Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rude attendant at the quilt show >

Rude attendant at the quilt show

Rude attendant at the quilt show

Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

She should be embarrassed, not you.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM

YOU shouldn't be embarrassed!!! SHE should be!!!! Sorry that started your day off wrong!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Why is it people have the need to 'shout' out their dumbness? Reminds me of the time I went to a local retailer and the price tag was not on the blouse I was buying. Very quickly before I could blink, the cashier handed the blouse to another clerk who whisked it away toward the misses dept. and very loudly as she was headed there, yelled to another employee, "What is the price of a blouse that is size --?" Not only was I upset for her mentioning my size, and laughing at her stupidity, I actually waited for her to return with the blouse I wanted to buy so I could pay for it.
The attendants should be well-informed if they are going to attend. lol
Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 PM

it was good you had the flyer on you or there could have been a real yelling match. Just let it go because it surely didnt bother the other person, or they wouldnt have yelled in the first place, and if you "fume" and take it to heart you will surely put it there one way or another - stroke or heart attack.

The only way to face down someone who "thinks" they hold the power, or even do hold the power is never ever raise your voice, if anything speak softer so they have to lean in to hear you, or are forced to ask you to repeat things. The louder they get, the softer you go until, finally, you just stare at them like they're speaking another language and you start to say, "but, I dont understand", over and over. (as in: "but, I just don't understand, the flyer was very specific about the age, why do I owe??") Do not move away cus the line behind you will grow 50 feet long, and her day will be shot, I can promise you.

of course, that's very mean, but anyone who yells at you in public does ask for a retort. If you're "niceness" is actually sincere, it really not meaness at all, its just trying to resolve a problem for the next person. sharet
Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Give some people a little bit of responsibility and they think they own the world. I have a friend who can't help herself about touching the quilts. I always hand her a pair of white gloves as we walk in to any quilt show. Only one self important person has ever challenged her. The one who did, did it on top note trying to make herself seem important. Needless to say my friend was embarrassed but most people around us came up to comfort her.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 AM
QM
Power Poster

She was a jerk. Don't give her more importance in your life than she deserves.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 AM

I went through something similar at the cafeteria in the building where I work this week. I rarely buy lunch but occasionally there's nothing left in the fridge. The cafeteria has a small salad bar and it has always been that you can fill a reasonably sized plastic container they have with whatever and regardless of weight the price is $5.00. It's not a big container just a medioum sized bubble container. The manager running the cafeteria never weighs the salads just charges $5.00-he's the one who explained this to me when we moved to the new building. He wasn't there and first I noticed that the salad bar was a little skimpy that day but there was the usual lettuce tomatoe olives etc so I went ahead. Mind you today I had brought a $20 with me but most times I have $5 and that's it. So the girl at the register asks to weigh my salad which I thought was odd but handed it over. She then asks me for $7.00. I questioned the price and they said the boss had made this change this week. So I paid the $7.00 but started looking to see where the change was posted and found nothing. I very nicely suggested that if this change was made it should be posted. The eye rolling was priceless. Anyway, as I was walking toward the door I glanced at the side of the salad bar where it was very prominantly posted that the salad was $5.00 for the bowl. Now a little aggravated I pointed this out to them and got my $2.00 back. I would have been very embarrased if I had only brought $5.00 with me. The manager has every right to change prices but changes should be posted.