Screen doors in Texas..

Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

wow those phantom doors are awesome...really LOVE those...
I live in OK and was born in TX..everyone in my family has screen doors on all of their doors..my sisters house has FOUR exterior doors..yes she can go out side from any side of the house...and there is a screen door on all doors, plus her chicken coop has a screen door, the wood shop has two, the green house has one and the barn has one.....really don't think it is a TX thing..maybe a nouveau riche thing???
Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I live in Texas, and I have a screen door. I don't really use it because when the temperature drops below 95 I feel a bit chilly... :P

EDIT - this is what I was trying to think of: We have all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, Still summer, and Christmas
ROFL!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM

I have a storm door and can raise the lower window which has a screen behind it. I love opening the windows when the temperatures are nice here in the spring and fall, neither of which see to last more than a couple weeks.

I lived with my grandmother when I was in high school and she would not turn on AC unless we had lots of company. However, she lived in an older house with lots of windows and we slept with the windows by our beds open at night and with fans blowing on us. The head of my bed was in a corner with two large windows on either side. During the day it would get extremely hot, but with the windows open and fans going, it was not unbearable (most of the time).

We also just had space heaters and they had to be off at night. If it was 18 degrees outside, it was 18 degrees in the house when we slept. Luckily, she was a quilter and we had plenty of cover.

My house, as with most construction after home AC's became the norm, does not have as many or as large windows as older houses like my grandmother's house. I can get some airflow by opening the windows, but not nearly as much of a breeze as with older houses.

My brother now lives in my grandmother's house. He removed her old screen doors which were worn out and installed new "bam, bam" doors...You know, the kind with a spring on it that make the door go "bam, bam" after you go through it.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by neeng
Could be blown open by wind during tornadoes and other storms....
And here's the perfect solution:
http://www.phantomscreens.com/produc...image-gallery/
I LOVE these. Nothing to blow away as it's all inside. LOVE!!

And there are less expensive versions. And easy to DIY install.
NAYY. ;-)
Very nice, but I don't think I could talk my landlord into one.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 AM

since i brought this up...my son's house in SA, also has french doors going out to the deck..no screen doors there either..
seems like the flies get in to cool off too!

oh, and his central air is acting up..got a $7000 extimate! yikees!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Originally Posted by redkimba
I live in Texas, and I have a screen door. I don't really use it because when the temperature drops below 95 I feel a bit chilly... :P

EDIT - this is what I was trying to think of: We have all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, Still summer, and Christmas
ROFL!!!
here in Vermont we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of pretty poor sledding.

but one thing I always wonder, why in movies or TV shows, houses NEVER have screens or storms on the windows, people inside just throw open the window and climb out, elope, throw things or whatever. Am I the only one that has ALWAYS had storms/screens on windows in every house I ever lived in?

It's like, also on TV/movies, when anyone gets a present, they never have to tear off the wrapping paper, they just lift off the lid, which has been wrapped separately from the present. I have NEVER gotten a gift like that.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 AM

We have 2 of the retractable screens and love them. I have a full glass decorative front door and did not want it hidden behind a regular storm door and I wanted the option of having the doors open and fresh air coming in. I highly recommend the retractable screens. We bought ours and Lowes and my husband installed them. Much more cost effective then the Phantom brand. ( The second one is on the walk-through door of the garage.)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
It's just too hot in most of Texas during the summer for screen doors. Our airconditioner has alreay been running for a month off and on and now that summer has finially hit (90s most days and up to 97 later this week) a screen door is just not practical. I even keep the blinds closed most of the day due to hit though the windows.

mltquilt
We'd never be able to afford to have the AC going all of the time. How are your energy prices? The place I lived before I moved here used to have 113F temperatures with an occasional week of around 129F. Don't know if I like this place's weather any better, as we get 95F in the summer and 17F in the winter. However, we do have screen doors - don't like the sticky flies and mosquitoes!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 AM

I live in Texas and have a screen door on the front door, but not the back. The danged dogs have figured out how to barge through and open the screen door. We only use it in the cooler months, its just too hot during the summer to have the doors open.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 AM

we seem to have 2 seasons -- hot and cold -- if the heat isn't on, the AC is -- few people around here ever open a window -- instead of screen doors, many have glass doors to let in the light