Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60

Thread: Selling Practices

  1. #26
    Super Member tigger5464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ????????????
    Posts
    1,737
    Blog Entries
    2
    IMHO....I often visit the classified section and from personal experience, I've never had a problem. However, since I do visit this section so often, I have seen where some people have their first posting as something for sale. They often don't remember to check back for extended periods of time to see if anyone has responded to their ads. To me, (only MY opinion) these people are only here to make sales of whatever sort they have.
    I agree that if someone doesn't like seeing something, don't go there. But I also see the point about the very first post someone puts up is an item for sale.
    That being said, I leave things in the capable hands of the administrator. :D Have faith and trust that Admin. will do the right thing. (seems that Admin. hasn't done wrong for us yet) :D

  2. #27
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for bringing this up BW. :-D

    Although I don't look in Classifieds much as most members are in the US and I'm in France so shipping would preclude me from buying things, I am aware that there does seem to be an increase in the number of 'classified advertisers'.

    I hadn't seen the posts of the person who is referred to, but am happy to take BW's and Moonpi's word for it.

    My understanding was that the classified section existed as a service to members who wished to buy or sell 'one off' items, NOT as a commercial thing. I appreciate the comment 'if you don't like it don't go there' - I don't and I don't! But the question is, is the board being exploited for financial gain by being used as a market place by people who aren't 'real' members? If so, and if it's becoming endemic, then it should be addressed. I'm so sorry, I have no suggestions at this stage as to how. Will give it some thought. :D

  3. #28
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,183
    Blog Entries
    3
    when i open a classified ad, the first thing i check is the member's join date.

    if they've been here less than 6 months, i next check their profile to see their posting history.

    if their history is overloaded with classifieds to sell i consider that person a poser. that is, somebody pretending to be a member who is here only to stick her/his hand into our pockets. i resent that.

    the board is free to us. it is not free to Admin. there are expenses involved. advertising revenue can offset those expenses. ideally, they would generate some profit. the more often he breaks even or makes a profit, the more he can afford to add to the board and offer to us for free.

    people who want to exploit board members as a market should have to pay for their ads. that way, the rest of us can remain free to post occassional ads offering our extra supplies to each other at rock bottom prices without having to pay any membership or advert fees.

    our classified section was created to give members an easy way to buy/sell/trade amongst ourselves so we can help each other makes ends meet. it was never intended as a place for professionals to ply their wares.

    let's say you belong to a quilt guild. members are allowed to bring things to meetings to buy/sell/trade with each other. some creep shows up and "joins" but the first thing out of her mouth is "i have such a deal for you." all that member ever contributes to guild meetings are "opportunities" to get in on "bargains". (she may drop in a line or two of general conversation to "cover her tracks".) are you seriously going to tell me that wouldn't ruffle just about every feather in the guild? they'd run her out of town on a rail, nicely tarred and feathered.

    the same principle applies here. we are a vitual guild; an ongoing party among friends; a huge extended family. the issue is not whether the seller is honest. the issue is whether the seller is truly one of us or just somebody hoping we're stupid enough to believe they are so they can take our money and run laughing to the bank.

  4. #29
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Glad to see this posted. I too had noticed and was wondering. Thanks for staying on top of things.
    I noticed too.

  5. #30
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    When I look at the classifieds and don't know the name I always look at the joining date. I have only bought a couple of things here and so far so good. I would not buy from a newbie and I think some of the things posted lately have been priced way too high.
    I agree with you. If they have just joined and their first post is selling something, I shy away.

  6. #31
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,001
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    when i open a classified ad, the first thing i check is the member's join date.

    if they've been here less than 6 months, i next check their profile to see their posting history.

    if their history is overloaded with classifieds to sell i consider that person a poser. that is, somebody pretending to be a member who is here only to stick her/his hand into our pockets. i resent that.

    the board is free to us. it is not free to Admin. there are expenses involved. advertising revenue can offset those expenses. ideally, they would generate some profit. the more often he breaks even or makes a profit, the more he can afford to add to the board and offer to us for free.

    people who want to exploit board members as a market should have to pay for their ads. that way, the rest of us can remain free to post occassional ads offering our extra supplies to each other at rock bottom prices without having to pay any membership or advert fees.

    our classified section was created to give members an easy way to buy/sell/trade amongst ourselves so we can help each other makes ends meet. it was never intended as a place for professionals to ply their wares.

    let's say you belong to a quilt guild. members are allowed to bring things to meetings to buy/sell/trade with each other. some creep shows up and "joins" but the first thing out of her mouth is "i have such a deal for you." all that member ever contributes to guild meetings are "opportunities" to get in on "bargains". (she may drop in a line or two of general conversation to "cover her tracks".) are you seriously going to tell me that wouldn't ruffle just about every feather in the guild? they'd run her out of town on a rail, nicely tarred and feathered.

