Sell - Donate - or Dump?

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Default Sell - Donate - or Dump?

After finally deciding (anguishing) that some items are no longer wanted or needed -

what is the best way to get them gone?

I don't have enough gathered to put on a yard sale (or the facility/location or the desire or the energy) - the stuff isn't valuable enough to advertise - and taking them to donation sites is inconvenient - and it's still too good to just trash - and I've already tried to pawn the stuff off to other family members -

What do you do?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

is there a Senior Center near you? I took lots of tole painting books and such there. they give classes. and I have given quilts and fabrics to Charity. some places pick up.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM

We are in the cleaning mode now and took 4 pickup trucks to Habitat for Humanity and a few bags of clothing to Goodwill. Tried Salvation Army but they have this guy who refuses everything ! There are many agencies that need things for people who are homeless or have less than.... Advertise it for free on Craigslist, they will come to your house and pick it up.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM

My church has a quilting group that takes fabric and thread donations. I would be willing to pick up if you are not far from Jordan, Minnesota. We sew together to make quilts and give to families needing them, etc.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Vietnam Vets of America- VVA- will pick up most stuff & leave a tax donation receipt. Hopefully they are near you. I also took stuff to church after sending a list of what I had to the ministry that helps folks in need. I am not big on doing garage sales. Our most successful started at 8AM and ended at 10AM. The VVA truck came the following week and got the remains. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Call the Salvation Army or St. Vincent De Paul in your area and see if they do pick- ps. If not, we put stuff that is sill good at the curb with a free sign and it disappears quickly. The few pieces that remain go to the charity shop or stay at the curb for trash pick up.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

You can also put a donation ad on Freecycle. This works best in urban/suburban areas. Google Freecycle to find one in your area.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM

You coils also ask at a local church. Sometimes they know of families in need and there might be someone willing to pick it up. Also, local organizations or schools often ask for donations for a yard sale so they might pickmup as well. I agree with the Freecycle idea, too. We live in a pretty rural area but there are still Freecycle postings for our area. Just Google Freecycle website and go from there. Like it says, it is free to post. Local newspapers often let you list something at no cost if it is free.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM

I hate the way the IPad changes your words on you!! I meant "you could ask a local church.".
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

in Yahoo each City has a freecycle site. I gave away a t.v. that way. met the lady at Block Buster parking lot. not my home.