Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: September Weight loss challenge

Oh good, so glad that you got my FQ. Was just going to ask.
    This has been a different week. On Tuesday morning the Chairman of our Elder board from church passed away. He was just diagnosed at the end of June with cancer. His wife is a friend of mine and is in a discipleship group with me. He was in tremendous pain at the end. The funeral is tomorrow.
    Tomorrow is my birthday. I have a baby shower for a young gal in the morning, then straight to the funeral, then I am having a couple of friends over for dinner and cards.
    Tonight we have our Project Serve. Several of us quilters get together and make quilts to bless others with. We are making quilts for a poor pastor and family in Romania, quilts for young ladies living in a home in Romania and quilts for our local NICU. I am in charge of this. Hopefully we will have at least 6 or 7 show up.
    Sunday my daughter and her two boys are coming up and I believe my son will be home and they are joining our two daughters that live here to give us (DH's birthday is Monday) a birthday gathering. That means that all 4 of my kids, all their spouses and all of my grands will be together on Sunday. I am really looking forward to that! We don't get to see our middle daughter and her two boys very often. Jen is pregnant with a girl due in January. So glad that she's finally getting a girl, her boys are BOYS! Needless to say, my eating will probably be too much and not quite the best foods!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Happy Birthday tomorrow Gayle. I hope you enjoy the visit with your family. How I wish I had some of my kids close by.

Happy Weekend everyone.
    Maureen

Happy Birthday Gayle....Sounds like you will have quite the weekend - and a great celebration on Sunday! Have a wonderful time!! Oh.....and Happy B'day to your hubby too.
    Still behaving myself - still haven't stepped on the scale - but today when i put on my jeans to go to the store, i went to the 3rd notch on my belt instead of the 2nd and the bum felt a lot looser...(i never have had much of a waist anyway!!).....so i feel encouraged !! Fingers crossed.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    Happy birthday Gayle. I went to a trunk show yesterday with Jenny Doan. She was really interesting and funny. It was a good show. There was also a one stop shop hop with it. I didn't buy too much because it was mostly precuts and I am not a precut fan. I always want something different than is in the precut pack.
    I weighed in yesterday, I stayed the same. I was happy with that since there was so much food at work this week. We had a wedding to go to last night. I limited myself to one glass of wine so I wasn't too bad. I did have a piece of cake. I do have enough WW points to cover it. NOw back to eating right.
    I have the fit bit zip also. I didn't see why I needed the fancier one. I was hoping to ride my bike today, but it rained last night. Hopefully it will dry up soon.

Happy Birthday, Gayle!!
    I had a great time at my retreat. It was at a friend's cabin so there was no cost besides the gas to get there and providing a meal. I am working on an I-spy quilt. It's driving me crazy! 200 hexies and 400 triangles. Ugh.

Blog Entries
    I am still struggling. Someone get me back on track ---please!
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Got back last night from a trip to Spring River in Mammoth Springs, Arkanas. My husband and I went with our son and DIL. Had a great time relaxing and resting. They took me over into Thayer, MO and I got to shop at the fabric store that someone mentioned a while back on here. It was heavenly. Great, name brand fabrics were for the most part $4.49 a yard. I found a few pieces and will show them later. I have a business card with the name of the place but it's getting late and I'm tired. I'll get it on here tomorrow maybe. As for losing weight...didn't happen this weekend.

Hi all,

Pete I saw your message and i understand how you feel. I feel like I also have been struggling some. I had to sit down and so I had to have a talk with myself last night. I want to change my pattern of losing weight and then regaining. I want to jump off of the weight loss roller coaster. The wake up call for me was a knee injury at the end of January and after my surgery in March I decided that I needed to get this excess weight off so that I could possibly prevent the need for a total knee replacement in the future or at the very least be in better shape if I do ever need one. Since April I am down 33 pounds but I have not been quite so pure with my eating habits lately. Last night I revisited all of the reasons I want to get my BMI to within healthy range and those reasons haven't changed so this morning I am bound and determined to change my mentality when it comes to food. I am going to choose wisely for fueling my body with energy and not with empty calories that do nothing for me but make me feel guilty. I know that the harder part of my journey will be keeping the weight off but I know that I can do it if I just take it one day at a time. I am planning my meals and snacks and recording everything I eat in my Fitness Pal.com ..
    Good luck to you!
    Maureen

I just discovered this thread, I love this idea!! I'll definitely be jumping in on the next one!!

For anyone who is struggling to lose weight, have you ever tried a low carb diet such as Atkins? It may not be the answer for everyone, but it's working for me right now. I have been struggling for years to lose weight but NOTHING was working. I increased my exercise, counted calories, tried weight watchers, tried fad diets, tried going off diets and then back on. I hadn't seen any weight loss in the past 10 years, not a single pound, just a steady increase in weight.

