although that was the first thing I was going to do when I retired I've seen at least 10 offered a around here since then but all are double rooms, the one yesterday has two bunk beds! I've had insomnia since I was 10-11 years old and I do a lot of kookie things to manage some sleep.

I can dream of taking part in one though
If a retreat is close by--go during the day and home at night. Girls have done that at the one place I went to.
They just might have a discount for not sleeping over.