Saving money tips?

Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM

You didn't say if it's a BSN program or Nurse Practitioner, but congratulations! My daughter will graduate in May from a NP program, is working part-time so she can get in her clinical hours. I agree with what everyone has said.

Years ago DH & I started following Dave Ramsey's program. We didn't have a lot of credit cards but enough we didn't like it. He recommends the envelope program. You put aside "X" amount of money for groceries, health/beauty, eating out, utilities, etc. Put cash in the envelope for each category that you will need. Then that's it for the month. DH & I did this specifically for eating out because we ate out too much.

Cooking meals ahead and freeze them ahead. It saves time and money. I very seldom buy name brand anything, it's all generic foods. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, plastic sandwich bags, etc is generic. I use vinegar, water, and peroxide for cleaning. It's cheaper than cleaners and better for the environment.

If you drink soda, stop. It's expensive. I agree about the coffee, drinks, etc. Don't buy them at work, take it with you. Pack your lunch instead of buying it at work.

Once you get into a routine of cutting back, saving money will become second hand.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Actually, I have been an LPN for 26 years (I'm 46) and decided a few years ago it was now or never to get into an RN program. I am beyond excited!

Thanks for the many awesome tips from you great quilters! Some I already do and some I had never thought about. EllieGirl, it is my goal to give up the soda before my classes start. I've done it before and can do it again. I want to be refreshed for my classes, not craving caffeine lol
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 PM

One more tip...buy some things now, and tuck them away for later. Be it a birthday gift, a just because gift, or whatever. It's nice to have something in reserve when things are tight. I've done that for years, and it's nice to have that "backup" available!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 AM

See www.frugalvillage.com for lots of information and www.moneysavingexpert.com/ ( allthough it is a UK site lots of useable tips on saving money)
Both sites have forums with lots of good questions advice tips info on saving money.

Last edited by Nerys; 10-22-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 AM

well done on getting on the program

to save money one of the biggest changes I have made recently is felted dryer balls
I made some from fleece but you can make them from wool yarn that says not to machine wash

I use three and we have cut our drying time by a third to a half - a load of towels or jeans now takes half the time it used to
no more chemicals from sheet or the plastic dryer balls - ask any knitters for left over yarn that will felt- roll it into balls pop into the toe of old socks that would be thrown out or buy the cheapest opaque tights you can find tie off tightly by stretching the tights/socks then add the next one - pop in the washing next time you do a load (do this two or three times if on short wash) then pop into the dryer with clothes - take them out of the tights/socks and then make sure they are felted and then chuck in the dryer with your washing - pop in and dont forget to reduce the time happy energy saving and your clothes will be nice and soft without the chemicals
Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 AM

have no idea why it posted twice so have edited to delete
Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 AM

I stopped doing coupons, unless its a cash coupon, such as Joann's or Hobby Lobby, Lowes and I only use them if I really need something. I found clipping coupons just made me buy stuff that I did not need. My husband reminded me its not a bargain if you really don't need it in the first place. I find shopping at consignment shops or Goodwill is a great money saver...you can find lots of brand new items for under 10.00 and so much cheaper than walking into any other store. I do not need to shop there and many people I know can't believe I would...for me..I can't believe someone pays 100.00 for a pair of paints or the new sweater I got at GW for 7.99 (with the store price tag) that in the store goes for 228.00 (who on earth would pay that for a sweater) Antiques stores are wonderful to spend the day looking...its like a day at the museum. Keep the heat down, put on a quilt in the morning while drinking your coffee. Shop in your stash when making quilts. Library for DVD's, books, newspapers, internet etc. Dollar store for cleaning products...remember those dollars add up so think...do I really need this, will I use it. Eating out is a huge expense. Pack a few snacks and maybe a sandwich or two in the car for those long trips. A small cooler in the car works well for those who travel a lot during the day. My husband keeps water bottles in his cooler. when you buy some thing - remember to think I had to work ( ) hours for this...is it worth it? Hairdressers are very expensive - cut, tip and all the stuff they talk you into. Its saves money not having a short haircut - lots of maintenance with short style I just cut mine - love the look but its a lot more work. Buy your books second hand if you do not want to get them free at the library. If you must go out to eat....have a water instead of a soda or wine....split the meal with a friend if possible. Most places serve way to much food on the plate. Find a hobby at home, like quilting. You save money on gas, going out to eat, just spending money by walking into a store...just shop from your stash. When cleaning out the closet, cut up material to make a few quilts for the local animal shelter. You would be surprised on how much you save by just learning that there is so much we buy that we never use or really need to use. Tell everyone that you do not buy gifts for birthdays or christmas - I only buy for my kids and my parents (I get them gift cert more to get the out of the house to enjoy a day out) and that is it...oh and now my grand daughter.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 AM

Lots of good tips here. You don't have much lead time but I would recommend you cut your pay by half right now. Put half your paycheck into savings beginning now. It will help you "practice" not having that money and it will give you a little nest egg for some of the unexpected things that are bound to happen.

Once you have cut your hours you won't be able to do that, of course, but I would still set aside a small sum into savings. I've done this for years. Every pay increase I get, I put the increase into savings instead of my pocket. My take home pay hasn't varied for years but my savings account has grown a lot. It is amazing how a few extra dollars in your pocket or in your checking account tends to vanish but in savings ... notsomuch.

Someone mentioned taking your food and beverages to work which is a good idea. There is a website that I really like that has a lot of tips on making things for the freezer and that really cuts down on the temptation to order pizza or go out for lunch or breakfast. She makes and freezes breakfast sandwiches and oh, so many other things. I think you will find it helpful. http://www.skinnymomskitchen.com/

Good luck and congratulations.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 AM

One of my friends who weathered the Great Depression commented that, unless you need to have hot water and will wait for it to come into the faucet, don't use the hot water faucet. Letting even a bit of cold water come into the water heater esp in the winter months, makes it come on to reheat the entire heater. She's gone now but those who went through that era knew how to pinch a penny in every way!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Swap Hosts

Attitude is everything and if you approach this with the right attitude, it will be a fun challenge. You may never go back!
1. Budget everything. Use the envelope system if you have to.
2. Get rid of your cable service. Do you really need it? Repeat NEED???
3. Christmas is coming - and birthdays, too. Buy second hand. Go to estate sales. Lots of people are shopaholics and you'll find lots of stuff that is new with tags
4. Pay cash. Get rid of the credit cards.
5. Turn out the lights. Get in the habit of shutting off lights when you leave the room. Unplug everything you're not using.
6. Keep a change jar. Pay for everything with dollar bills. Keep the change and when the jar is full, put it into your account.
7. Pay your bills on time to avoid late fees.
8. Bring back soda and water bottles for the deposit.
9. Never, not ever, go shopping for groceries without coupons. Shop at stores that double your coupons.
10.Shop on the days your grocer has $1.00 or $2.00 off the meat for fast sale. It's good meat, just cheaper.
11. Shop the loss-leaders at all the stores. That means the 3 days specials that are seriously marked down.
12. If you don't have time for that, shop at Walmart and use their price match policy. It works!
Good luck!