    the same principle applies here. we are a vitual guild; an ongoing party among friends; a huge extended family. the issue is not whether the seller is honest. the issue is whether the seller is truly one of us or just somebody hoping we're stupid enough to believe they are so they can take our money and run laughing to the bank.
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

  7. #32
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    when i open a classified ad, the first thing i check is the member's join date.

    if they've been here less than 6 months, i next check their profile to see their posting history.

    if their history is overloaded with classifieds to sell i consider that person a poser. that is, somebody pretending to be a member who is here only to stick her/his hand into our pockets. i resent that.

    the board is free to us. it is not free to Admin. there are expenses involved. advertising revenue can offset those expenses. ideally, they would generate some profit. the more often he breaks even or makes a profit, the more he can afford to add to the board and offer to us for free.

    people who want to exploit board members as a market should have to pay for their ads. that way, the rest of us can remain free to post occassional ads offering our extra supplies to each other at rock bottom prices without having to pay any membership or advert fees.

    our classified section was created to give members an easy way to buy/sell/trade amongst ourselves so we can help each other makes ends meet. it was never intended as a place for professionals to ply their wares.

    let's say you belong to a quilt guild. members are allowed to bring things to meetings to buy/sell/trade with each other. some creep shows up and "joins" but the first thing out of her mouth is "i have such a deal for you." all that member ever contributes to guild meetings are "opportunities" to get in on "bargains". (she may drop in a line or two of general conversation to "cover her tracks".) are you seriously going to tell me that wouldn't ruffle just about every feather in the guild? they'd run her out of town on a rail, nicely tarred and feathered.

    the same principle applies here. we are a vitual guild; an ongoing party among friends; a huge extended family. the issue is not whether the seller is honest. the issue is whether the seller is truly one of us or just somebody hoping we're stupid enough to believe they are so they can take our money and run laughing to the bank.
    You took the words right out of my mouth!
    I can count on you to say what I'm thinking. You're right on here.

  8. #33
    Senior Member cindyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cypress (NW Houston), TX
    Posts
    583
    I'm new here....and it wasn't me!!!!! I read in that post that new members should wait a while before putting anything up for sale so that the older members could get to know us and trust us. And that's what I'm doing even though I do have something I would like to put in the classified. I'll wait.

  9. #34
    MNQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    694
    I honestly haven't bought or sold anyting on here yet, but I have to say, it drives me nuts. I was just looking at a "too good to be true" sale posting. The woman joined quite some time ago, but EVERY one her posts was a classified ad. No conversations, nothing else. Don't know if we can report that kind of thing or not but it is enough to drive me nuts!

  10. #35
    Super Member Barbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    blink and you've missed it
    Posts
    2,611
    I always look at the poster to see if I "know" them. Sometimes it means now thinking, do I wait or do I buy? It goes quickly. I shy away from new posters, just until I know them better.

    Most times the items I love are gone instantly.

  11. #36
    Super Member Chele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Belle Isle, Florida
    Posts
    6,737
    Buyer beware. It's not a new concept, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded. That being said, I've bought some really neat fabric from one of our members! And it was a great deal!

    If the classified posts are not your thing, turn them off. Admin has set it up so we don't have to read content we have no interest in. I would hate for someone to quit participating because of the classified posts. If you need help opting out of those notices, I'd be happy to walk you through the process. It's easy.

  12. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    36
    Since I have bought and sold machines on Ebay, I like to see things for sale here, too. And I think some just need to skip reading the classified section if they are not interested. I read it for curiosity's sake, and I do hope that if someone is stung by an offer that was not as pictured or described that someone would tell us about it, too! I still think that one person's trash is another person's treasure, and the sewing machine you might not want is one I might love to buy!!

  13. #38
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    When I look at the classifieds and don't know the name I always look at the joining date. I have only bought a couple of things here and so far so good. I would not buy from a newbie and I think some of the things posted lately have been priced way too high.
    I completely agree with beachlady...You don't need to look at the classifieds. I've bought before, sold, and sent "gifts" to a couple of girls that needed fabric that I was happy to send.

  14. #39
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,183
    Blog Entries
    3
    i deleted a few posts. i think this conversation will be more helpful if we keep it general. let's avoid the temptation to name names.

    discussion ... good
    respectful debate ... good

    arguments ... not good

    don't make me pull over. ;-)

  15. #40
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i deleted a few posts. i think this conversation will be more helpful if we keep it general. let's avoid the temptation to name names.

    discussion ... good
    respectful debate ... good

    arguments ... not good

    don't make me pull over. ;-)
    Yes, MOM...I'll behave....

