Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
    I may not be online much, I am in the hospital with pneumonia and a plueral effusion.
    Sending gentle hugs & get better soon wishes!
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM
    elm

Sorry to hear you are so sick. What is plueral effusion?
    Get better quickly!
    Originally Posted by createfourpaws
    I may not be online much, I am in the hospital with pneumonia and a plueral effusion.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Don't forget the jello. I don't know how people feel about artificial sweetners but sugar free jello is a tasty treat and the gelatin is supposed to be good for nails and hair and now I'm reading it can even promote collagen in your skin. At my age I need all the collagen I can get.
    Old 09-20-2011, 01:19 PM

four paws-I am so sorry to hear that you are ill with lung issues. I literally feel for you.

Do all the rest you can, it takes 6 weeks to recover from pneumonia no matter what someone says about "I felt better in 2 weeks." Pleural effusion is very painful, allow yourself to rest and heal.

You are in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    MJ
    Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
    mim

Thinking about pneumonia -- Has everyone gotten their shot?? My DH has and I'm not sure -- I'll have to check with my primary doc.

We both got our Flu shots at the pharmacy today -- and the good news is that the shingles vaccine is now in good supply. The Pharmacist also said that Medicare would pay for it.

Mim
    Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
    elm

Can't take flu shots, but have found a homeopathic remedy that has worked for me for the past several years.
    Originally Posted by mim
    Thinking about pneumonia -- Has everyone gotten their shot?? My DH has and I'm not sure -- I'll have to check with my primary doc.

We both got our Flu shots at the pharmacy today -- and the good news is that the shingles vaccine is now in good supply. The Pharmacist also said that Medicare would pay for it.

Mim
    Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM

I got my flu shot for free today at Walmart. There was a nurse stationed by the front door begging us to get them, as long as we had medicare.

One more thing done to get ready for winter.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM

elm-- your comment about the flu shot reminded me- i can't take the 'normal' flu shot (no surprise there!lol) because i am allergic to thimerisol, a preservative used in eye products alot. it's a very rare allergy, but the good news is, you can now get a thimerisol-free flu shot at walgreens. the shot isn't cost free. but hopefully will allow me to be flu-free!
    4paws-- you should be feeling better with all these good wishes! hope you are, and the good wishes are still headed your way!
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop

My weight is still going down. I have lost another 6 pounds. I am still running and thinking seriously about doing the marathon in January. Ya think a 67 year old (by then I will be 68) is too old to run a marathon?
    cottontop, I say definitely GO FOR IT! If your body is dealing with the pounding and you are remaining uninjured, then do it. I don't think your age should be a hindrance at all. I envy your ability to run!
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I guess I am just gonna sleep my week away. I just hate being sick.

It has been almost 10 days since my last walk. I am on the schedule to walk a half marathon on New Years Day - something I really wanna do at least once. Two years ago, I was training to run the full marathon, but as you know, my knees couldn't handle it and I had to drop out. Since I have been grounded and ill, my knees are really good. Today I was able to pull my right heel to my butt - something I cannot do when I am walking 20 miles a week. I have to exercise to control my weight. Plus, my body craves movement.

The Synvisc One injections that I got in June are expected to give me relief for 6 - 18 months. (The one I got in Nov needed to be re-administered in June - it was the 3 injection series.) DH made a comment that I thought was way out there at the time. I'd like your thoughts.

Since I have been walking so much, he said to be careful that I "don't use it (Synvisc) up". Do you think the more active I am, the shorter the life of the Synvisc? I think it sounds silly. Since my last walk, my knees have quit hurting and full range of movement has returned. I really don't wanna quit walking. I love being outdoors and the quiet time to myself. I am so invigorated when I'm done. I've been limiting those activities that might interfere with my walking abilities - but then again, I can't do lunges, jumping jacks, etc.

I don't know what I'll do if I have to quit walking. Cycling has never given me the cardio push I work for. I can do the elliptical, but for the rest of my life?

Thanks for letting me ramble.