Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sayings that need to be amended - - -

Blog Entries
    "It's not what you say, it's how you say it" Hey, I worked hard at achieving sarcasm as a young'un! Oh, which brings me to "You pay for your raising". Which I guess means I'm saying the same things my parents did....

The majority of these sayings are from the 1800's and earlier. Some such as "Pride goes before a fall." is from the book of Proverbs. When you know what these meant when they were originated, then they do make good sense. If you eat all of your cake you cannot still have any left. If you make a poor job of stitching together your mattress and it is uncomfortable, you will still have to use it to sleep on. My grandmother's favorite was "Don't get your cart before your horse." Obviously meaning keeping your priorities in order. A stitch in time saves nine - could today mean keep up the small restorations on your vintage quilts so that you don't have a major restoration job in the future. Common sense hasn't gone out of style.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    My mother telling us when we were crying "stop or I'll give you something to cry about".

I'm ALREADY crying!!!
    Meaning she didn't think what you were crying about was that big of a deal, and if you kept on crying, she'd make sure you WERE crying about something!

My new favorite is "Unless life hands you sugar and water when it hands you lemons, your lemonade is going to suck."

I've always said, "Time flies when you're having fun" and it does fly when I'm creating at my sewing machine! At least when I'm sewing, not unsewing.[/QUOTE]

If you're unsewing, time should fly backwards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    I think it was said as a sarcastic remark in the first place. You must all be younger ladies.
    not sarcasm ... humor.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

When one door closes, another opens..... but sometimes it's miserable in the hallway!!

Blog Entries
    LOL, who cares, there's worse things in life
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
    If you're unsewing, time should fly backwards.
    Now THAT'S funny - and oh how I wish it were true!

My DD(addy) loved to give a twist to tired sayings.. My favorite was:

"On the other hand.........."(which people would follow with a long pause, he would interject) "She had warts!"

I guess you'd have to have been there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    The majority of these sayings are from the 1800's and earlier. Some such as "Pride goes before a fall." is from the book of Proverbs. When you know what these meant when they were originated, then they do make good sense. If you eat all of your cake you cannot still have any left. If you make a poor job of stitching together your mattress and it is uncomfortable, you will still have to use it to sleep on. My grandmother's favorite was "Don't get your cart before your horse." Obviously meaning keeping your priorities in order. A stitch in time saves nine - could today mean keep up the small restorations on your vintage quilts so that you don't have a major restoration job in the future. Common sense hasn't gone out of style.
    Tanya, you just took me back to second grade. A stitch in time saves nine was the first proverb I ever learned in Mrs. Curry"s class.

Power Poster
    This thread was meant to entertain - - -

A couple more phrases - - -

"He's in a jam" - or "She's in a real pickle"

My 'jam' visual goes to - wonder what flavor? how'd he get in the jar? how sticky will he be when he gets out?

The pickle one starts out with - hmm - wonder if that's a cucumber dill pickle? How in the world would someone get INSIDE a pickle? Or is the person pickled?

Sometimes being literal minded can be entertaining - to myself, anyway.

By the way - I do know that the usual explanation/meaning - is that someone is in some sort of trouble or unpleasant predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    One that bothers me is: "There's always a tomorrow."
    Some tomorrows never arrive ....

My mother used to say something about vanity, can't remember it (and probably don't want to), but it deflated me when she said it. She usually said it when I was proud of how I looked or something I did ... like I wasn't entitled to have pride ....
    "Vanity did I ever offend thee? No, and I never intend to," My Nani used to say that when we were showing off.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Funny, But its not 'Get off the Pity Pot' Its ' P_ss or Get off the Pot ' A very old saying! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 View Post
    momisms: "time flies when you don't know what you're doing."

"he who laughs last just doesn't get it."

"people who live in glass houses should undress in the basement."

"he who laughs last is worth two in the bush."

"a rolling stone...moves."

"pretty is as pretty does, but stupid goes all the way to the bone."

okay. i'm not trying to make her sound unhinged--my mom just had a bit of a twist in her sense of humor...
    I LOVE THE ONE "Pretty is as Pretty Does, But Stupid Goes All the way to the Bone!!' It was one OF many my Mother said to me! She Had Tons!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    Funny, But its not 'Get off the Pity Pot' Its ' P_ss or Get off the Pot ' A very old saying! LOL
    Those are two different sayings. I am quite fond of "piss or get off the pot" when, for instance, you're in the fast lane and moving slow! "Piss"=drive faster "or get off the pot"=get out of the fast lane!

Get off the pity pot is about the same as Stop throwing yourself a pity party... or "Boo hoo, we really don't care!"

I just went out on the Web and was Look'in at some other Sayings this one was cute:
    " I'm Finer than Frog Hair Split Four Ways"

Or: Hes got "Bats in His Belfry"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2