  16. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    36
    Thanks!!!!

  17. #42
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    humph! LOL! :lol: :lol:

  18. #43
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    255
    At the other end of the spectrum are the people who read about free stuff you're offering and join that day to ask for it. Happened about a year ago.

  19. #44
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,403
    I have noticed several that posted just to sell and one that was advertising a show and put up info on that. I don't think it is right for someone or more to try and tell admin what he should allow or not allow. Making the rules should be a privilege of owning the board.

  20. #45
    Super Member Lockeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    2,331
    I just wanted to drop in to say hi.....since I have been selling some fabrics since last week..something new for me - and just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.
    No, I don't have a store....I simply have a lot of stuff and thought this would be a good way to offer some of that stuff to other people - many have taken advance of that - and packages have left from here to there and everywhere over the last week - this week...
    I have been a part of quilt forums for quite some time - the Garden Forum, TOR, and now this one - I love the forums....and for me - being able to sell here is great...just amongst ourselves..a lot of us know each other - others we get to know though our message, etc.
    I have also bought many things in the quilt forums...I have also received gifts though the forums - I also send out squishies when I see a good chance to make someone's day....
    I just wanted to speak up becaues it seems to me that mainly the people upset are the ones who would never buy - but the people who are interested in finding something fun and exciting for that next project without having to leave the comfort of their home are very happy to pick up bits of this and that from the various people selling in the selling/buy/swap forum....
    I hope that I haven't upset anyone...that surely wasn't my intention....
    No one's ever contacted me negatively about this anyways..but I still see this threads getting various comments and I just wanted to join in....
    .....I a bit lost as to why all the hype actually - because in the end - if you want to buy or sell or swap you go to that forum - if you don't - why be bothered.....to me it's a simple thing.....
    Hugs to everyone!!!!!

  21. #46
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    When I look at the classifieds and don't know the name I always look at the joining date. I have only bought a couple of things here and so far so good. I would not buy from a newbie and I think some of the things posted lately have been priced way too high.
    I agree.

  22. #47
    Super Member Lockeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    2,331
    I agree that everyone should do what they feel comfortable with with regards to purchasing - not purchasing - etc. etc. ..you should never go outside of your comfort zone...

    I sell the things that I do because I have them and don't need all that I have and it will be great to move with less things in my sewing room...

    At the same time, I don't think that I need to give it all away...I am sure that I were put Free on it all it would be gone in an instant...but I have been listing at a decent price based on what I paid....I think that we all have to look at the seller, we have to look at the quality - the fabric..the selection..there's a lot of things to consider..sometimes is just that one of the sellers may have just the piece that we've been looking for for that special project....
    I have had a couple of people write to ask to swap fabrics for fabrics that I have listed.....or if I would give them a special deal on pieces, etc...
    I don't get upset about that - it's all in communication....
    I have been having fun - people are finding things that they like - for me it's a win-win situation...
    If the items I list don't sell it's really not a problem either..this is not my work..I don't do this for a living...and because of that I can afford to have fun and not worry about it. If things don't sell they go right back into my stash.... and we all know that a bigger stash is never a problem for any of us :-)

  23. #48
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    I am a newbie, but I love looking at the various things for sale. I have already purchased some fabric from another member. I didn't even think about the credibility of the seller (although I think I am pretty sure I will get the fabric :P ). So, after reading these posts, I am going to rethink purchasing from the classifieds section. I don't want to get burned and because there really is no safety net (as with Ebay), having someone post something for sale, take the money, then never send the item seems like it could be a real possibility. Until I get to know more members, I am going to hold off purchasing unless a member has been here for several months and is active on the rest of the boards. That way, I know they care about their reputation and would not want to defraud another member.

  24. #49
    Super Member Lockeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    2,331
    Misty Marie,
    I agree...we all have to be careful - especially if we don't know much about the person - I must agree with that point. The only thing is that if you don't try though you never know - but sometimes you can check with others who have communicated with or purchased from and see what their comments are...that may be a good checking point.
    Just an idea.
    Bill

  25. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Going to jump in and add my two cents for what it's worth. The classifieds are like TV ~ if you don't like what's there don't look. We are all (I assume) adults on here that are responsible for themselves. I, as an adult, can choose to look there or not look there. I can also choose to purchase something or not. IF I choose to purchase something and it doesn't work out then it's my problem, not this forums. It is a bonus that a "for sale" thread is even offered. If a purchase doesn't work out, then that is a risk that I chose to take. I could have just as easily not taken the risk.

    As Bill stated, we all have to be careful. That's life. There are no guarantees about anything. But, I for one, do not see the problem with people listing things for sale and letting forum members make up their own minds whether to purchase or not.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.