Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rope/strip bowls

Rope/strip bowls

Ok, a weak moment...I was watching ami Simms website and she demoed a gadget that aids in wrapping fab strips onto clothesline to make fab bowls...and in that weak moment I ordered it! It has come, I opened the box, closed it and slid it into a corner of me sewing cave...thinking....when will I do this! No I won't send it back as a solution....maybe after the holidays in the dead of winter, when I'm tired of sewing hexies, or cathedral windows, I will make strips and try this......so tell me-am I alone in this gadget binge! Do I need an intervention...no one here knows I do this..they just leave me be and roll their eyes.......I think I need a life!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I'm also guilty. It must be a gene. My dad did woodworking and swore by all his gadgets & gauges. The proper tool for the proper job. I know that I can cut just about any shape with my 6X24" ruler, but it's so much easier for me to have that special triangle! I can cut apart my 50 chain pieced patches with scissors, but I love my Purple Gizmo... Now if I could just find that specific ruler I'm looking for...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    LOL nope you're not alone. I'm sure that I have at least 3/4's of the gadgets on the market. Some of them I have no idea what their for....Yes I think I need intervention, but why it's so much fun to have them just sitting there right?????

Okay I went and saw the video of the gadget you are mentioning and ummm I like it lol
    Last edited by btiny36; 11-14-2014 at 05:59 AM.

You are not alone! I recently purchased a bobbin porcupine. It holds bobbins on it's little green plastic spikes. I smile everytime I look at it at the thought that I thought I needed it.

No you're not alone. I try very hard NOT to impulse buy things that are "one trick ponies" unless I really will use it a lot...but I fail over and over, LOL.

My latest impulse buy of things I'm not really using is quilting stencils. I see them, get ideas and inspiration, buy them, put them in the cupboard and promptly forget they exist (until I'm adding another one). Sigh. At least they're not terribly expensive, but still. I need to either stop buying them, or start using them!

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    LOL nope you're not alone. I'm sure that I have at least 3/4's of the gadgets on the market. Some of them I have no idea what their for....Yes I think I need intervention, but why it's so much fun to have them just sitting there right?????

Okay I went and saw the video of the gadget you are mentioning and ummm I like it lol
    Too bad we don't live closer we could "wrap" together!

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    You are not alone! I recently purchased a bobbin porcupine. It holds bobbins on it's little green plastic spikes. I smile everytime I look at it at the thought that I thought I needed it.
    ...now that sounds practical and cute!

I am the same I think I need it and then get it and wonder if I will ever use it. I have templates for just about every sharpe and size and still make my own. lol.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm..new way to make those "ropes" for fabric bowls: use 2 1/2 inch strips of fabric sewn lengthwise over a 1 inch strip of high loft batting. Then zig zag those strips into a bowl,etc.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Power Poster
    I ask myself, how often will I use this? If it's a ruler and I will use it to cut a whole quilt-it's a bargain because it saves me time and is more accurate.
    On the special tool for clothesline baskets, if you are going to do a lot of baskets then it is worth it to you. I enjoyed making the baskets and used some funky rayon blends to clear them out of my sewing room. I have also seen some wonderful large purses using the covered clothesline, so get busy!

Blog Entries
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO a gadget that wraps the cord? That IS SO tempting.
    LOL Not enough hors in the day for everything.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Rather than wrapping the fabric around the clothesline, make a continuous strip of 1-1/4" fabric strips like you would make binding, joining the strips at a 45 degree angle, then fold the strip around the clothesline and sew as close to the strip as you can with your zipper foot (the same as if you were making piping). Trim the excess fabric as close to the stitching as you can without clipping the stitching, then make your bowls. You can make your bowls as plain or as scrappy as you like. Jane Hall teaches this method of bowlmaking, and I like it better than having to constantly straighten out the fabric strips as you wrap.

As for being a gadget freak, if they had a Gadgets' Anonymous, I would have to join. My #1 worst purchase was a set of rolling rulers. The demonstration on them was truly amazing, but I purchased them at the Quilt Festival in Houston 3 years ago, and have never used them. My #2 worst purchase was the Martelli binding system. I took it out of the box, read the instructions, watched the video, then put everything back in the box when I found out I'd have to buy an adapter to use the foot on my Bernina. The plan is to use one of my Featherweights as a dedicated binding machine if I ever get them all serviced.

Yep. Lots of gadgets around here...if I could just find them.
    Penny

I always ask myself do I need this or do I want this. If I really don't need it, I just turn and walk away. I live on a tight budget.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have been where you are on the gadget issue. I finally got my fill of "stuff" that is overrated or useful for only one project.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I always ask myself do I need this or do I want this. If I really don't need it, I just turn and walk away. I live on a tight budget.
    I need to make a sign of that ..thank you.....

Blog Entries
    Sitting here with my hand raised. I'm also a member of the "now why did I buy that ruler and/or gadget" group

The biggest issue is at the time I don't just think I need it, I buy it! I am ordinarily someone who spends days and weeks before making a purchase unless it is quilting/sewing notion. Then I also have the embroidery machine that requires different notions. I think it is a disease and that makes me not responsible for my actions, maybe!
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

I could be wealthy for all the gadgets I have and do not even remember what they do...lol. It's the "what if I need it" that gets me everytime. I am better now in trying to decide if I will ever have time for something new. Just selling my stash for an upcoming move has been tough. Hope I can get to gadgets! You are not alone by any means.
    Linda

As for me, I purchase every quilting template if I'm going to use it or not. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to making enough quilts to use my 50 plus templates.

.....now it is spreading too! Besides templates, rulers, patterns, books...two yrs ago I purchased a GO and prior to price control on the dies..my "collection" grew...three months ago I found a Sizzix big shot at an irresistible price....and now I visit HL- w/ coupon and Sizzix site for guess what! Another collection is sprouting up!

Blog Entries
    I buy some gadgets I will probably never use. I am more of a ruler and fabric junkie myself. Oh my I have never seen a bobbin porcupine before, they are cute. I tell my family sewing is cheaper than drugs or therapy. I'm not sure this is true.

Blog Entries
    Not only do I buy gadgets for sewing, I now have a Long Arm that I buy gadgets for that I think will help me quilt better. You are definitely not alone... LOL it is a sickness

[QUOTE=Geri B;6968161]Ok, a weak moment...I was watching ami Simms website and she demoed a gadget that aids in wrapping fab strips onto clothesline to make fab bowls...and in that weak moment I ordered it! It has come, I opened the box, closed it and slid it into a corner of me sewing cave...thinking....when will I do this! No I won't send it back as a solution....maybe after the holidays in the dead of winter, when I'm tired of sewing hexies, or cathedral windows, I will make strips and try this......so tell me

Oh my, I also want to make those bowls!! Could please let me know what that gadget is? I am SURE that I must need that one too!! LOL!
    Sondra

I make the rope bowls using one of those metal bias strip tips. Keeps it neat and without all the loose threads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast