Serger recommendations

Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 AM
DJ

The self-threading machines will cost quite a bit more, I think. I took a class just yesterday that was free at my local machine shop. It was just the basics of serger machines. Everyone brought their own machine, and she went over (and over) threading. It really took the mystery out of threading. I learned a lot and it was well worth every penny. LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 AM

My serger is a New Home that I have had for well over 15 years. I have used it for dressmaking, and edge finishing on many swaddle blankets of flannel. She has gotten quite a workout! The adjusting knob is frozen! It is a 4 thread and I can now only do the 4thread edge stitch - but that is a all that I have used it for. -- I cut the thread of each spool one at a time, replace the spool and tie the new thread to the old one with a single overhand knot and then, one by one, I pull the new thread through (Have to help it go through the needle eye on 2 threads) but in short order I have my serger rethreaded! May not be "orthodox" but it has worked for me for many years! I COULD rethread it but why? She is a basic serger and has served me well.

I LOVE this Board and you members are ALL AWESOME. Mostly I cannot add to comments others make in threads so I just nod and agree and LEARN -- and maybe I am "lurking" but my love goes out to each of you! And my thanks too!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I have a Husky and love it...
Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
This would be my first serger! I don't sew a lot of clothing but I do sew pillowcases, bags and such that I think could be done so much faster on a serger. I am going to a serger info day soon- of course, they will be demo-ing their brands but I am open to any brand recommendations from you all. Thanks.
I recommend BABYLOCK for a serger--it is a great machine and has "air threading"
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 AM

I have a baby lock evolve which I use more than my machines. It is well worth te extra money. Have had no trouble with it for 10 years and it does a lot of mileage.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I have an old Pfaff, love the stitch and would get one of the self threading ones if I could afford it. It takes me as longer to thread than it does to sew an item.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I have a brother 1034D and I am quite pleased with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM

If you can afford it, by all means get the Babylock. I've had the Evolve for about 10 years and absolutely love the jet-threading and the self-adjusting tension. My first serger was another brand that drove me crazy with tension probs and breaking threads. The Babylock is a dream and worth every penny.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 PM

I too bought a Babylock with the "puff of air" threading. I love it and have used and used it. It is sturdy and makes stitches with appropriate tension. It is a workhorse! I have used and used it. I would not want to be without a good serger.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM

I just bought a Huskylock 21. I couldn't pass it up. Its almost the top of the line, one down, I think. It was orginally 1200 and on sale for 300. It had been a floor model and when my store changed locations they found all of these machines, emb, sewing and sergers that had gotten set aside. Now that they are in the new store they want to sell what they don't need. This week the also had no taxes, the store picked that up and also 24 months free financing. What a deal. In may I've signed up for a serger, I guess you can call it a class. We will learn all kinds of things along with quilting on sergers. Its thru our sew n vac so I don't even have to bring my machine, we ALL will have one to sew one. They are also getting ready to start a serger club so it'll be a great way to learn. I haven't used one in over 20 yrs and that was minimum use so I'm learning from scratch. I wanted a self threader buy saving about 800 was worth learning to thread it. One trick I saw on utube. Use a needle to thread it thru the bottom half and up to the needle. So excited.