Serger recommendations

Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 AM

I have the Brother serger. I love it! It even handles fleece really well without clogging up everything. I don't find it that hard to thread because they color code the cones, wheels, and corresponding needle paths. Just open the front door and follow the colored lines. Yes, it takes longer because we're threading 4 needles rather than just 1 on a regular machine, but with the colored visuals, I really don't think that it's harder -- just longer.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM

I have a Bernina 1300MDC serger that I found on craigslist for half price of new. It had been only used once at the first class. I paid to take the classes at my dealer and found it very easy to use. Threading was just not that big of a deal once I figured it out. It is a combo machine - it does coverstitch which is the double needle hem at the bottom of a t-shirt. The first thing I did - even before I took the classes was to thread it and do a rolled hem on a set of napkins. I just love what it can do. The Berninas are made by Juki and Juki has comparable models (just no LCD screen) that cost less. I think the Juki 735 is the same as the Bernina 1300 - and Juki made a full-color threading chart for all 24 stitches which I use instead of the Bernina manual. I can buy Juki feet, too.

Last edited by Skyangel; 05-27-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM

I have an older Kenmore serger but I think it was made by Janome. Mostly, I use it for fast seaming of the pet blankets I make for the animal shelter. I think almost anyone can use a serger at some time.
Serita

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I just purchased a Janome serger. My old Huskylock finally died after a lot of
use. I would really like a Baby Lock self threading, but they are quite pricey. I use it for serging around my quilts before binding, making and attaching piping, lots of things. There are 2 main types- the serger only and a serger/ coverstitch combination, then there is a cover stitch only. I decided that the less pricey but reliable Janome serger was the one for me. It will do everything I need right now, was not difficult to thread and didn't cost an arm and a leg. As well, attachments are available for piping, ruffling, beading and more. My dealer recommended the Janome as a reliable machine. Oh- do take the classes that are available to you- they will open your eyes to the possibilities.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM

I have a babylock imagine and a babylock coverstich. Love them both! I've had them for years and made tons of swimsuits. I leave my serger up all the time but they're both so easy to set up. Coverstich is a tricky machine to use well, IMO. I still like it though. I thought I wanted industrial machine but I don't really like apparel sewing enough. They are easy to store for me as well.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Also I wouldn't get a combo machine. When I have to use the CS I always end up going back and forth between machines. I'd lose my mind if I had to keep changing the set up.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I just bought a Huskylock 21. I couldn't pass it up. Its almost the top of the line, one down, I think. It was orginally 1200 and on sale for 300. It had been a floor model and when my store changed locations they found all of these machines, emb, sewing and sergers that had gotten set aside. Now that they are in the new store they want to sell what they don't need. This week the also had no taxes, the store picked that up and also 24 months free financing. What a deal. In may I've signed up for a serger, I guess you can call it a class. We will learn all kinds of things along with quilting on sergers. Its thru our sew n vac so I don't even have to bring my machine, we ALL will have one to sew one. They are also getting ready to start a serger club so it'll be a great way to learn. I haven't used one in over 20 yrs and that was minimum use so I'm learning from scratch. I wanted a self threader buy saving about 800 was worth learning to thread it. One trick I saw on utube. Use a needle to thread it thru the bottom half and up to the needle. So excited.
ok, I know that in this post I said I got the Huskylock 21 and I did. While waiting to get lessons from the dealer I went to a Brother Serger event and fell in love with the Ovation, I love the air threading and the wave stitch. Since I just refinanced my house I knew I could afford it. Plus I know that I can sell my Huskylock 21 and get my money's worth out of it. I only paid the 300 plus tax when its a 1200 dollar machine, so that should be able to recoupe. I still think the Huskylock is great and its fairly easy to thread and mine is under warranty since I had it about a month but I love the Ovation and decided to treat myself.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 PM

I have the Brother 1034D..it was a fair price (a bit more than 200 ...) I bought it from Amazon....I was,t sure if and how to use it but the videos that came with it were good and I really start using it more and more and today I just can,t live without it....... I don,t use all the features it has ...and yes, it does have the differential feet.....I really made plenty of things with it....like decorative pillows and more....If I ever buy a new one it will be one that threads itself..but only because I am getting older and my eyes are fading....
Old 10-21-2016, 11:01 AM

I have a brand new Babylock serger for sale. It has hardly been used I bought it a few months ago but have not learned how to use it..
Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM

The serger for sale is an enlighten by Babylock 1800.00
Old 10-21-2016, 02:35 PM

I would like to have more information from quilter1 about serging around her quilts before binding. Could you explain why you do this, etc. I have a serger that is just sitting there since I am making quilts. I am wondering if I should dust it off and start using it for this purpose.