Saving money tips?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 AM

Haven't read all the posts, but get some microfiber cleaning cloths (Dollar Tree has them, Big Lots, most department stores) and use instead of paper towels. Saves a TON of money over the year. Also, forget fancy cleaners...use vinegar and if you need a bit of "scrub" to it, use some baking soda with the damp microfiber towel. Somewhere there's a list of over 100 use for ​used dryer sheets...we use them to polish/clean around our sink spigots and they loosen burnt on crud from frying pans if you put the sheet in and let it soak. The dryer sheet is also good if you let it soak with your casserole dishes...it gets rid of all those ugly little brown spots on the edges. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 AM

Congratulations on getting in the program. You are going to be busy. We bought a Roku box and added Netflix for $9 a month, then dropped cable ( we have trees, so no dish). TV shows have no commercials. Yeah!
We love to!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Congrats on furthering your education!

Years ago, I couldn't figure out where our money was going, so for a couple weeks, I wrote down every penny we spent. Added up the utilities, too. This was harder than I thought, but what an eye opener! We stopped eating out and started turning off lights when not in use. (To this day, I hate having unnecessary lights on.) I agree Dave Ramsey is very inspirational. Also totally agree with shopping thrift shops and Dollar stores.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 AM

Be careful, when you shop at the Dollar stores. In many cases, you can get the same $1 item for less, somewhere else . . . or twice as much somewhere else, for just a bit more.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 AM

Cleaning products can be very expensive. Vinegar and/or bi-carb will take care of any cleaning. Washing soda can be used in a dishwasher in place of expensive powder or power balls. Vinegar is the best air freshener and it's so cheap. You can use it as a fabric softener if you need one. Unlike fabric softeners which can cause havoc with your washing machine Vinegar cleans & deodorizes and is an antiseptic. It is also good for keeping drains free and is an excellent weed killer.
Borax is a must in the laundry. Micro clothes are fabulous too. Just remember to wipe dry. I have been using these things for years and have saved a small fortune. I gave up smoking four years ago and I'm never short of money and have saved and bought 3 machine.

Congratulations on the nursing and I wish you well.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

It's possible to save on electricity by putting certain items on a power strip. Things like TV's and DVD players use electricity even when you don't have them turned on. See this article:
http://www.entrustenergy.com/25-ways...our-appliances
Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Make your own laundry detergent. Google Homemake Laundry Detergent and you will find the recipe. I'll never buy detergent again.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Be careful, when you shop at the Dollar stores. In many cases, you can get the same $1 item for less, somewhere else . . . or twice as much somewhere else, for just a bit more.
ditto ... the price seems amazing ... but so often, the quantity is less, thus making the per unit price substantially higher.

And yes ... some of the buys are indeed good buys!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Take a good look at your last few months bills and credit card charges. It helps to know where your money is going. Sometimes little things add up quick. Look closely at things you pay for every month, cable and phone bill, newspapers, movie channels. Making changes in these can add up to big savings.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM

I make huge pots of soup or chili. Then to freeze it, I ladle it into our soup bowls and put bowl and all into the freezer. After a few hours, when the soup is frozen solid, take it out of the freezer and remove the frozen soup from the bowl. Sometimes it takes a minute in the microwave to get it out of the bowl. Put the frozen "bowls" of soup into a plastic bag and label and date the bag. When you need a really fast dinner, take a frozen glob of soup out of the bag, place it in one of your soup bowls and microwave. Healthy and bargain priced!

Another chili hint - use much less ground meat and much, much more beans in your chili! Less expensive and much better for you!