Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice >

Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice

Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice

Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 AM

My GD had this problem and the issue was Celiac Disease. She is SUPER sensitive to gluten. We had her on a usual gluten free diet, but had to go to a picky, picky diet where nothing at all touched her if it might have gluten, including school paste, crayons, toothpaste, etc. We called companies to check on their processing procedures, etc. One tiny exposure such as using soap for a bath that has gluten in it - think bubble bath liquid- would take up to 2 weeks to get out of her system. Because of the Celiac Disease her body gave her no warning she was about to poop. She was so embarrassed when it happened, and before the problem was solved the public schools had told us they couldn't admit her the next year! That would have been her first grade. The doctors didn't tell her father to get extra vigilant, he did it on his own. In fact the doctors had never seen a child that sensitive to gluten.

Last edited by TanyaL; 01-31-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 AM

This is abuse and it will get worse. Support your daughter. When a child is constantly critcized about anything it causes problems later in life. I am not saying not to disipline or to spoil a child . I think the chiropracter is a good idea. Find one who is experienced with children. Ask around, get references in person not what it says on their website. Being cruel is NEVER a teaching experience.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GladGrams View Post
A a Grammy who lives many more than 900 miles away, my best advice is to do nothing and allow the family to work it out themselves. Be supportive, listen and only offer advice or do something if asked. Grandparents suffer when they see their children and grands having problems, but there is so little we can/should do other than "be there."
I agree with this. Additionally, though, if you learn of a treatment that they have not used, you should share that and allow them the choice to use that treatment or not. I know, it is very hard to see and not help.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
My oldest grandchild will be 4 Sunday. He is not completely potty trained yet and still poops his pants. SIL had this problem until he was 4th grade or so. Naturally my SIL is emotionally scarred from this. My daughter has taken my grandson to a gastroenterologist, a psychologist and the family physician. They all say to reward him, which my daughter does, when he goes and not make it negative. She and her hubby have had disagreements about this. Of course he's never talked to any doctors, just goes by his experiences. Tonight he picked up the little guy from preschool and the class was outside, and DGS was playing by himself. When SIL got into the car, instead of asking DGS why he's playing by himself, he told him kids don't want to play with him because he poops his pants. DD said DGS was sad and didn't want to eat, but he said he didn't feel well. They've all been sick, so nothing unusual. At dinner SIL said he's tired of being nice about it and is going to do it his way. She told SIL if he continues this, she won't allow DGS around him. I told my daughter this is abusive and she needs to make a stand for her child that this will just get worse, blah, blah, blah. It's a good thing they live 900 miles away because I would be inhis face.

Anyway, I had two girls with no problems potty training. Did anyone else experience this with a son??
Yes, Our young son, (now 40) had a hard time, I was a stay at home mom,so I had time to work w/him. WHEN he did go to the bath room praise works wonders, they need to get together on this. It will help your G child & Mom & Dad. Hope this helps. Dot
Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM

Dad is possibly overly anxious because he doesn't want the kid to suffer the same emotional hurt that he did over the issue. They could both possibly benefit from speaking with an expert in the field who can give them some sensible advice as to how to cope with the situations as they arise.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I agree that this is abuse and that DGS should be protected from it.

On a different note, I know of the case of a 6yo girl with this problem. Her mother had taken her to physicians for two years without results. Finally, in exasperation, she took the child to an older, experienced chiropractor. After one session, the girl was better. It took only half a dozen sessions before the problem was permanently gone. The mother was so grateful she wrote up the experience for the doctor's 3-ring binder (which I paged through in the waiting room). I have been unable to find anything about this treatment by Googling, but it might be worth a few phone calls. My understanding is that the nerves were not relaying enough sensory information for the child to know when to get to the bathroom, and the chiropractic treatment re-aligned something. This would not be a problem specifically for one gender or another.
I wasn't going to weigh into this subject since it's such a hot topic until I saw your post. My grandson had a problem from the time he was born where any BM caused him extreme pain; we tried everything, the doctors, diet, laxatives nothing worked. It got so bad that he'd hold his legs together to try and make it not happen because he knew the paint that was coming. At that same time I was going to a chiropractor for my back. Not one that caused you lots of pain but one that used one of those machines that ran down your back to get it back into alignment. He taught me about how the spine works with all of your nervous system and the different parts that we never think about it affecting. My grandson was around 1 1/2 then and I had him to do a scan on him and I had never told him the problems that my grandson had. The scan showed that my GS had issues with his sinuses and his intestinal track. These were the only two problems my GS only had. He did an adjustment and that afternoon my GS had two BM while running around playing and I didn't even know it. I had him adjusted a couple of more times but he's now almost 6 and all is right with the world. Potty training is a tough thing in my family of mostly boys but this little boy did really well. I learned all children need to be checked. Think about what their bodies go thru just going thru the birthing process. What have you go to lose. Maybe this other boy can't feel the sensation of when he's got to go. In most children the BM is normally the easiest thing to get them to train from.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM

I have no experience with this problem. However, I do remember a nephew and a grandson telling me about a girl in kindergarten who went in her pants and how they did not want to play with her. Their parents and teachers did not say anything negative about the little girl, however the children themselves ignored her. Is this an ingrained thing ? I don't kinow but I do know that punishment is not going to work, it will make it much worse. I would try a chiropractor is no one else can help the child, they have helped me a few times too. Good Luck and turn this over to God.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 AM

My son was slow to train as well. Number 1 was very easy once I stopped using the pullups and used the old fashion cloth training pants. I used pullups at night, but he woke up dry from the very start. Number 2 was a little harder to do. He would use the potty for Number 1 and then poop in the pants. He eventually got it right, but it wasn't until he was about 4 1/2 years old. He trained himself just in time to enter PreK4 school. Your SIL may need some parenting classes. Your grandson sounds like he just needs maturity time. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM

How much milk does he drink? He might have an intolerance to it. Has he been tested? You can cut out milk for a day or two and see if it still happens. I can only drink about 3 or 4 oz at one time. Anymore and within a few hours I have to make a mad dash.

Last edited by yngldy; 01-31-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

My youngest son had this problem. The doctor kept blowing me off, saying it was just a stage, this wasn't unusual, etc. I finally got cranky and insistent, and the doc relented and did an xray which showed my poor lil guy had about 6 pounds of extra stuff that shouldn't be there - he was chronically constipated. This will cause a loss of sensation, which means they can't feel when they need to eliminate, and then have lots of accidents.

I'm hoping that since your daughter has taken the boy to see a physician, this has been ruled out, but as I said, it took THREE visits to my pediatrician to find out the cause of my son's problem.