I've never known much about Atkins, but I always thought it was an unhealthy diet so I never bothered to even look into it. One night I was desperate to try something completely different so I decided I was going on Atkins. I thought I would really struggle with cutting carbs, but it's actually not hard. Once you just do it and find what foods work for you it's actually easy. I have not had a single hunger pain or uncontrollable craving since I started. There are so many high fat foods that I've denied myself for years that I can now eat on this diet and it feels indulgent. I call it my heavy cream diet, because cream is low carb and I tend to have it in something at least once a day It's been just over 8 weeks and I've lost 20 pounds. My clothes are finally fitting me again! There were 3 days out of that time period that I didn't follow the diet due to life circumstances so I estimate that I lost maybe a week's worth of progress, but I'm still ecstatic that I'm finally losing.

After I was on it for 3 weeks my husband (who has much less to lose) decided he was going to do it as well. His transition onto the diet wasn't as smooth as mine, he struggles with eating foods that are higher in fat, which I feel is really important for hunger and energy levels while being on Atkins. But he's adjusted to it now and has seen great results, it's been 5 weeks for him and I know he's lost at least 17 pounds, he might be up to 19 or 20.

Also I've been living with heart palpitations day in and day out for over 2 years now and I noticed that since I started the diet I don't have them anymore. That's worth it right there The other thing I like about it is that when I'm finally close to my goal I'll start increasing my carbs and find a happy medium between eating carbs and maintaining weight.

Hope someone can find this helpful! It's not hard, and it's not torture, I promise!
    Megan

Blog Entries
    Hi Megan and welcome to our group. I have tried them all too. I tried the Adkins and it wasn't for me but my friend did awesome on it. I do find I do best when I cut way back on my carbs too. We all need to find what works best for us. I did lose weight on Adkins, just not my style of eating. I do like the advice to cut back on carbs I think most of us would benefit from that. My biggest problem right now is that I need more exercise!
    I am starving. I am getting alternative allergy treatments. They work really well, but I can't have anything but filtered water for 3 hours afterwards. I forgot to pack a snack in my lunch today. 45 minutes until I can have dinner. It is all cooked as I never know when my DH and DS will be home. I just make dinner and eat whenever I feel like it.
    My sewing machine is acting up again. I don't like any of the local shops for repair so I need to drive about an hour to get it worked on. Hopefully I can get out of work on time tomorrow and get it there. Unfortunately I will have to drive home in rush hour traffic. I have an old machine to use it just doesn't sew as nicely. I need to make up a class sample for guild in November. We are doing classes on how to use precuts. I am going to use hexagons. I always have to be different. I will teach the pattern Hexagon Shuffle. It is free on the Kaufman site.
    Pat

Welcome Megan! I tried a low carb diet (South Beach) several years ago. It gave me horrible stomach/intestinal problems. I know I need to cut back on carbs but I can't cut them out.
    Pat, I just had to see what the hexagon shuffle is. Looks like fun. I love it. Here's a link if anyone else is interested.
    http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_hexagon-shuffle.pdf
    I am working on a hexie quilt. It is an I-spy quilt. 200 hexies all fussy cut and 400 triangles. I found the tracing and hand cutting oddly therapeutic but I worked on sewing the triangles over the weekend and that got pretty tedious. I have another quilt retreat in October where I hope to get it put together. This will be a quilt that I will keep at my house for the grand kids. Allie is almost 19 months and is already having fun just looking at the hexies.
    I went on a 3 1/2 mile walk this afternoon with a friend/neighbor. Perfect fall day and the leaves are just starting to turn.

200 hexies and 400 triangles !!!!!!!!!!! That makes my brain hurt !!!!!
    Pete - sorry you're struggling....any chance you could do something different --- put on some jumpin music and dance like crazy for 15 minutes - sometimes you just need to give your metabolism a push.
    Just stopped in to say hi....This week is Season Openers for the few shows i watch on TV....have my machine set up and ready to sew....can't just sit in from of the boob tube and do nothing. I can get an amazing amount stitched during the commercials !!!
    HAPPY AUTUMN EVERYONE !!! (tomorrow)

Blog Entries
    I have a tv on a shelf right in front of my machine. Not a very good one but it works. I run my shows and look up from time to time at the important parts. I just need to remember to take my foot off of the pedal before I look up at the tv. I forgot once and sewed thru my finger. I missed the bone so it wasn't too bad. I have been hand sewing a binding all evening. My fingers are tired so it is time to quit. I made it just short of halfway around a twin size. I am not a big fan of hand sewing. I need this one finished by early October.

I know this has nothing to do with our weight loss - but i was feeling pretty low today - just one of those things - you know how it is....
    Then this evening i got a call from my 11 year old DGD....she picked up her new glasses yesterday - and called to tell me that the glasses case didn't fit into the little purse that she uses every day at school - so would i please make her a quilted glasses case. Made my heart feel good that she thought Mimi could "fix it". Made the case this evening and will give it to her tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Penni, we all have our low days. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. It is amazing how our grandkids can pull us out of a funk.

