Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Road Trip Barns with Quilt block >

Road Trip Barns with Quilt block

Road Trip Barns with Quilt block

Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by huntannette
There are some even up here...in mid-ontario around New Liskeard...lots of them...i was thinking of making one to put on my Gazebo/living room up at my camp....
Originally Posted by lbaillie
Just curious if you are has barns with Quilt block on them. We took a road trip over the holiday weekend and traveled about 400 miles. We have lots of barns in the Kentucky area that have had Quilt blocks painted on them. After seeing about 15 or so we started counting. Over the next 300 miles or so we count 31 barns with quilt block. It was so much more fun then playing license plate bingo!!! Just wondering if this is just in our little area of the world.
Thanks HuntA ... the ones I was thinking about are in the SW parts, out from London. I think yours got started when your area hosted the International Plowing Match. Yes? No?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM

I have one on my barn that my DH made. There are lots in the mountains of North Carolina, but I haven't seen any in my immediate area. I love to come across one out in the country while riding along.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM

I saw one the other day in Tenn and I think my hubby thought I was crazy when I started carrying on about it. I am in Alabama and haven't seen any here.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Haven't seen any
Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM

There was a speaker at the Quilt Gathering who talked about starting some trails in TX. Keep your eyes open as you travel. I can't remember where this person lived, but they may be painting quilt blocks for your area.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM

My MIL has talked my FIL into putting one on the front of their one barn! I was blown away! Neither one has any interest in quilting, my MIL says she is actually afraid of a needle and thread!!! She has taken out graph paper and pencil crayons and started sketching away! She even found quilter's cache onthe computer for more ideas!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 PM

TN has a large trail and a good map. Not sure if AL has active trails. Do a google search. You might find a site.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by lbaillie
Just curious if you are has barns with Quilt block on them. We took a road trip over the holiday weekend and traveled about 400 miles. We have lots of barns in the Kentucky area that have had Quilt blocks painted on them. After seeing about 15 or so we started counting. Over the next 300 miles or so we count 31 barns with quilt block. It was so much more fun then playing license plate bingo!!! Just wondering if this is just in our little area of the world.
Did you take any pictures???????
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM

I have pictures of close to 2 dozen different barns/buildings here in East Tennessee. It's alot of fun looking for them. I understand the idea came about as a way to focus some attention on the barns of America because they are disappearing at such a rapid rate. Driving the Quilt Barn Trails can take you into some very pretty rural country you might not ever see otherwise. I think we will take another outing looking for more as soon as we get storm damage repairs taken care of -- and if it will cool off a little bit!!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Michigan is getting started. Google Quilt Barns and you will get lots of hits.