Serger recommendations

Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 AM

I have a Babylock Evolution with air threading and automatic tension. Taking class occasionally but need to use it more. I am sending you a personal message.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Tidewater Sew n Vac is having a Serger class in May, the 15th, 16th or 17th. Everything is supplied, the use of Brother machines, the kits and lots of instructions. I'm so excited about it. I'm going on Thursday and from what all was said this weekend I should learn alot. I love going to classes, retreats, etc where all I have to bring is myself. No lugging machines or supplies, I don't even have to bring lunch. What a deal.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

I own a Huskylock 1003 made by Husq., and a Babylock Evolution. I have to tell you gals that, although I respect the comments from those of you who love your various machines, I can't stay quiet about the Babylock Air Threading (self threading). I have to tell you I was employed by a Husqvarna Viking Dealer for many years and that being said I naturally bought a Huskylock 1003 top of the line at the time, with my empl. discount, which I never use. I also was Professionally trained to teach "New Owners Classes" on all the Viking models and several other brands that they carried. FIRST thing I was told when I was hired, was that I was NOT PERMITTED TO mention (in the classes I taught) that I also owned a Babylock Eclipse, self threading machine, at home (which I later traded up to the BL Evolution). I watched my students "Struggle" trying to learn to thread the other brands and the frustration they experienced with their new machines. All I can say is that it can be very challenging to thread them and the students eventually did learn to thread those machines but even after you learn how, it's still a little time consuming....whereas the Babylock with the Jet Air Threading system, you only have to slip the thread into a little hole and push a button and the thread goes "Sswooosshhh" in the twinkling of an eye and "IT"S DONE" (about 2 seconds) Oh I would not trade my Babylock for anything on the market!!!!! From my teaching experience I absolutely recommend the Babylock. Even the lower end models have the self threading so prices are pretty comparable to other sergers if you shop around. I would even take a chance on a used BL, they are made so well.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Incidentally........this is Sandrea again. I am not employed or associated in any way with the Babylock Company. LOL. Just wanted to offer some good advise from my teaching experience, because my students used to tell me they felt intimidated by the process of threading the Loopers. Babylock does it all for you.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM

I've had a White Superlock for many years and only used the 3 or 4 thread overlock, not because of the threading, but because of the manual tension stitch adjustments. I, then bought a used Viking 936. Again it was bear to get a nice rolled hem, for example. One day a friend brought her Bernina and her TOL Viking. We spent hours trying to get a perfect rolled hem on each machine to no avail. The next day I bought a Babylock. You choose whatever stitch you want, thread it, and every stitch is perfect. To me, having perfect stitches so easily was the deciding factor, not the threading. The only time I do a sample is try different thread combinations.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by emmy View Post
I've had a White Superlock for many years and only used the 3 or 4 thread overlock, not because of the threading, but because of the manual tension stitch adjustments. I, then bought a used Viking 936. Again it was bear to get a nice rolled hem, for example. One day a friend brought her Bernina and her TOL Viking. We spent hours trying to get a perfect rolled hem on each machine to no avail. The next day I bought a Babylock. You choose whatever stitch you want, thread it, and every stitch is perfect. To me, having perfect stitches so easily was the deciding factor, not the threading. The only time I do a sample is try different thread combinations.
I agree, yes, I would have loved the auto threading but the Huskylock 21 has built in stitches so it sets the tension and having Vikings I knew it was a good machine. I had a Singer over 20yrs ago, still do somewhere and I learned how to thread it so I figured since I was saving over 700 on a great machine, I could figure out the threading thing on my own. The little perks like self threading are great and maybe one day if I use my serger like I'm saying I want to I might invest in one and use this one as a trade in but self threading does nothing if it doesn't sew the stitches right or is hard to figure out. Simplicity is nice but it needs to continue after the machine is threaded, I have enough stress in my life and I don't need a piece of equipment to add to that. I have enough humans doing a great job at that part
Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 AM

I totally agree with Emmy and Romanojg. Really the most important feature is the end result, quality of the stitching, and of all the Sergers I have ever used, Babylock gives the best results, perfect stitches, but to top it off, the BL threads the loopers with the push of a button in the blink of an eye. Then you also end up with the most Professional stitching. Like Emmy said about the Babylock Serger....."You choose whatever stitch you want, thread it, and every stitch is perfect. To me, having perfect stitches so easily was the deciding factor, not the threading". EMMY said the only time she ever does a sample is to try different thread combinations and I agree. Professional results every time.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM

I just purchased the Baby lock enlighten serger. I do a lot of scarfs, as well as I need it for sewing (or serging) the sides of my Embroidery tote bags. It is EZ with the air threading. At first wasn't sure of it, so went back to the dealer. It was me, I had it threaded right, but my problem was I didn't have the pressor foot down. After another 10 min tour, I was up and going ok. I love all of my baby lock machines, very dependable.

They gave me a thread in plus for that one Baby lock will give you another gift card. I don't need a fancy serger, will take some lessons to see if I can do something else with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I have a Bernina and they are expensive. A friend has I think a Baby Lock and hers has a self threading feature. Sergers are difficult to thread so look for one that has the self threading feature. Bernina does not have that.
....money is always an issue.... I got myself a simple brother serger few years ago and I am very happy with it.....it does have some more features and it wasn,t all that expensive...... As for the difficulty in threading....actually I find only the four,s spool thread to be a bit more difficult...but just a bit (once you learn it, its not a big deal ) ....twizzers are a great tool for making the threading easier...... So actually the threading is not that big of a problem...unless may be when you are using very old sergers on which the paths of the threads were not marked on.....
Good luck !!!! And don,t be intimidated....i reasure you that you can do it....it may take a bit more of a time.....
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM

I attended the local serger event and came away with no concrete decision. I will go back to one of their stores and work with the store manager there. The event was more of a trunk show and making samples of stitches that could be put into a binder- after buying one of the two sergers. I did learn a lot and met some nice folks. Thanks for all of your feedback including sharing your own stories. The quest continues....