Is anyone here doing yoga? It's a busy time of year for me so for right now I'm mainly walking and going to yoga. It has been 2 times a week and I was disappointed I couldn't go more, but I signed up to help at my son's school the next 8 or so Mondays right when my other yoga class is so I'm only making it to my Wednesday class for now. I find it really helps me build strength. My husband's Grandmother does yoga and I'm always blown away by how young and vibrant she is. I believe she is 88. So I try to focus on her every time I feel like skipping class

Sorry to hear Atkins hasn't worked for some of you. There really isn't one diet that's for everyone. What's funny is that my tummy troubles actually got better since going on it. I have a couple friends that diet based on their blood type. I thought that was an interesting concept and goes to show just how different each of our bodies respond to diet and exercise.
    Last edited by meganc731; 09-24-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Penni, how are you doing this morning? I hope you have a great day.
    Pete, have you gotten back on track? I'm having problems too. My eating has been bad and I can't seem to make myself get back to tracking. What a waste that I am paying for WW and not following the plan. I should be giving that money to charity.
    Megan, I like yoga and find it very helpful. Am I doing it? No. I need to get back to that too. We all should be doing it.
    Ok, ladies. Let's all have a good day of healthy eating and getting in some activity.

Thanks for the kind words and support....Y'all are GREAT !!! Looking for a great day today - beautiful weather in my little corner of the world....taking the grand-baby for a long walk in the stroller when she gets up.
    Wishing everyone a great day - What was the standard line from Hill Street Blues...???? .."Everyone be safe out there" !!

Quote Originally Posted by meganc731 View Post
    Is anyone here doing yoga?
    Yes, Megan. I do a Gentle Yoga and LOVE it!! Nothing too strenuous but it helps my back a lot and I know that I'm going to have a really good night's sleep afterwards.

Blog Entries
    I would like to try yoga. I would need a beginners class as I am soooooooo not flexible. I just checked my fitbit and it said only 3100 steps for today. I was sure it was broken as I did a lot of walking and stopped at 2 stores on the way home. Well when I put my glasses on things looked so much better, it actually said 9100 steps. ( it is hell getting old) I bought some honeycrisp apples, they are so good.
    I went to my daughters apartment to pick up the last of her furniture. She just moved to Florida. Well there is a lot of construction around her apartment and the roads have all been changed and it was dark. I took a wrong turn and got a tour of some of the less desirable areas of Cincinnati. Wow some of those areas are really run down. I haven't been thru there in years. (I made it out alive)
    I am doing pretty well with eating this week. We have a pig roast to go to on Saturday that will be dangerous. There will be so much yummy food.

Just checking in - still 100 degrees here in Arizona. Hope everyone has a great week.
    bjsmith57

yoga changed my life. All for the better.
    I could say that about a lot of things, but I flunked PE in highschool because I couldn't climb the rope or do more than three push ups. I can do both now, many times over. Anyone who thinks yoga isn't exercise needs to try it for a few weeks.

About flexibility, you never do a full anything the first time, it is the repetition for 3 or 4 times that lets you relax into a pose. I just stood up and did a forward bend, finger tips barely touch the floor. But 4 repeats, relaxing into the pose each time, and my hands are flat on the floor.
    I got out of the habit of going to class when I was dealing with cancer, I miss it now but don't want to drive that far. I have about 10 yoga DVDs, so I can alternate teachers.

Off my soap box but I really think 'yoga is for anyBody'

Still holding at 152 this month, am so happy. But I have a small BMI chart on my fridge that shows 5'1" @ 152 is barely out of obese and at the very high side of plain old fat. Sob. I feel good and as I absolutely refused to buy myself bigger clothes or go to elastic waist on everything, all my old clothes are now new again

Hang in everyone. At my age it is about health, not beauty...I don't want to be dead saying "I wish I hadda" for eternity.

Hope everyone's doing well. I think you have convinced me that i need to check and see if our local YMCA has yoga classes....i bet they do.

Currently i'm preparing myself mentally for our jaunt to the Texas State Fair on Saturday with our DD and DSIL. For those of you who don't know the back story about our Fair ... you can get deep fried ANYTHING in the world......from Turkey legs to pickles to Snickers bars. I think it was last year they "introduced" deep fried butter. Seriously!! Staying AWAY from those vendors - and the corny dogs - but i must confess that i will have to have a funnel cake. Just one - and it will probably be the only one i have this year....so that's my excuse.
    Looking forward to checking out the quilts on display again this year. It's both inspiring and intimidating to walk around and look at some of them. Will take some pics and share.

Penni, I went to the TSF website and looked at some of the gross things they are breading and deep frying and calling food. Yuck! I'm pretty sure all state fairs are doing similar.
    Here's an interesting article about a woman's success with a low carb diet. If you have a couple of minutes, it's a real motivator.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/column...ition_20140925

I like fried food and I really, really like sweets. But some of the things I hear about do not sound appetizing to me at all!

I'm ready for some good apples, they sound good, Pat. I love making homemade applesauce with my kids.

I'm headed out to dinner, I've been wanting a salad. I hope I stay strong and order something healthy!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast